Home

Monkey Island - THE MOVIE!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by EnchiladaMan

Maybe there could be a scene with Elaine searching for Guybrush when he was dunked off the dock after the thievery trial;

I'm nitpicking here, but I would shoot that one down. Part of the impact of that part of the game is the fact that Guybrush seems to be abandoned and forgotten by everybody, and having Elaine look for him would destroy that.

But yeah, love the posters, especially the one with Brendan Fraser. I myself would love to see a Monkey Island movie, and I'd love to help out. My brother and myself are interested in film editing... If we pursue it somewhere, perhaps we'd be working on the film? ;)

Ah, well, we can but hope. I think Dominic Armato's voice would have to be in there somehow for Guybrush, and Rachel Weiss would make an excellent Elaine. The trouble with Guybrush is that he's a surprisingly complex character. It's a fine line to walk, trying to keep Guybrush helpless enough to be lovable, but not enough to be annoying.

Just my two pieces o' eight ;)

guybrush is an amazingly complex charcter because his character changes thorughout the games, he's a lot different in mi4 to mi1. let's recap

mi1, he's naive but a go getter, he want's nothnig more than to become a pirate and will stop at nothing to get there. he falls in love, a new experiance for him, he takes in the scene and doesn't seem to scare easily, but is easily dissapointed and not much of a leader.

mi2. with his first taste of victory, he is more headstrong, and **** sure (or is it the other way around? classic). he has his sights set out and he is calling for bigger things in his life. his goals are higher and his hair is longer (with more consistency). still a little naive and innocent, he has had a larger taste of life and wants more.

mi3. after being thrust into his next adventure, guybruhs wan't nothing mroe than to see the back of it with his near wife elaine. he has experianced life and just wants to get back home and get married. he can now take charge of a situation and is more of a leader, he is less annoying and more of a human being.

mi4. dramatic change as he devolves slightly to become a little more annoying and less of the independant go getter he once was.

see, very complex (not as complex as lechuck, but i won't go there now)

Adam Sandler as Guybrush? urgh no way! Adam Sandlers not good looking. Guybrush has to be good looking! The film has to be for girls too. Boys will swoon over Rachel Weisz as Elaine and the girls have to swoon over Guybrush! This Guybrush shouldn't be a famous well known actor. He needs to be a newcomer. Take Star Wars Episode II. Noone had hardly heard of Hayden Christensen and he was an obscure actor. Guybrush needs to be the same. I still say either Hayden Christensen or Orlando Bloom for Guybrush if someone famous was to play him but i don't like the Adam Sandler thing. Can you do the posters with Orlando Bloom and Hayden Christensen as Guybrush? See how it looks. The posters are good by the way but with the wrong cast.

Love

The Captains Daughter

xx

Guest Das Mole

adam sandler is a big no-no. he's too goofy. think about it. the guy from happy gilmore, big daddy, anger management, billy madison, and a bunch of other goofy hilarious movies as guybrush? too whacked.

and hayden christensen? blech! he makes me want to barf. he's too creepy. he's probably one of the worst actors on my list. i know he'd be good in a swordfighting thingy cause of the lightsaber and all that junk, but he tries to hard to act emotional. plus he's too overly idiotic to be guybrush. guybrush is only slightly idiotic.

orlando bloom is a good idea, though. he's much better of an actor than christensen in my book. plus, he's shooting arrows in the lord of the rings, why not use a sword? he's that type of actor that i think he'd fit into the character of guybrush way better. maybe just cause i hate christensen.

i'm sorry but now i have to go rinse my mouth out due to the putrid taste of saying "hayden christensen". great, now i have to wash it out twice.

Das Mole: I laughed out loud when you talked about that starwars actor. Mostly because I agree. (made me want to barf during sw, tries too hard to act emotional, etc.)

and I must admit, I've never seen an Adam Sandler movie. Just previews. I'm not really interested in seeing any of his movies that I've seen the previews for, but somehow, I thought he kind of looked like the CMI version of Guybrush. In truth, I pretty much made that poster as a joke.

