Home

Tag question

Hindy

Another day, another stage. Another stage, another question!

Ok Im tweaking the tags around my player model, do I have to rotate any of the tags so they sit flat on the caps?

I ask this as it is not mentioned in spacemonkeys tut. Also I unchecked the animation box when importing the root.xsi, was there anything that needed unchecking?

*Hindy awaits for the expertise of Psych0Sith... AGAIN!!!!*

1. Do not rotate any tags.

Tags are not flat on the caps, they should be aligned to the center of the cap, pointing towards the body part it is linked to (again take a look at kyle's mesh, you'll see what i mean).

There's a really useful tool that will help you place the cap tags correctly. It's called the align tool, (check your top menu bar in max, you should find it easily.)

Now what you want to do, is to select the tag related to your cap, click on the align tool and select it's parent cap, once that's done, you'll see a grey box appear.

You need to select what you want to align...on the left side, select pivot point and on the right side select center.

Left side being the cap's element you want to align and right side being the target object you want to align your tag to, in this case we want center of the object.

Next check the XYZ "match axis" option box, or something similar. If youve done it correctly, you should see your tag right in the center of the cap (if not, try selecting other alignment options.)

2.I dont think there's anything else that need to be checked/unchecked when importing.

Did that make sense????

*Psyko is glad to answer Hindy's questions again ;)*

I mean do not rotate it flat.

Using the align tool, the tag will line up with the cap's axis you cant get any better alignment than that!.

i dont mess around much with tags, i just position them around the character.

The tags themselves are never rotated, just moved around the character.

Cheers Psyko, sorry I miss spelt ya name on previous post...

Are there any bolts/tags I dont need to have? I mean I just want it in as basically as possible... I dont have real eyes or mouth so could I lose the bolt_l_eye (or whatever its called!)

Thanx again

Thanx, Im just asking as I dont really know anything about this part of the process so I just ask how I see it... I guess you encountered some of the same problems/questions I have.

Many thanx, Im sure I ll pick ya brains again when it comes to weighting.

I read the tut on your site but didn`t really understand it, I guess its something you pick up by keeping at it. I like ya site though!

Archived