Home

Which patch is the best?

Kurt_Dunniehue

I just loaded up JK2 the other day, and today I d/led patch 1.04.

I quickly discovered why people prefer 'NF' or 'No Force' in duels.

I was killed under 4 seconds from full health by force grip. Also, force heal seems to be nutured to take half of max force energy.

I didn't bother to become accustomed to the other changes. These first two are enough to keep me from playing.

This game isn't worth it, in my opinion, to even play the game if using force powers is not an option in balanced gameplay. If I can do something in a game, and it'll help me win, then I'll do it. It's something the game allows, thus it's part of the game.

But in the case of 1.04, the game isn't worth ****ing playing.

So what is the best patch balance wise? And where can I find it?

Originally posted by Kurt_Dunniehue

I was killed under 4 seconds from full health by force grip. Also, force heal seems to be nutured to take half of max force energy.

I didn't bother to become accustomed to the other changes. These first two are enough to keep me from playing.

This game isn't worth it, in my opinion, to even play the game if using force powers is not an option in balanced gameplay. If I can do something in a game, and it'll help me win, then I'll do it. .

Ummm..have you any idea how dumb that sounds?

You got the latest patch, noticed that things were different and died.

After 30 seconds of gameplay you declare that the forces are unbalanced and the whole game is crap because you could not beat everyone using...heal?

People prefer no force??? Since when? No they don't. Force powers have never been so well balanced as they are in 1.04.

There are serious problems with 1.04, but you have not addressed any of them (weak sabers, kick etc.).

If you can't be bothered to come accustomed to any changes, guess what: stick with the version that you used to play before.

Just because you can't beat a gripper (USE ABSORB, USE PUSH, USE DRAIN OR YOUR BRAIN) does not mean the game sucks or is imbalanced.

For balance, I would recommend Promod. Not many servers out there that run it though..

1.04 is not for people who like to use the saber. The saber is just about the weakest weapon in the game and only occasionally useful to block blasters.

Kick is by far the most efficient attack. Good duelers rarely swing their saber, it's mostly about different drain-pull-kick-throw-pull-grip-kick-combos.

If you want deadly sabers, play Promod or patch 1.02 or find a server that has upped saber damage.

Absorb works wonders against grip. :)

1.04 is not for people who like to use the saber. The saber is just about the weakest weapon in the game and only occasionally useful to block blasters.

depends on if u want 2 frag with the saber or have a better looking fight luc solar

1.02 = no patch. I doubt you can get back to 1.02 any other way than by uninstalling and installing.

1.03 is horrible. Avoid it at all costs. It's pretty much like 1.04, but there is one move the is unblockable and kills in one hit while everything else is nerfed. If you want to fight face to face with someone instead of butt against butt (the Uber move is the backstab) you'll stay clear of 1.03.

depends on if u want 2 frag with the saber or have a better looking fight luc solar

Trying to kill with the saber in a all weapons game gets you nowhere. Trying to kill with a saber in a saber only game is slow, boring and frustrating.

If movie-like battles is what you want, you better avoid public FFA servers. :D

The saber isn't really useful unless you're playing a no force game (without force jump = kick).

And yeah...it sucks. :(

They never should have nerfed the sabers. A saberist has little chance against someone with explosives. The flechette is the ultimate weapon in 1.04. The lightsaber is supposed to kill in one or if the defender is lucky, two hits. Not ten. This has been said so many times. The thing is, 1.03 and 1.04 fix a bug in SP, that, if it occurs, keeps you from finishing. So people who play a lot of SP, may want 1.04. Just don't get 1.03.

About grip and absorb, I agree. It's wonderful. I get half of my force pool back from one attempt. If someone is either stubborn, or one comes, tries grip, then another tries, I get full force back.

But then again - if you are playing light and end up dueling a competent darkie, you're screwed.

They drain you. If you put on absorb, they'll wait it out and strike the second it goes down. Absorb makes you a sitting duck for a good throw-puller. Short bursts of lightning will make you absorb again and empty your force pool. When you're empty, they'll just grip-kick you dead in a few seconds.

Ph34r the dark side! :D

1.03 was my best and worst.... I loved the move but it was way to easy to pull some one over and kill them... hell in one game a friend of mine scored 85 kills in 20mins with saber only in a gun map.

What made me love 1.03 sooo much was the arse walkers.. you know the guys walking backwards swinging there weapon.. That was what kick was made for :) I got soo many kills from these guys :)

I play on a 1.04 CTF server with Backstab enabled, and i got to say it can make for fast paced games.. plus its a great way to get rid of fanboys and rocket monkeys.. only problem as some times can make a side to powerful as to many darkes on other side.

When i started playing JK again (as i gave up when 1.04 came out as could not be arsed to relearn the game at the time) kick was my pet hate, and thought 90% of players had it bind as i could not get kick in first no mater what i did, but found in the end it was my laggy unit at fault LOL

I play on public FFA server with saber only and NF.

we dont have fragfests, we duel (press X infront of another player)

And then some unsuspecting casual player like Luc sees the Free For All server on logs on.

Luc swings his saber in an attempt to score a point when suddenly the whole server goes nuts: "OMG no HONOUR!! Bow! DuelZ only! LAMER AL3RT! SABER DOWN = PEACE! NO KIX!"

A second later some empowered 12-year old known as -=TKOA=MaC3 V!Nd00H0n0urzBefore4LL! starts gripping me (no force) and screams about honour, respect, laming and something that I don't quite get since I already logged off.

Oh well...to each their own. :)

And then some unsuspecting casual player like Luc sees the Free For All server on logs on.

Luc swings his saber in an attempt to score a point when suddenly the whole server goes nuts: "OMG no HONOUR!! Bow! DuelZ only! LAMER AL3RT! SABER DOWN = PEACE! NO KIX!"

I Get the same i join in to a saber gun force map, spawn near the old right click me for destruction.. wade in guns blasting mowing though the players... then i look up and see.... NOOOB no guns... WFT is that spose to mean... then stop to say huhhh then carry on with me guns :p

Originally posted by Kurt_Dunniehue

I just loaded up JK2 the other day, and today I d/led patch 1.04.

This game isn't worth it, in my opinion, to even play the game if using force powers is not an option in balanced gameplay. If I can do something in a game, and it'll help me win, then I'll do it. It's something the game allows, thus it's part of the game.

So what is the best patch balance wise? And where can I find it?

Luc beat me to it, I don't know whether to commend you for brilliant comedy or to flame you. In either case, you sound ridiculous. 1.04 is the best patch balance wise. Downloading another patch isn't going to instantly make you a good player. And your complaints have nothing to do with the patch. You will be killed that way with any patch, since you seem to refuse to learn how to counter grip, which has been there since the beginning. Wait until you face a pull-kicker or pull-thrower...the hills will be alive...with the sound of whining.

But your right about one thing, if after 4 seconds you decide you can't own everyone and you don't want to learn how to play, then "the game isn't worth ****ing playing."

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Luc swings his saber in an attempt to score a point when suddenly the whole server goes nuts: "OMG no HONOUR!! Bow! DuelZ only! LAMER AL3RT! SABER DOWN = PEACE! NO KIX!" A second later some empowered 12-year old known as -=TKOA=MaC3V!Nd00H0n0urzBefore4LL! starts gripping me (no force) and screams about honour, respect, laming and something that I don't quite get since I already logged off.

Oh well...to each their own.

Oh God, yes! Why? Why? Why do people do this? What is so bad about duel servers that people can't duel there? The lineup to duel is longer on those FFA servers! I've never understood this, and I'd be happy to have someone explain it to me. :confused:

Originally posted by master_thomas

They never should have nerfed the sabers. A saberist has little chance against someone with explosives. The flechette is the ultimate weapon in 1.04. The lightsaber is supposed to kill in one or if the defender is lucky, two hits. Not ten. This has been said so many times.

Agreed! I was playing on a FFA guns server the other day (Wookie Beer Party or something) that had saber damage X 3. What a difference! The saber was a very useful weapon especially in close quaters. One or two chops for a kill. Definitely an improvement.

But people have known about the g_saberdamagescale variable for a while now, and how it can increase saber damage. Why haven't more admins increased saber damage? I think it would go a long way to aleviate the "nerfed sabers" problem...

Geez, I sound grumpy today, don't I?

But people have known about the g_saberdamagescale variable for a while now, and how it can increase saber damage. Why haven't more admins increased saber damage? I think it would go a long way to aleviate the "nerfed sabers" problem...

Bcoz they want longer duels and im not sure if its allowed 2 tweak damages in clan matches so clan admins keep the saber settings default 2 practice fragging the 'hard' way.

Geez, I sound grumpy today, don't I?

nah ;)

Originally posted by Luc Solar

A second later some empowered 12-year old known as -=TKOA=MaC3 V!Nd00H0n0urzBefore4LL! starts gripping me (no force) and screams about honour, respect, laming and something that I don't quite get since I already logged off.

Oh well...to each their own. :)

You're still a lamer because you did not read the MOTD.

;)

1-No laming.

2-All players MUST bow before duels.

3-Maximum limit of two kicks per player. Excessive kick abusers will be put to sleep.

4-All players MUST say "Good Fight" at the end of a battle and show respect.

5-NEVER attack an unarmed defenseless player.

Those are the actual rules from a server I go to when I want to mess w/ people now and then.

Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed

;)

1-No laming.

3-Maximum limit of two kicks per player. Excessive kick abusers will be put to sleep.

Those are the actual rules from a server I go to when I want to mess w/ people now and then.

we had some crazy fun last night eh? i'm surprised that i scored even with you lol.

thing that drives me nuts to no end: newbies who grip you and SPIN instead of kicking. i mean geez there was one person there who could and it took him like 20 of our kills before he got the idea. and it is so fun to watch those emped idiots who think they're invincible hahahahha

1-No laming.

hahahahahaha

got this one again on a CTF last night but i think the player was messing about anyhow. When i want to mess w/ people i nomaly pick the smack talking idiot, you know the ones no matter what you use to kill him your a hore, LOL so i pick what ever move he hates the most and repet kill him with that move LOL I must be the "BEST" player ever as i have a fan club.. you know the ones.. they shout Gay and lame and hore at me all the time j/k :p

Originally posted by WarteX

Bcoz they want longer duels and im not sure if its allowed 2 tweak damages in clan matches so clan admins keep the saber settings default 2 practice fragging the 'hard' way.

I am refering mainly to FFA games, and perhaps CTF games, but I don't play those so I can't really comment. Certainly for duel servers the saber damage is probably okay the way it is. In FFA, I just think that increasing the damage scale would make the saber a much more effective close quarters weapon, especially in gunner games.

Originally posted by WarteX

nah ;)

Thanks man. I feel much better today :)

Yeah, your right. The nerfed sabers would be okay for duels since if anyone dies it's over. In ffa, though, they should not be nerfed.

Can't disagree with you there, Prime. A dfa in the victim's side should probably be an instant kill. So should a fast vertical or horizontal strike that reaches through their entire center. Technically, a well placed idle saber should be an instant kill, but that could be pretty pathetic.

person x:<walks into somone right before a saber duel. The victim falls apart almost instantly(full dismemberment is enabled)>. "Sorry, I was just trying to accept the duel."

Archived