Home

resource system for GB2?

Heavyarms

I think a good resource system like the one which was in C&C: generals, that involves trading(I think) would be a good idea. The 4 resource thing, I thought, was not what GB should have been, and should have concentrated on the actual fighting a bit more, but it did not. Do you think we should have something like a trading posts to a corner out of the map, and they disappear and reappear in a minute, or did 4 resources work well?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you mean trading as in collecting money in Generals, then I kinda like it. Not having to worry abou 4 different resources, but I think we still need some resources. Food for example. You have to feed your soldiers, ect. Just having one resource kinda makes it easy if you ask me. I also like in Generals how you have to build power plants to power buildings. You take out someone Power Plant, they can't do much.

I quite like the concept of resources that Generals uses, but I don't think it would be appropriate for SWGB2.

The four resources work pretty well. The only problem I believe is the fact that Ore and Nova look so bizarre they don't belong in Star Wars. The changes suggested so far on this board that I have liked are:

:atat: Changing ore to look more like metal ore in the ground - something not bright purple but perhaps a dull grey or maybe a copper tinge.

:atat: Instead of Nova, there are "Credits". Basically there is a fourth resource called "Rare Resources" that when you gather it you instantly get Credits. So it's pretty much Nova that changes appearance on each map like the Carbon does, with a more realistic name that makes sense in terms of what it is used for.

A rare ressource would be a nice idea(naboo plasma, tibanna gas, spices, etc.) We just have to find a decent name for its droppoint(unless there is a universal drop point different from the CC) and a nice reason for them to be converted into credits. Some ''realism guys'' will piss us off uif we don't do that.

I was referring to C&C generals, yes, with the trader. I think one kind of miner, like in C&C, would be good to have, and then collect timber, find food, and look for a regional special source(tibanna gas, spices, bacta, etc)

4 resources and all that economy crap is no good. Should be more action oriented, unlike SWGB and AoK, which were half/half.

Originally posted by Heavyarms

I was referring to C&C generals, yes, with the trader. I think one kind of miner, like in C&C, would be good to have, and then collect timber, find food, and look for a regional special source(tibanna gas, spices, bacta, etc)

4 resources and all that economy crap is no good. Should be more action oriented, unlike SWGB and AoK, which were half/half.

I completly agree.

But I would go for 2 main resources + shelters (or farm)

You just want to reduce micro to a point where it becomes boring.

Half/Half is way better I think. It takes more careful thinking and makes it a bit more complicated but fun.

All action is not so fun. Pointlessly killling is not as fun as doing it for after some hard thinking and hard working. The final result is always a lot better.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

You just want to reduce micro to a point where it becomes boring.

Half/Half is way better I think. It takes more careful thinking and makes it a bit more complicated but fun.

All action is not so fun. Pointlessly killling is not as fun as doing it for after some hard thinking and hard working. The final result is always a lot better.

I don't know about you, but I liked C&C series quite a bit better because it was a lot more towards action, and resources (while important) were not as important as in SWGB. I think it would be better suited for SW to go that way.

Too many resources get annoying. Food has no place in a star wars themed rts. While troops would require food to operate I don't think it would be distributed by packets, like in the U.S. armed forces. I would rather see just one or two resources and more focus on the actual battle.

Originally posted by Booya2020

Too many resources get annoying. Food has no place in a star wars themed rts. While troops would require food to operate I don't think it would be distributed by packets, like in the U.S. armed forces. I would rather see just one or two resources and more focus on the actual battle.

I agree.

Maybe food can replace shelters?

the two resources would be carbon and nova

I disagree.

Trading is an essential part of a Star Wars RTS, if for no other reason than the fact there is a civ called "Trade Federation". What would be the point of the Trade Federation if there was no trading?

luke's dad, as for a "realistic" reason for rare resources to be instantly converted to credits: how about the resource has no immediate value to the army so it is traded automatically, rather than set aside for manual trading like with food, carbon and ore. A lot more realistic than the current system with nova.

I am not knowledgeable about resource systems but I do have some opinions. I don't have Command and Conqurer Generals due to a Pentium III 667MHZ and a 8MB video card. But I think the workers should be able to have upgrades that increase speed, carrying capacity of workers. I mean alot more than GB1. I really think Farms and aquaharvestors should be unlimited farming. They should have more armor, shields, and hit points. I think spaceports should be able to trade carbon, food, nova, and ore instead of just nova.

I think Ore should be completely cut out (please don't ask why, cause then I'll have to go through AoMH's archives searching for some Deathshrimp quote on why they cut out stone). And, to differentiate this game from AoM, I suggest adding another resources, maybe some sort of gas that would propel flying or floating units?

As for credits, I inferred the multiple ways of gaining them similar to that of food. There are many ways to get food and there are many different places to harvest resources that are turned into credits.

Well stone and ore are two different things. Stone is only realisitcally used for buildings. Ore could realisitcally be used in buildings, constructing mechs and upgrading technolgy as well. I just think it needs to be worked into the resource system better than Stone was in the Age series.

I always thought resource system was just plain stupid. I understand why they put them in because they wanted it to be similar to other RTS games so people would buy the game. It is shame we couldn't start out with lots of resources and just build bases and fight it out without having to use workers. Workers could have one purpose which is healing mechanical units and fixing buildings. That is my opinion. The medics could heal biological units.

I just think building workers and having to worry about a workers because they have little armor, weak attack, and not much hit points is not cool. If they have workers that unit should be able to made instanteously instead of taking forever to build one.

last time i checked it took somewhere around 9 months to build a person....... ;)

the rescources are there for a reason... i support unlimited farms and faster rescource gathering... maybe twice the speed at which rescources were gathered in AOM (something like 4 times GB)

the rescources need to be there... but it shouldnt take like 3 years to start to fight... even in DM u need rescources... it isnt all lets go kill stuff.

Archived