Home

Real Monkey Island

apeiron

I live in Maidenhead, Berkshire, England, UK.

Just a few miles from where I live, there is an Island called Monkey Island, where my fiance' and I once planned to get merried.

The island is very small.

Then again, it is amazing to see a signpost indicating where to find Monkey Island.

Monkey Island can be found here:

Bray-on-Thames, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 2EE

position - near Maidenhead

Monkey Island is one mile downstream from Maidenhead

Monkey Island derives from the medieval Monk's Eyot

the island was purchased by Charles Spencer, the third Duke of Marlborough, in 1723

he built the fishing lodge now known as the Pavilion and the fishing temple, both of which are Grade I listed buildings.

monkey island is like springfield, there are so many of them that we never really know which one is the famous one (in this caes, the one with the giant monkey head which doesn't exist). but yes, it definatly does exist.

isn't that just laziness. i mean get a speed boat and you'll be there in less than half an hour (it's only a mile, i could walk that in twenty minutes). and i'm not saying you should go because it's called monkey island and therfore must be special, but obviously some people might want to go there to go fishing.

oh and by the way, is that the same Charles Spencer who was Earl spencer and Lord of althorp (meaning his decendant would be lady Diana?) or is it someone completely different, only i do remember a connection to Marlborough.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by xElaineMarleyx

:dozey: That's just great... 3heart

Too bad I don't particularly care... :sing9:

lol :lol:

I don't actually see what we're meant to post about here, except for directions to get to this 'Monkey Island' you claim exists.

Guess what? That's really mean!

Originally posted by SamNMax

Guess what? That's really mean!

Guess what? You're a month and two days late.

and I was right, Charles Spencer who bought the island was the ancestor to the late Lady Diana, I think Great, great grandfather, or something like that, I don't know which Lord of Spencer he was but the current one is the ninth and I'm guessing the one in 1723 was, what, fifth, sixth? I'm a little rusty on my facts about the family, so i can't be sure, but if the eight was Lady Diana's father, the seventh would have been her grandfather and so sixth would be great great and fifth would be great.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived