Home

resource system for GB2?

Heavyarms

I object to ore (if its still used in the same sense as in SWGB). Definately need another different third resource (one thats not favor/force). I was thinking some sort of gas, maybe to power air. You SW people can validate it, just from a game play perspective air needs a seperate resource other than food, so that a player can't commit to air very early on. And I never got why food was involved in making an aircraft.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you need to feed the pilot...

The problem I see with gas it that it doesn't seem to be relevant to Gungans.

I agree with your comment on Ore, but I see it being (more realistically) involved in the making of Mechs and buildings rather than just defensive buildings.

Realistically it would be nice to see each civ depending more on different resources, though I'm not sure how balanced this would be. For example, Gungans would be heavily dependent on food (and may get a unique building that gives them a food trickle in later tech levels). Empire would be dependent on Ore. Trade Federation would have virtually no need for food, though they can exchange it for credits as normal. Any opinions on this? I know Sith mentioned it briefly before but we didn't explore it greatly.

I don't think any civ should be ''heavily dependent''. Maybe they'll need more but not ''heavily''. It's totally unfair since you simply have to cut your enemy's access to that single ressouce and everything is over.

And maybe Gungan won't need gas.

Maybe for the Gungans(and maybe wookiees and ewoks) We could have a favor ressource.

Since Gungan worship gods and so does ewoks(I dunno for wookiees but maybe) they can pray at their temple to get some units.

OK AoM rip-off but whatever:rolleyes: !

Vostok, I agree ith you. That's why the gungans would not need any gas, but would instead have to go much heavier on food, since, in our little hypothetical version of the game, their units cost food and their buildings cost a little bit of food to get them to start growing.

Actually ive thought about this too and this is what i came up with-

1. Food - from animals and animal nursery's

2. Metal - mined from the ground, replaces ore

3. Nova - similar to GB, but is delivered as Credits

4. Credits - resources sold for credits, and you buy resources with credits at a spaceport

5. Tibianna Gas - mined only from the sea, used like RoN's oil for mechs and aircraft (possible)

As you can see pretty much the basic SWGB resource system, although i would add the previously mentioned unlimited resources, but limited amount of gatherers. I also think that having a resource you can only get from the water would be good in that it would make your navy more important, although it would cause problems on tatooine etc maps.

Having a water-only resource is interesting but makes things too difficult for Tatooine, asteroid and Hoth maps, and others. How about if we're going to have tibanna gas, it hangs in the air? So you need to either have some sort of flying gatherer, or be able to build a building that enables ground workers to gather, or something else. Something like this could be an interesting way to add some variety in the civs - for example, one civ may use an airborne gatherer while another needs to build the harvesting building for normal workers to gather from.

Vostok- I haven't read this forum in a wile... What I mean is you attack and destroy the ore collecters. They soon run out recources and are forced to sell buildings.

Maybe every map should have one unique recources. (I mean that every map with water has some sort of recources, snow does as well......)

We've discussed resources that are unique to maps and I think they are generally considered to fall under a "credit-resource" category, that replaces totally un-Star-Warsy nove with a variety of Star-Warsy resources that give you instant credits when you mine them. I'd prefer to see Tibanna gas in this way, because Tibanna gas isn't found on every planet (realistically speaking) whereas Food, Carbon and Metal Ore are.

So I'm still going for Food, Carbon, Metal Ore and Credit Resources as the resources. Though perhaps as I hinted before each civ has a unique way of obtaining a certain resource? For example:

:atat: We all saw those little PK droids in TPM picking up the broken Battle Droids. Trade Federation can "mine" dead Battle Droids for a fraction of the resources they intially cost.

:atat: Gungans can build Fish Farms in the water or on land, which provide a trickle of food like an animal nursery but you don't need to garrison anything.

The only way ore would work is if it is completely reconfigured. It has to be more usable in all situations, and it shouldn't be as much of a bloodvein for defenders. That was the reason it was cut out of AoM. Either you didn't use it much at all, or you could get enough of it.

Yeah, Metal ore seems to fit in more. The other idea's are also pretty good, credits, food and wood...maybe there could also be other resources like trading resources, like Bantha furs or Tibanna Gas.

Maybe the spaceports should have more a purpose than to recieve Nova or something else. Maybe there should be several trading ships that fly by, you recieve Credits and you lose some tradable resources.

Archived