Home

Thief 3

StormHammer

Originally posted by Neko Lain

Do you have a site with information on it?

the only information on the game is old information - more than a year old, when it was still in the concept stages. You can find some of that info here along with some old screenies.

The new screens look much better - and I think they're using a similar renderer, physics etc., to what they are using for Deus Ex 2. Based on the past 2 outings alone, I have a very good feeling about T3... :D

Originally posted by ckcsaber

BEST Thief 3 site on the net.

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/

I can't wait for this game StormHammer. The new Dark Engine looks awesome, and I can't wait to get back into Garret's boots, cynical remarks and all.

It's not the Dark Engine. They're using the Unreal engine - just like with Deus Ex 2. However, from all accounts they've ripped huge chunks of the engine out and stuffed it full of their own goodness for DX2, so I imagine they've done the same for Thief 3. :) They've got some nice self-casting shadows on those models, by the look of things. And a shadow cast from Garrett is long overdue...

I can't wait for it either. The Thief games were a breath of fresh air when they arrived, and I've going to have to start playing 1 & 2 again to get back in the mood for some FPS sneaking goodness.

Thanks for the link as well...I don't think I've visited that site before. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, you are right StormHammer. As long as they uses parts of the brilliant “Dark Engine?I’m happy.

Here is some info I found on some Thief 3 message boards

There have been endless speculations about the upcoming Thief III, much of it based on old rumours or wild guesses.

So that we have a single, easily referenced, resource, this thread will contain all that is known for a fact about the game.

The Circle also has a Thief III Portal ?check there for updates as well.

The first two items that need mentioning are:

»» Thief III is currently under a media blackout. It is unknown when this state of affairs will end.

»» A release date for the game is not known - other than “When it's ready?

»» Console ports of the game are probably inevitable at some point in time, but assurances have been made that the PC is the first priority and is what the game is designed around.

»» Thief III will have real-time lighting (e.g. Splinter Cell) and shadows.

»» The AI will have facial expressions

»» You will be able to see Garrett's feet and hands during gameplay.

»» ISA has extensively re-written the entire game engine, except for UnrealEd (which probably has modifications to it as well)

»» As of July 2001, three missions were fully completed. As of that date, many of the core features (eg the bow, sneaking, base AI, and basic sound) were functional. Original text here.

»» There will be no third-person viewpoint in Thief III.

»» Ion Storm Austin (ISA) is currently working on both Thief III and Deus Ex 2, with DX2 to be released first. Because of this, they have reasonably decided to focus their efforts on DX2 and consequently most of the information available is about that game.

However, each game is utilizing the same engine ?though extensively rewritten from the original Unreal ?so when it comes to the technical aspects of the games, similarities can, when not otherwise explicitly stated, be expected.

There are to be several known differences between the DX and T3. In DX, the AI will not react to the player’s shadow, yet they will in T3.

»» Screenshots for DX2 can be found at Tiscali.cz and you can expect Thief to have similar graphics.

Quotes:

From Lead Designer, Randy Smith, at ThieveryUT quoted from PCGamer magazine saying that T3 will be single-player only

"Right now, we've got our hands full, trying to make the best single-player Thief experience of all time."

From Ion Storm's Kent Hudson, on the game engine, at the Ve3d forums:

dx2 and t3 arent using unreal any more, other than the editor. we rewrote the renderer (lighting/shadows/normal maps/specular, etc), the sound engine, the physics engine, and all of the game code (properties/weapons/game systems). not that unreal doesnt look GREAT these days. we're friends with epic and respect them a great deal. but we just have a focused design and felt the need to have an engine tailor-made for the games.

Found at gamestar.de: (Translation by Matt Kimmich)

On a visit to the Ion Storm offices in Austin/Texas we were allowed an - albeit very brief - look at Thief 3. The third installation in the thieving saga (better known in Germany as Dark Project) almost threw us off our feet due to the excellent graphics, fantastic shadow effects and extremely realistic NPC models. Talking of feet: While the jumping sequences in the first two games still were a nuisance since you never knew when Garret had actually reached the edge of a chasm, in part 3 you'll actually see the master thief's feet when you look down. This makes climbing passages so much easier. Another improvement: When picking locks there's a nice animation of Garrett's hands actually manipulating the lock. Unfortunately there are still no released screenshots.

From Paul Touzor, AI Programmer at Ion Storm (quoted in PCGamer):

In Thief III, the AI will have an evidence-tracking system, which means it will retain information about which events made it suspicious and where. The AI will be able to draw better conclusions about which areas should be searched for intruders. When the AIs say 'It must have been rats,' they'll have really deduced that, although if you're playing the game well, they probably won't be right.

Here’s a quote from the Xmas issue of PC GAMER UK in the preview of 2003 section:

The return of light-fingered lead, Garrett, is as eagerly awaited in our office as Warren Spector’s other project, DX2. A brief glimpse of the Xbox game engine is all that’s been offered so far, although plans are afoot for a show stealing unveiling at next years E3 in May. If they can improve on its predecessor’s crude combat and occasionally sprawling level design, this could turn out to be one of 2003’s most important games.

Anticipation level 5/5

OUT: Xmas 2003

Thanks for all the info, ckcsaber. It looks like MP isn't included at the moment, if the information is still accurate, and that's a bit of a shame, IMHO. I like playing a bit of cat-and-mouse online in JO...so it would obviously be much better with something like Thief 3.

If Kent Hudson's comment is accurate...well, it pretty much looks like they've pretty much built their own engine which utilises UnrealEd for level construction. Judging by those screenies, I reckon that's a good step in the right direction - they've got the right atmosphere.

Seeing feet and hands will be great if they implement it well.

I'm glad they've stuck with first person view only...much more immersive. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived