Home

Cyclic Redundancy Solution

TrUnKs69

I have the answer for all of you people who cant reinstall their JK2 because of a cyclic redundancy check error.

What u gotta do is while ur installing paste the assets0.pk3 file into where it is supposed to be when the file is created.Then the installing will finish.

And Thats it.

But u might Encounter a problem when u paste assets0.pk3(This Happened to me).It might cay cyclic redundancy check again.So when this happens just forget about pasting the asset0 file.Then open the assets0.pk3 with Winzip.When you do Extract all of the files fromthe pk3 file into any file.then put all the files into a new pk3.

Special thanks to

Hèkx Nòxú

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tested this, and made sure that it worked? I am skeptical upon doing such a thing...

Sorry to bring back old threads. Just having this problem with my install... Will look into it...

Yah I just tried reinstalling JK for the first time today and I get this stupid error. I am glad this post came up or I would be completly lost.

EDIT: Well when I tried to copy the file off the CD it gave me the error. Guess I will have to take the game back to the store or get an extended demo.

Well I messed around with it for awhile and I finally got it to work. I took the asset0 file and opened it with WinRAR. Then I took all the files that where there and placed into the would be installed directory where the asset0 file is placed on installation. Installation worked when i did that and I had the asset0 file in there right dierctory. I then just deleted the unessary files. Game works now.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't work for me.

I was able to extract all the files, some had errors, but i figured just carry on anyway. Next problem. How do i turn all those files back into a .pk3 file for assets0?

No idea on what program to use.

SiTro

Well Sitro to make a pk3 all u need is Winzip.There are 2 ways the way that doesnt always work n the one that normally works.

the on that doesnt always work is put all the files in a zip file and rename it assetso.pk3

and the other way is To add the files to winzip.then in the add to archive box just retype the assets0.zip to assets0.pk3

Well thats how i think u make a pk3 thats how some guy taught me n it worked.

and Darth Kiran yes if u deleted ur assets u truly would be f***ed.just reinstall the jk2 and ull get it bak

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if you could explain that again a little more in detail, because i tried you install it, and i got the redundancy check like you guys are getting. I tryed the winzip thing, but when i extracted it said there were errors in the files, I never had this problem before obviously, but it's really a pain in the ass, winzip says there corrupted. I think lucasarts should come of with a fix for this. One more question, how long have each of you had the game, maybe the files get ruined over time? I know this isn't possible unless you scratch the cd. And what opperating system are you guys running?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought the game today, and when I tried to install it, I got this Cyclic Redundancy stuff before i even got the game running! So i'm stuck thinking "wtf"

the lucasarts yodas help desk etc did not help at all

I'm not sure I understand the first post, can somebody just give a step by step procedure?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried copying, but got the cyclic redundancy check again.

Then, I attempted to open assets0.pk3 with Winzip and WinRAR (both the most recent versions--9.0 SR-1 for Winzip and 3.42 for WinRAR). According to WinRAR, assets0 has no files in it. Winzip says:

"Error [E:\GAMEDATA\base\assets0.pk3]: unrecoverable zip file read error."

So, just how badly am I screwed?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I encountered this problem today trying to install the game on my son's box, and have had the same problem with another game directly out of the package before. While checking the CD for scratches/cleaning it is not a bad idea, its not always the only solution/answer to the problem. Nor is copying the file in question, as I could not do that either on his machine. It still gave the cyclic redundancy error on the copy attempt. My belief, since I've encountered this before and both times had to use a different CDR/CDR-RW drive to install/copy is that some drives just have trouble reading the data off some production disks.

Workarounds I've found:

1) The first time it happened I bought a new CDR-RW drive, only after exchanging the game disk once as it was sugegsted it may be bad. The new CD threw the same error, which indicated it wasn't the CD. SO I bought a new CD drive and had no problem what-so-ever installing.

Not the best or most cost efficient method, but it worked. I did this because I was able to install the game giving the cyclic redundancy error on another computer with no problems at all. Could have swapped CD drives, but I needed an excuse to by myself a new one anyway :)

2) While encountering this problem today with JKA on my son's machine (in my case it was assets2.pk3 on disk 2), I tried an install on my machine to make sure the disk wasn't bad, which worked. I then copied all the files from the disk to a folder on my sons machine (which will only work if you've got a LAN connection and enough hard disk space on the target machine) and when prompted for disk 2 used the browse button on that screento select that GameData directory I copied the files to instead of the default which is the CD drive being used to install. The reason I say it requires a LAN connection is that (and what causes me to believe its a compatability issue between some production stamped CDs and CD drives) is that I could not copy the one file throwing the error off the CD on my son's computer to his hard drive. I still got the cyclic redundancy error when trying to copy the file from his CD drive. It copied no problem from my CD drive to his hard drive over the network though.

3) I uninstalled the game from his box and tested something out, since my machine has a CDR/CDR-RW and a DVD/CDR/CDRW capable drive. I created a copy of disk two using the CD drives in my machine and then used the copied disk to install the game on his using his CDR-RW drive. No cyclic redundancy error, game installed fine. Note that in no way am I advocating software piracy. Just stating that you can, if you've got a access to a CDR drive capable of reading the file in question, make a copy of the disk that its on and also get around the cyclic redundancy error.

Hope this info helps someone who encounters this issue in the future.

Archived