Home

Guru meditation failure

im_wink

I cannot get into JK2.

whenever i click on the icon or try to Autoplay the cd, i get the error

"Guru meditation failure"

"Assertion Failed:

"LecSetup_GetSetup(g_Env["DataDir"],&m_pLecSetup)"!

File: C:\CWS\cpp\FrameWork\_lfx\Source\lfx_System.cpp

Line: 231

Abnormal Termination.

Select Retry for an enviroment dump."

When i press retry, i go to the microsoft "send error?" box, which says that JediOutcast.exe has encounted a problem and needs to close.

I tried to uninstall but when i go to the add/remove programs in WinXP, i get the message, " An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified."

Curious, i went to my jk2 directory to see if anything fishy was about.

in C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast, (I used the default directory) there were the folders "GameData, Install, Install(2), MotF" and JediOutcast.exe. The the subfolders have all the right files. Install(2) contains all the files of Install plus several pictures and media files. However, there are no other files in the \Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast directory other than those.

Can somebody tell me what is wrong? I dont have a clue! and I wanna play JK2!

I have also come across this error in the past. However, I was still able to play Jedi Knight II but not by executing JediOutcast.exe.

My theory behind it, is that the Visual Basic runtime files are outdated. You can usually download them from http://www.microsoft.com. I believe 5.6 is the latest version.

If you don't have a base folder.

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\

I suggest a clean install of the game.

If you do have the folder, make sure the assets.pk3 files are there.

If you can't uninstall the game, delete the LucasArts directory and run RegCleaner to clean up the JKII registry values.

Do a clean install, and see what happens. I have overcome the problem, by generally avoiding the use of the general JKII shortcuts. If you continue to have problems, post a reply, and I'll see if I can help. :)

Dear Im Wink,

I was wondering if you managed to overcome your probs with Nex's advice?

The reason I ask was last night I encountered once again the exact error message you got. And JKO would not let me uninstall cos I kept getting an error message that one of the files nec for the uninstall was absent or lost. .

Nex's advise worked for me.Of course There are always down sides to a clean install, never knowing what files to save and which to ditch.

I could not tell you the theory as to why it happened in the first place, only what I was doing when it happened. I had just installed the alternate dark kyle sp skin on my XP machine. I did not manage to get this skin to work( I got a character which was like a siamese twin kyle joined at the hip, and one of whom would respond to commands and the other who was just sort of slumped over-this was not even the new skin, just one of the old kyle skins). I panicked, did a system restore and then got your Guru meditation message when I tried to boot up again with JKO.

Anyway, Neks advice worked , in fact using Regcleaner for uninstalling the software and allowing a clean re-install has worked in other similar situations on my other PC (98SE)

Does this uphold your theories Neks? I am interested to nkow, cos its all a learnin' experience innit?

P.S A Siamese twin Kyle, now I come to think about it would make for a brill POTD wouldn't you say? :3headed:

hi, these forum thingies can be frustrating. I had jsut typed out a nice, in-depth reply on how i fixed my problem and what i felt was the reason for the problem, and then i put a period where i meant to put a comma and hit backspace and internet explorer thought that i wanted to go back to my previous page and erased all that i had written. AHHHHGG!

so, anyway. yeah, i succeeded in uninstalling JK2 by going to the setup app in the gamedata folder on the cd. then everything went nicely after that. i didnt use regcleaner(sorry Hekx) but i downloaded it anyway to use on other problems on my pc(thanks).

As to why the error? my theory is that it has to do with the system restore. after reading TrentAbru's post, it came to my mind that i had performed a system restore since the last time i had played JK2. Hmmm... I dont know, it should require more research, but jsut another theory.

ta ta!

It's good to see you fixed the problem.

I had the problem quite a while back, I may have also used System Restore. From my research the error is caused by scripting. So that led me to believe it was the Visual Basic runtime files. I've got rid of the problem now, so hopefully you shouldn't get the problem again. ;)

Archived