Home

Fix for sideways saber problem??

ForceMorph

I tried making a hilt awhile ago, and it didnt work. for some reason the blade came out sideways on the saber! i tried rotating the tag_flash triangle and it didnt do a thing. no one had an answer for me on here, and i can see that some other people are having the same problem and are not getting any answer.

so can we please fix this up here and now and figure out how to do it? ive seen saber hilts that work fine. how do people make these?

any help would be appreciated.

The tag surface for the blade on the sabers is VERY weird AND the Modview base axii are different than in 3dsm. The X axis in Modview is actually the Y axis in 3dsm. Raven has admitted to getting the axii messed up. In 3dsm, you want the Y axis on the *flash tag to be point down towards the origin.

ok thanks a lot razorace! works great now! :cool:

basically all i had to do was rotate the triangle so that the long side of it (on the right angle - not the hypotenuse) ran down the center of the hilt. i thought i had tried that before but i guess not.

thanks again :)

Could someone possibly show me how to get this to work with this saber that I made?

http://csscripts.netfirms.com/pictures/HighlandSword.zip

I don't know how to make tags in 3dsmax or else I would do it with 3dsmax... I have 3dsmax and I export it as a .3ds, then import it with milkshape 3d, then import the original saber with milkshape and rename all the tags and everything and delete the original saber and put mine in place with the tags... Then export as md3 and use md3view to export it as a .glm.

Ahg long process!

Originally posted by razorace

uh for what? The game code is hardcoded to depend on the tag axii being the way they are...

Sure but the pivot gets screwed up when using a tag exported from milkshape 3D...probably what is happening to babywax and a lot of other people trying to use the "original" tags. Im just trying to help him with the easiest method.

Could someone possibly show me how to get this to work with this saber that I made?

Step 1 Load your custom hilt in 3D max.

Step 2 Import the .md3 included in the file i linked

Step 3 export to .md3

a tag in JKII is just a right triangle with three nonequal sides (ex: side 1 is 5 units, side 2 is 4 units, and side 3 is 3 units, this doesnt make a right triangle though). in 3DSMax you can use Splines to make the triangle, then convert it into an editable poly and theres your tag. just name it tag_flash or tag_parent and rotate and move it to where ever you want the blade to come out.

heres how mine looks:

tagflash.jpg

the pink triangle is the tag_flash tag, i put my hilt on see-through so you could see the tag better. thats the orientation that works (at least it works for me). dont worry, you wont see it in-game.

hope that helped.

Archived