Home

Natural Selection

Nitro

Anyone here play it?

It's a heavily team-based strategic Half-Life mod that's similar to StarCraft. Available from Natural-Selection.org, you can play as either Marines or aliens.

As an alien, you can evolve from your basic form (Skulk) into a builder (Gorge), a flyer (Lerk), a fighter (Fade), or a massive beast of an alien, the Onos. You start with one hive, and must expand to the other two hive locations. These 2 extra hives are important, as the availability of upgrades and advanced evolutionary forms is determined by the number hives you have. Also, the more hives you have, the faster you can respawn the dead. To win, however, you must eliminate the Marines and their ability to spawn. Along the way, the builders can build various other buildings providing upgrades, resource gatherers, healing of nearby units and structures, and autonomous turrets to keep the bad guys out.

Gameplay as a Marine is slightly different. The team has a commander, who views the action from a 3rd person RTS-type view, and is reponsible for spawning buildings, which a Marine must then weld together for it to become operational, giving orders (which come up as waypoints on the Marine's hud), and keeping troops in the field healthy and armed. The Marines must eliminate all alien hives, and do their best to protect the open hive sites.

The dead respawn at a rate of one every ten seconds per spawn point. As an alien, each functioning hive counts as a spawn point. As a Marine, the commander can build Infantry Portals, each one of which counts as a spawn point. This may seem unbalancing, as the Marines can have as many spawn points as they can afford, but the Inf. Portals are just about the easiest thing in a Marine base to destroy, and go down rather quickly if an alien finds his way into your base. An example of the spawn system in question, would be if 3 guys on a team died at about the same time, but only one spawn point was built, then after 10 seconds, one would spawn, then the second in another 10 seconds, and a third after a further 10. Now, figure it again for 2 spawn points. After 10 seconds, the first two respawn, and another 10 for the third. As a Marine, you always want to have two portals up. More are a waste of resources early on, and only having one will cripple you if it goes down.

The game is over when all the members of a team are dead, and have no spawn points from which to get back into the action.

However, I've seen games where the aliens lost all three hives, and the lone remaining player evolved to builder, and built a hive. 3 minutes as the only player, waiting for the hive to finish, then a full team again, and Marines wondering what the hell happened. we came back, got a second hive up in about 10 minutes, and ended up winning.

And don't be discouraged if you spend a lot of time dying at first... It happend to me, and if it doesn't happen to you, I'll be surprised, and declare you Complete Lord and Master of the Quick Stop.

All in all, a great, addictive game, and a sweet-ass alternative to CS.

http://www.natural-selection.org/

I remember when they first started working on this mod. I did not know it was ever finished. I have not kept up with my HL files for a while now. Thanks for the info. I will check them out this week, maybe on the weekend.

This will also give me the excuse to move my HL files to my other HD that I have been wanting to do, just never have done it. :D

I finally moved my files over and grabbed this mod to install. Its really fun and only a few bugs. Takes a few mins to learn whats going on, but its really important to work as a team and communicate to each other, and please listen to what they are saying. If you have not played it yet, definitly give it a try. Its worth it. The Mod files about 91 megs, so I guess the 56kers better sit this one out or just wait a long time for it to download.

Archived