It would certainly ironic if Orlando Bloom could play Guybrush. I mean, he'd be the main character from a movie version of what Monkey Island was inspired by, and the main character of a movie version of Monkey Island. interesting. I'll work on another poster and see what it's like. *hastily opens Paint shop pro* ;-)

I wonder how Bloom would be in a comic role like Guybrush. In the game he has a goofy love scene with Elaine on the docks (if you don't make that your last trial). I wonder how he'd pull it off. That could be interesting.

Also, if he could be Guybrush, should he fake an American accent, like Hugh Jackman does for Wolverine? I think it'd be great either way. Hm, Guybrush with a different accent...that may be really neat.

Originally posted by Captaindaughter

Boys will swoon over Rachel Weisz as Elaine and the...

i laughed out loud when i read that, i'm sorry but she was alright in the mummy returens, but in the mummy, umm, kinda, not very attractive at all :( . well, whatever.

EDIT

look what i done. mimovie17.html

secret4.html

What about Corin Nemic as Guybrush? He's a relative unknown. Uh, at least I haven't really heard of him other than on Stargate SG-1. He does a great job as Jonas Quinn and could possibly be a good pirate.

Oh, and the palm tree is one of my own sketches scanned in. :-)

OK i looked at Star Wars 2 again and your'e right, Christensen can be a little OTT in emotion. Thanks for mocking my idea of boys swooning over Rachel Weisz. English men like her so thats what i thought. I'm not shirty though.

I don't know what American boys and Men like, I'm English and female. Barf? Goofy? What do they mean? I've never heard of these words as we don't say them in England. Does it mean stupid?

I really like the poster with the bearded face of Orlando Bloom as Guybrush. Without the beard he still looks lord of the rings which wouldn't work. I think he has to have the MI 2 look. Still hes English and hes lovely!! The girls here would definetly swoon over him!

I'm really glad Orlando is in the new Pirate Film. Does anyone know when its coming out?

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl opens July 9. Get the full trailer at http://movie-list.com/p/piratesofthecaribbean.shtml

(goofy=silly. barf=vomit)

Oh, and I think Rachel Weisz is cooler than a lot of the supposedly "hot" American actresses who get on my nerves a lot.

The more I look at the two first posters I posted on here, the less I like them. Except for Stan. I think Stan turned out well.

Check out some season 6 Stargate SG-1 episodes to see what I mean about Corin Nemic. good actor. good show.

OK, actors aside, considering they'd probably be unknowns and all seeing by the time it's made all the original choices will be too old for the parts......

what else should be contained in MI films?

Should the films be based on all four games? Should they be based on Monkeys 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4? Should it go in a different direction after MI2 (IE, Ron Gilbert's ideas) for more adventures? Should they expand on the whole Guybrush turning into a kid thing and escaping Big Whoop at the end of MI2? What else?

...but please don't bring in the whole "Guybrush is/isn't dreaming Monkey Island" discussion. Most of the theories have been said and if you go into it, you'd just be repeating again and again what has been said many times before. There are still other forums for that.

I think the entire plot ought to be new. I totally agree with Orlando Bloom as Guybrush... I think he could really pull it off. Rachel Weisz was great in the Mummy (one of my favourite movies) and the Mummy Returns, and I think she'd be perfect as Elaine. Of course she'd have to come across as much more indepedant than her character in those two movies, but I think she could do it.

*Opens up Photoshop and starts making his own little poster*

ok heres my 2 cents i reackon lechuck = tim curry because his smile is soooooooo evil its not funny oh no change that to tim curry plays murray the evil skull yes im a genious and sandra bulloc should play elaine marley hmmmmmm but who could playlechuck then i dont know but yes orlando bloom should play guybrush well what do you think of those actors i know no one would beat tim curry as murray and you all know that even if you dont want to admit it as for the movie i think a new plot is neaded seeing that we all know the plot to the games but it should defietly include a rubber chicken witha puelley in the middle

um, first of all, could you please use punctuation? It makes it easier on us all...

Sandra Bulluck as Elaine? Maybe, but I still envision her as being British. LeChuck and Murray can still be voiced by the voice actors from MI3 and 4 seeing as they will most likely be animatronics or computer generated characters. I think Murray should be done in sort of a puppet/muppet form as opposed to computer generated, that way it could look more realistic. (But it can still have movement around the eyes and stuff like it does in the games, of course)

I still think they should be about the three trials, perhaps very briefly, then about Elaine kidnapped, then the Largo Embargo and Big Whoop, and possibly about Elaine turning to gold. I don't know about EMI though. I think Ron Gilbert should be a consultant for any and all Monkey Island films, though.

