Home

The Attack on Yavin series(SP)

master_thomas

1. b (No)

2. b (No)

3. e (dunno)

1. Maybe you should not release any betas, at least of the first map, anymore. Betas can be funny, and the feedback informative to you, but I would rather play the finished product, to speak the truth.

2. Why don't they plan the route before lift off? That would seem a proper thing to do. If you are encountering difficulties with func_statics, you might consider replacing DOWAITs with DOs and careful timing with wait(milliseconds). And remember you can put both moves and rotates in the same task, to be executed at the same time. I must confess I'm not entirely done or satisfied with my own ship movements, but I'm going to have a look at them at some point.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lassev

Well, I would say that only explains why my maps are still not finished. To learn everything by yourself certainly makes sure you actually learn something and not only copy, but on the other hand, and I'm quite sure you, Kengo, will agree with me that it takes too much time, too good nerves and a sturdy screen to survive all fist hits of frustration without splintering...

Your service to the community, Kengo, is great and you can be sure I'll mention your tutorials in the future as often as I've done so far. Even if I haven't read them, I know by other people's posts that they are great and helpful. (But I have visited your site, if that counts!).

Couldn't agree more Lassev, having to try everything over and over until it eventually starts working is very frustrating, especially when you don't know what you're doing wrong! You are too kind :)

The cutscene work sounds very impressive, but from the screenshots (I admit I'm basing this on only seeing certain bits, and I'm sure you've added more since) I think the architecture maybe needs some work. It's getting good, but I think if you went through it all and just added a load more details it would make a big difference.

The beta question is interesting...I have been very annoyed at not releasing a beta and having mistakes I should have noticed in my maps before. On the other hand, you gotta release it at some stage, and too many betas is probabaly not a good idea. I would suggest no more than one more beta. Also, if you haven't added a great deal to the map since the last beta, I don't see a reason for there to be another - yet at least. So it's a matter of asking yourself:

Do I think the map is good enough to release as it is?

> If so I would say decide whether you need another beta or not based upon the amount of changes made from the last beta

> If not then I would recommend working on the map some more until you feel it is good enough to release, then again decide whether you think you need another beta.

Whatever you do though, make sure you release it, it's your first SP map and will have faults, which is only to be expected, but the feedback you get after you release a map is extremely worthwhile, so don't put releasing it off indefinately :)

I'm just gonna lie down again.....

Well, I have added a lot. My brush count has gone into 1100's, I've added two cutscenes, added the towers and sniping post, a new room, forcefield emmiters; many things. One more beta because I'm unsure of some of it. I plan this to be a big series and want it to start out right.

Also, I want to start another map (yes three projects at once). SW museum! Artifacts from ep. 1, pre 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, post 6, and the Clone Wars. None of these will be models (I can't model). Really just practice, but seems like a good idea.

One more beta. If I don't get any more feedback or only positive feedback, out it goes to jk2files, jediknightii.net, and massassi. I might as well, because I still need to improve my e-mail (only 2mb attachments or less).

I want to make this good. Mainly because it's short. As I said before, I'm trying to keep it accurate to yavin_temple, which is pretty small. I don't want people to feel that the final cutscene is a gimick to keep it from mediocrity.

Warning: The rest of this is off topic.

I'm thinking of adding a new page to my site. Cosmology (study of the universe in it's past, future, and evolution). Yes, I'm one of the few thirteen year-olds interested in that, but, hey, gotta pick a career.

New forum. Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. :D

We all perform opublic service within JK2. We prvide hundreds and more with entertainment for free, though, we enjoy it.

This picture is compressed and was taken n nolight compile. Here it is.

10584.jpg

A hailfire missile droid (missile launching(duh) Separatist vehicle from the Clone Wars. One of these fired one of the first shots of the war. They were very effective against fighter tanks and AT-XT's (original AT-ST; Republic), which were the main part of the Republic mobile army.

This will also be in the SW museum.

Took me one hour. It has almost complete accuracy to the movie (except texture).

I'm going to enter these into the storyline. Sidious kept many vehicles of the Clone Wars for his emergency division of ground troops, but when the first Death Star was destroyed, their location was lost, but they've been found. The imperials get some new (old) toys :evil1:.

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

DOOR PROBLEMS!!! The beginning door and a new door won't open anymore! :(

WHY NOW??? I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THEM!

