Home

Something bothering me........................

Tesla

Mulitple reasons. First and foremost....making awesome graphic animations and making video games are two somewhat unrelated things. While great models are needed in games, those alone won't make the game. There probably aren't any massive programmers at ILM, which would eliminate the possibility of them doing games, unless somebody else made the game and they supplied the models. and textures and whatnot

Second problem, is that in movies you don't have a limit on Polygons. They can make those models as detailed as they want to because the processor doesn't have to animate them and interact with them based on a series of input commands. They move and react exactly the way that the computer will tell them too. CGI animations look really really good, but sofar they're not usable in-game. This is why many games have awesome looking cutscenes, better than what things look like in-game.

Do you want to know how long it takes to compile the scenes for a movie such as the new Star Wars Trilogy, Lord Of The Rings Trilogy or The Matrix Trilogy?

Trust me, even on a 200 PC clustered setup, it takes an extremely long time to render even just one sequence that will be used in a movie. I can't remember the days quoted for the first LOTR movie, on the above mentioned kind of setup, running 24/7, but it was most of the post production period...

Remember, they have to get their results to look good on a 35mm piece of film that will be shown on huge screens. We saw how "awful" a 35mm print of a fully digitally shot movie can look. AOTC looked ever so slightly out of focus, due to the stretching needed to get the digitally shot movie to fill the 35mm frame......

Bounty Hunter is the best example of how to maximise the Lucas divisions....

LucasArts did the game, whilst ILM did cutscenes, and Skywalker Sound did the ingame sound. You couldn't ask for too much more. getting those two involved.

Archived