Home

Tactics for Saber fights

Master Toke

Hello all,

I only play against bots and I don't script. That being said, I'm wondering what is a good tactic to use againt an opponent using the blue stance and "rushing" you. Someone created an Emporer Palpatine model that loves using the blue stance. When he rushes me, I usually just keep stepping back until he pauses. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to counter his attacks. It seems anything I try (besides stepping back and avoiding the saber all together) ends with me taking damage (sometimes a lot). Any suggestions?

Also, I have a heck of a time doing the Red DFA move (I hope that's what it's called). It's that uber move where you come crashing down on someone. I can only do this if I've done a regular jump+attack first and then immediately do the DFA (in other words, I have to do the DFA twice in a row). Am I missing something with that?

Kindest regards,

MT

Against someone who rushes you in blue stance, the best tactic is (when you've finished laughing and pointing at him or her) to activate your heavy stance, and stick the glowing end of that stick-thing you're holding, into their body. One overhead should kill them, before they have a chance to deal more than 50 damage.

As for the second, you can do the DFA from the middle of any attack, jumping or not, very easily. This camouflages your intent, if timed correctly.

But you should really play against people. It's the only way to learn some of the finer points of the game.

My favorite tactic is to use the special yellow style move, good evasive maneuver and a really effective hit from above. (also quite amusing if you have dismemberments enabled) If you don't know how to use it, you gotta be in yellow style, and it's forward run+jump+attack. Sometiems it doesn't work, as you have to press the keys in the right order and timing, but you'll know if it works, he does this cool slo-mo flip and some fancy saber move that can take off a head if it hits.

Is the Yellow DFA move the one that ends with you holding the saber straight in the air? I can't seem to hit using any special move. The stance I am most comfortable with is yellow, so I tend to do a lot of horizontal slashes as the enemy runs past me (kinda hard for me to explain).

I've been practicing with the Red stance lately, though. Sometimes I can kill them quickly if I can land a few normal red slashes.

Blue is a fun stance but it takes me forever to kill someone with blue (unless they are already injured). I love watching Emp. Palpatine using blue stance though, lol.

It can be difficult to hit someone with the yellow special move (yes, it's straight up in the air). You have to actually aim it towards the person as they run underneath you....but most people don't run underneath you.

btw, someone must be in front of you to do the yellow special

While we are on the subject of Saber moves, what is one example of a combo/chain? I read that in Yellow stance, it is possible to string together 4 moves but I've never seen this. In fact, I don't think I've ever chained even two moves together.

Can someone give me an example?

just hold attack and a directional button and you chain moves, like foward and attack, or strafing back and forth while attacking.

also, fast stance can be pretty potent if used correctly. i hate it cause you have to be damn patient soemtimes, but none the less, some people are great with it

I love the blue stance, as the moves can be chained indefinitely. forward+strafe(left or right) +attack gives a nice spin that moves the saber in a downward motion, and I like doing this changing from left to right and strafing behind them, and surprising them with the blue special move. In the manual it says it's not ver optent, but I killed Tavion with one of those on Jedi difficulty. Very nifty once you get the style down, you can bring someone down much faster than with the other 2 styles.

I wish I knew how much damage I did when I hit someone. Is there a mod that might tell me that (bots, not PCs)? I swear, sometimes it looks like I land some nice hits but either they don't take damage or they aren't playing their ".wav" indicating they've been struck.

I can see Red being the quickest way to bring someone down but if my opponent is using red, I usually switch to yellow.

I've been using guns a little more to better my aim. I love the Flechette but I find the bowcaster nice is my opponent is at a distance and doesn't have a saber. I tried to hit Desann with a multi-shot (from the bowcaster) and he turned around with his saber right as I released it.. doh!

Originally posted by Master Toke:

I can see Red being the quickest way to bring someone down but if my opponent is using red, I usually switch to yellow.

Bad idea. Strong stance is slow, so when they're using it, it's the best time for you to pop a red-stance counter at them. The slower they move, the easier it is to time your counter-attack. Sabres comes down to who's the best at Red stance... or who's the best at kicking, take your pick. :)

Archived