Home

Destiny of the Future Consoles

Swat

ATI Technologies has confirmed that it plans to release the most advanced graphics processor ever, dubbed R350 beginning next month. According to the company's vice president of engineering Dave Rolston, the R350 will be the best-performing chip through at least the end of the calendar year. More intriguing however, Rolston revealed that ATI is already in negotiations to provide the graphics processor for Nintendo and Microsoft's next game consoles, "We would consider both of those to be of great interest, and we have ongoing discussions with both of players." Nintendo already utilizes an ATI graphics processor in their GameCube console, while Microsoft's Xbox is powered by Nvidia. It's currently unknown whether ATI is pitching variants of their R350 processor for inclusion in the future consoles.

Originally posted by Notion

I imagine that Microsoft will stick with nVidia. After the Geforce FX has died out, Xbox 2 will be on the horizon and nVidia will have one hell of a card to power Halo 3.

I wouldn't bet on it, I've heard deals are falling through with nVidia and Microsoft. ATi probably will power the next-gen systems.

Archived