<pounds table repeatedly and eventually calms down>

When they are fixed, Beta2 will be released. After three days, the final will be released unless more feedback is given. Once I can send 16Mb attachments, it will be on JK2.net and massassi.

Work has resumed on part2. While there, I just had to do this with some new droids, which I just placed. :evil2:10651.jpg

(the r2d2 should be imperial, but I killed it while pushing it into place (don't ask) so I NPC spawned a normal one)5...4...3...2...1...0

10652.jpg

Mwahahahahahahahahaha <takes deep breath> hahahahahahahaha!!!<gasps for air>

How do you get them to move around?

If the pictures don't appear for you, it's three gonks and an r2d2 standing over 1 detpack per droid. The second shows the sxplosions and the droids are nowhere to be seen.

How do you get them to move around?

Well, it should work just by constructing a network of waypoints and after that setting the droids in their spawnscript to a suitable behavior_state (it was bs_wander, or something like that, if I remember correctly). Bah, I don't even remember if I have tried that out. There's definitively something wrong with my brains...

Just normal waypoints. Point_combats might be useless as they are only used in battles and the droids are not known for their high prowess in battle. I guess they don't even have any combat AI. Waypoint_navgoals are just for scripting, as far as I know. The behavior_state should do the trick, if it going to do work. Well, of course you could also give them navgoals, they would certainly move that way also. But it would be a harder work if your aim is just pretty aimless movement.

<groan>

Lassev, I tried to fixyour fps problems with hint brushes, which I still don't understand. Now, after adding three, which I then added I get

"Error: Sv_SetBrushModel: NULL"

I ran a brush cleanup, checked my func's. It's now exactly the same as it was before it started occuring. Why must my ****ing computer/programs do this to me? I never did anything bad to them. <kicks the CPU:p> I'll post this in AKPiggot's thread.

Hint brushes are rather tricky, I admit. The theory is sound, especially if you should listen to it at some class room, and you could just forget it afterwards. In practice is can work as good as it is supposed, if used in basic situations. However, when architecture is not as basic as it can get, you'll just have to try it out. Sometimes it does miracles, sometimes nothing changes.

Areaportals, on the other hand, are very easy to use. If you make elevators with func_static, you can also use areaportals with that, but your script must include the command adjust areaportals, otherwise you'll get the good old hall'o'mirrors (HOM) effect.

What comes to your NULL brushes, there I cannot help you. I got them with funcs containing nothing but origin, but never else.

How bad was your fps problem? Mine kept decent (if course my systems in the middle upper end and yours will probably be lower). Area portal with func_door, work, but how again do I place areaportal brushes? I'll check Rich's tutorial on func_doors for that as soon as I get this stupid error gone. I'll do a region compile without entities and see if it works.

Why didn't I look at the junk file before?:o

Ahem. I think I found the problem (I know what this means, don't diagnose)

--- MakeTreePortals ---

--- MakeTreePortals ---

WARNING: node without a volume

node has 0 tiny portals

node reference point 0.00 0.00 0.00

node has 0 tiny portals

node has 0 tiny portals

node has 0 tiny portals

node has 0 tiny portals

229 tiny portals

0 bad portals

Speaks for itelf. I have nodes that are too small. All at 0.00 0.00 0.00? Now That's odd. I'm worried. Oh well, I'll look for those extremely small nodes. I had this error earlier. Always comes in groups of tiny portals :rolleyes:.

I've checked the rest of the junk.txt file. More warnings

WARNING: misc_model at -6328 3008 1152 without a model key
That sort of sounds like the locations of the func_statics, which are all models.
WARNING: Degenerate T-junction edge found, fixing... 1471 verts added for tjunctions
1471? That seems rather high.

I think the misc_model sounds right. What's a T-junction?

Okay I've deleted every misc_model and func_static. I'm almost certain it's either the T-juntion or the node with no volume problem. The only challenge with the node with no volume problem (wow, matches line to line for six words. Freaky lol) is that the coordinates are either incorrect, the numbers there are not coordinates, but are the size, or the whole dang system is screwed up.

I'm now a Wampa. Isn't that the snow beast that almost kills Luke at Hoth?

Kengo, you were right! The showcase thread is a goldmine of posts :D.

I deleted all func_breakables. Getting closer.

So far, there are no misc_models, func_statics, and func_doors. I am certain it's an entity because when I deleted all entities, the error disappeared, but my skyboxes all became skyboxes with notex on the extremely far walls.

Archived