There could and probably should be new side adventures added and some of them taken out for stories' sake. I mean, all the puzzles are fantastic for an adventure game, but for the movie that aspect can be simplified to an extent. We don't have to see him get the pot for the Fettucini Brothers, maybe not even the Fettucini Brothers at all, and we don't need to see the troll at the bridge. We also don't need to see him try to get bananas for the monkey to follow him to the Monkey head. he can just go straight to the Monkey head.

And maybe instead of Herman constantly popping up and saying silly stuff, they can have one or two longer chats. Two more weeks until summer for me and I can work more on scripting. When I finish, I'll post a link to all I have written.

okay, first of all, i'm british, british man right here, you're preaching to the choir. and yes, rachel weize was a lot better looking in the mummy returns. i laughed at teh racheal weixe thing because the only pictures of her we could find for the posters were ones of her in the mummy (i don't think she posed for the mummy returns poster, they used the same picture). but i think the rachel weize we saw in the mummy returns would be the perfect elaine.

and orlando bloom, yeah, you know a few years ago wi wouldn't have even thought about him, but then a few years ago i didn't even know who he was so there ya go. he would be a good guybrush except for the fact that he looks the part but i'm not sure if he could play tehpart. the voice isn't guybrush enough, we need someone like David Spade (his voices is perfect and he has blonde hair, also looks good in a beard and moustach). or maybe jerry seinfeld, with died blonde hair, i think he'd be a good guybrush.

okay, stop me if i'm wrong, but Kevin J O'Connor (the guy who played Beny from the mummy) as Otis, isn't that just percfect (that or Kevin Kline).

Kevin J O'Connor (the guy who played Beny from the mummy) as Otis,
Yes, of course! I've been trying to think who would be a good Otis. Though I think he was suggested in one of the earlier forums several years ago and I just forgot.

I also remember us going through the whole "Mummy" cast for MI. I still think Erik Averi (the curator) could be a good Monkey Island character, but who? Maybe a SCUMM bar pirate (like the guy with the glass eye. almost looks like him).

• 10 months later...

Hiho,

I think it's about time to turn our dream into reality.

I've finished a screenplay for a MI movie. All written in Hollywood standart. It's 121 pages long.

I adapted the second game; I followed the game's storyline, used its dialogues and added a few scenes that weren't to find in the game.

Here is a link were you can read it:

http://www.purepixel.de/monkey_island.pdf

Please read it and post you suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Whats up everyone?

I perosnally think, when i think of a Monkey Island movie, the movie would be based around the original monkey island (The Secret of Monkey Island).

My personal opinion of The curse of Monkey Island, and Escape from Monkey Island, the makers did great on their work on them, but to me, those two games didn't really catch my interest as much as The first two, and didnt follow my perspective on how I viewed Monkey Island. I didn't like the cartoony look. I liked the more grim look (if you know what i mean).

The art and set designes of the movie would be kind of dark/creepy at times, and of course similar to The Secret of Monkey Island, and Monkey Island 2: Lechucks Revenge. Like how The Matrix used dark greens, Monkey Island would use dark blues/purples for nighttime sets.

Director: I think the best director of the movie would be Steven Speilburg. The Goonies was good. The Indiana Jones movies are great too, very adventourous.

Guybrush: If the movie was based on The Curse of Monkey Island, or Escape from Monkey Island, I would say that the new Guybrush Threepwood looks and acts alot like David Spade.

However, if the movie was based on The Secret of Monkey Island, or Monkey Island 2: Lechucks revenge, I would say that Orlando Bloom would play a great Guybrush Threepwood. (That might be because I am used to him in Pirates of the Carribean: LOTBP). Maybe Martin Short. Either them or I am sure casting directors can pull out a good unkown actor.

Govenor Marley: ???

Smirk (sword trainer): Arnold Schwarzenegger

Fester Shinetop: Jesse Ventura

Stan: Jim Carrey.

What does everyone think on my ideas? Do they suck? Are they good?

Later.

Archived