Home

The Attack on Yavin series(SP)

master_thomas

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made that, but it's just a temporary sky. I'm still working on it because I have a little problem with makeing perfectly aligned pics in Bryce at 1024x1024. Sometimes - mostly when I use test scenes which can be rendered in 5 mins - it seems to work. The same setting for the skybox scene not working well, and only two pics takes 3-4 hours to render. So it's a slow process to tune the settings.

Btw. With any skybox it will look like your base is floating in the air. You can't do anything. This is because the sky is drawn infinite far from the player's eyes.

My plan is to try to use the left, right, and front skybox textures for the sides and the actual sky shader for the top. Similar to the way they were used in Kengo's picture. It may not look as good, but it seems my only choice. I don't want it to float 20 ft. in the air.

It seems weird, but the original skies don't perfectly align at the corners anyway. For example, the Yavin sky has some tree branches that suddenly stop at the corners.

Originally posted by master_thomas

My plan is to try to use the left, right, and front skybox textures for the sides and the actual sky shader for the top.

Huh?

One way to get around the floating-in-the-air phenomenon might be to render a skybox with the camera close to the ground. Or, just extend the ground on your map beyond where the player can move.

That's what I meant, but I need a way to make it so either the bottom of the sky brushes aren't visible or make it appear that I'm already at the bottom of the skybox, which can only be done with separate skybox pieces(left, front, right, top). I'll see what happens with the original and post that picture.

How long should the ending cutscene be? It's a fight between Luke and three shadowtroopers.

Ah of course, its open beta. Not sure if theres much point in testing v1 when v2 is practically done then?

As for the skybox stuff, I am a complete novice on skyboxes. Like the guys have said, you'll get these problems with any skybox. What I try to do with open areas is either have walls around the edge that you can't see over, or like Wedge said extend the ground beyond where you can walk.

Final cutscene? Very subjective, matter of preferance. I think people are willing to have the end cutscene the longest as they feel they've 'earned' it by getting to the end, if you want it to be. But it can be nice and short too, whatever you think fits. Just make sure it doesn't get dull, like some of mine!

10490.jpg

The hangar from picture two is on the opposite end.

10489.jpg

This was my decision. I used gensurf for the ridge and put the trees to make it look like the edge of the forest. The player can not exit through the door.

Basically I used one of the things that all mappers must do. Cheat the player into thinking what is not. There still is a 500 ft. drop to the ground, but the player can't see that.

The cutscene features a 30 second battle between 4 jedi, Luke, and 5 shadowtroopers. I may add kyle into the battle(npc with AI. I hope this works) If so, I'll add another shadow trooper if so to balance it out. The camera focuses on Luke for the entire battle.

After the battle, a flyby of the raven's claw and the xwings in the hangar.

The battle works fine, but I don't know how to properly move models, like the xwings and raven's claw, so the flyby still needs to be done. Expect the new beta a week after I figure this out.

The ones at Yavin are number one, which is in beta(available for download there).

Kengo, didn't you see this?

10498.jpg

Lassev requested that the forcefield had emmiters. This is the bottom central one. There are corner ones on the top and bottom.

How do I move the entities through the hangar door? Last I checked, the search function was disabled. I will post this question in the mapping/levels forum when the forums speed up a little.

For some reason, I cannot see that last picture. But I might have still one more suggestion to you. Make the hangar door / last cutscene such that when the battle is over, the player can go and open the doors. But instead of the player just not being (for some unexplained reason) able to go out, make that door opening launch the last cutscene, where Kyle would just walk to Raven's claw, and then fly out of the hangar.

You can make the entities func_static. That is, give them origin brush and a little bit of some other material, like caulk (nodraw might also work), and then put in the key model (or was it model2) to show also Raven's claw or what ever (don't forget clip brushes, if there's still some playing around in the hangar). (So, the func_static is in Radiant nothing but a little piece of origin and some other stuff, the model will only be seen in the game.)

Then just do like with elevators. Mark the path with ref_taqs... And voila! Of course you can also use func_trains, but as I have never used them, I won't say anything more about that. But the good thing is, or course, that they don't need to be solid, when they fly out in a cinematic.

Thanks lassev :D While I waited I started a side project. My own house 'cause it's easy. Whenever I need reference shots, I just look around me ;).

You open the door, which is shown in a cutscene, which plays for a minute and a half and then it ends.

For the picture, you get a white square with a red x in the middle right? Happens to me alot and show picture never seems to do anything, but make the box disappear for a second. It appears for me.

Check the editor's corner at Massassi.

Originally posted by master_thomas

For the picture, you get a white square with a red x in the middle right? Happens to me alot and show picture never seems to do anything, but make the box disappear for a second. It appears for me.

Check the editor's corner at Massassi.

Yeh I get that a lot too...possibly to do with Massassi having a lot of problems with its servers (I can only reach the site about a 1/4 of the times I try if that). The server has been recieving attacks of some kind or something. Bit of a pain...

I'm keeping "PARM" out of this. How can I do this? It's not working. My script looks just like their's(except replacing garbage_hauler and scow with claw). I must be missing something in the map. It's a func_static, the model looks fine, I have the ref_tags properly named and placed where I want it to go, what am I missing? I'm guessing that I need to change how the Raven's Claw is targeted.

Can someone please give me the step-by-step process or direct me to a tutorial for doing this? The script and the mapping instructions. Two waypoints(ref_tags). PLEASE!!!

There must be tutorials of this particular issue somewhere, but it has been such a long time, that I truly cannot remember. You know, I've been doing this scripting thing for such a long time, that I never even read Kengo's tutorials, because they weren't written back then and Kengo hadn't even done his prison_escape...

Well, that's enough of nostalgia. The most important things to remember with func_static:

1.Give the func_static an origin brush, and make it the exact size of a ref_taq.

2. Give the func_static a script_targetname instead of a targetname.

3. Give the ref_taqs an ordinary targetname.

And last of all, have a look at the kejim_post map Raven gave out, or cairn_dock. They have elevators a plenty. Yet, most common errors are those three mentioned above, plus scripting errors (they are easy to fix, no map compiling).

Originally posted by lassev

You know, I've been doing this scripting thing for such a long time, that I never even read Kengo's tutorials, because they weren't written back then and Kengo hadn't even done his prison_escape...

Well, that's enough of nostalgia. The most important things to remember with func_static:

Ah nostalgia...back when we were young and carefree. Not having read my tutorials probabaly helps explain you high level of skill relating to scripting :D

Ah nostalgia...back when we were young and carefree. Not having read my tutorials probabaly helps explain you high level of skill relating to scripting

Well, I would say that only explains why my maps are still not finished. To learn everything by yourself certainly makes sure you actually learn something and not only copy, but on the other hand, and I'm quite sure you, Kengo, will agree with me that it takes too much time, too good nerves and a sturdy screen to survive all fist hits of frustration without splintering...

Your service to the community, Kengo, is great and you can be sure I'll mention your tutorials in the future as often as I've done so far. Even if I haven't read them, I know by other people's posts that they are great and helpful. (But I have visited your site, if that counts!).

Thomas, I'm looking forward to your beta2. With details and cinematics added, it will be a beginning to a great story.

10548.jpg

10549.jpg

:) These I'm proud of. Kyle in my battle cutscene.

10547.jpg

Ooops. This, I'm not. This is three X-Wings and the Raven's Claw. I tilted them(too much) and forgot the remove command. This removal has two purposes. High speed and disposal.

From my caption at Massassi

Error reading rotation command because scripter has no idea what he is doing.

I had quite a fright. For awhile, every time I tried to play the map, I got a "This program has generated and will be closed by windows" error and the game crashed.

I've cleared both problems (also the rotation mistake) up. Now, I need your opinion (Poll 2). I get sort of a pause (really just a slightly noticable deceleration to another acceleration) when they bank up.

I've added some rodians and gave them an elevated shooting cover thing. Nice added difficulty. Gravity influenced shots don't hit them, and they have the forward wall. Effective.

The supports inspired me to perhaps make some clone wars prefabs. Mainly, the giant moving turbo lasers that took down the core ships (HUGE spheres). Why prefabs? Because I can't model and they'll want accurate clip brushes anyway.

Poll: Type the poll number, the letter and answer in your posts please. 2 out of 3 (I'm not expecting many votes)

1. Should I release beta 2 now? I finished the cutscenes, added a room, the sniper tower, and the forcefield emitters. I've added stormies and removed some enemy jedi.

a. Yes

b. No

c. More pictures of each first.

d. Other (please specify and give number in consecutive order after d(for more votes)

Response as soon as I read three polls. Your vote will be granted if possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poll2: Is the pause in flight okay? Looks like they're plotting course or the ships are going into "flight mode".

a.Yes

b. No

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poll3: How does the battle cutscene look?

a. good

b.great

c.nice

d.bad

e. Why are you asking me? I haven't seen it animated yet! :p

Hey, I just thought of another caption for the rotation mistake picture.

"Houston, he have partial lift off."

It actually would sort of remind me sort of like the Space Shuttle in silouette (is this correct spelling?) before liftoff. The Raven's Claw's thrusters as the outer thrusters. And that it looks like (but isn't) it's sticking straight up.

Longest post yet! 2210 characters without this end comment and 2378 with it!

Archived