Home

A Few Questions

Volaticus

I have a few questions that I haven't seen addressed in the Forums yet (which isn't to say they haven't been, just that I have yet to come across them) and I'm curious as to whether anyone knows the answers to them.

1. I've noted that a character will receive "experience" when another person uses their product. I wonder, though, if a Rebel weapons manufacturer who sells a blaster (for, example) that he has created to an Imperial marksman who then uses said blaster to kill Rebels will still receive experience? Given the weapon works as designed but... doesn't arming the enemy and reaping the benefits when they use it against your own people sound like a bad way to earn experience?

2. Related to the above question (and the answer to this may resolve the previous question): Is it possible to determine who you will, or will not, sell your products to? As this would mean that you would have to know the affiliations of everyone in the galaxy for this to work (an unlikely scenario), I don't see this as being do-able. Unless it was obvious - an Imperial fighter dressed up in his "Whites" - and then it would be obvious to them which side of the fence you walked on when you refused to sell.

3. I understand that to be able to build a structure you must acquire a Deed to the land needed. You then construct the building and lease it (I know there's a lot more to it than this). I realize that each galaxy's economy is designed to be player-controlled but my question here is: Are there caps on the fees one is able to charge for leasing? Or is Supply and Demand going to be the only parameters?

4. Will Droid Merchants (the one's you rent to work your stall) be affected by Item Decay? Will using one of these require the leasee to occasionally spend Credits to have them repaired? Or will that be taken care of in the weekly/monthly fee paid for their operation?

I'll stop here, even though I have many more. Maybe answers to these questions will resolve some of the others I have. Any and all help will be most appreciated. :)

Can't wait to involve myself in this diverse galaxy!

Thanks

1: The experience you, as an artisan, get when people use it is there to reward good crafters. So it really doesn't matter how it is used: if it is used, you did a good job. ;)

2: There are many ways to sell things. If you sell it to someone in person ("give me 200 creds, and I'll give you the blaster"), you'll know if it is an imp, neutral or rebel you sell it to, yes. If you build a shop and sell it there, you'll know if you don't get a droid NPC to do the vendouring for you. If you put it up for sale on a terminal, you won't know either, as far as you know. Perhaps you will be able to put in restrictions on who can buy it, or you'd get a log on who has bought items from you, but I haven't seen any info on this yet.

3: Supply and Demand, most likely. After all, the entire merchant part of the game is 100% based on supply and demand.

4: I have absolutely no idea. My spontaneous guess, however, is that the fee you pay to keep one also covers maintainence, it would be simpler that way, and paying two fees wouldn't in any way enhance the gaming experience.

Good answers all, and about what I expected. And I totally agree with the answer to #4 - wouldn't enhance the game. Thanks, setsuko. :)

Let me throw out a couple more...

5. In relation to building towns/cities/outposts I have noticed that a lot of the PA's have, as part of their mission-statement, the objective of developing their own sanctuary. Is it necessary to be affiliated with a PA to construct a building in their territory? Or is it, first-come first-served - as to, whoever gets the deed to the land first builds?

6. I'm sure this is not a problem but I'll ask it anyway: Will there be enough land for those who wish to build? I realize with expansions, etc., new worlds will likely be created expanding the developable land mass but I foresee a large number of folks wanting to become Artisans. Do you think there will be sufficient resources for them to ply their trade?

7. Will buildings experience Item Decay? Or, as with the Droids, as long as you maintain payment on them they will continue to stand? Will buildings be able to be "dozed" and new ones put up in their place?

As you can tell, the Artisan Tree is the one that has me foaming at the mouth. I am so looking forward to being able to construct and lease out those structures I hope to be able to develop. I have more questions along this line but will stretch them out a little to see if anyone else has some to ask that I may not have thought of... yet. ;)

Thanks for any help. :)

5: Well, firstly, player made towns are not into the game yet, so a lot of it is still up to the devs. But they have pointed out that player made towns will not be strictly restricted to a PA, even if the PA built it. So we have no idea within how large an area around the PA Hall that is restricted to the PA is, if it exists, if you can get the PA's permission to build there, or how the actual borders of towns are made up. But you will not necessarily have to be a part of the PA to have a building in a PA made town, that is all we know.

6: Yes. There are ten planets right now. At least 6 of them will have areas where you can build towns. Each planet will be the size of the entire EQ world. Off course, the most popular and trafficed areas will be settled as soon as people become rich enough to buy it, but there'll always be room. Also, you can move your buildings, so if you find a better spot, just pack it down and start walking. ;)

7: Buildings will experience item decay. You will be able to pay for it to be automatically maintained. After a long while, buildings will crumble and seize to exist, mostly to make sure that buildings made by people who stopped playing 5 months ago are not hindering new players.

It's tricky that you make questions about things that are not well known/not decided yet. But it is a thankful change of pace compared to all "can I be a bounty hunter and a weaponsmith and a teras käsi artist at the same time?" questions! :D

:D ~chuckle~ :D

I appreciate that, setsuko. :)

I realize that some of the questions I'm asking may not have definitive answers but am asking them in the hope that they might. That, and it might stimulate more questions relating to the functioning of the game world. Every little bit helps. ;)

Oh, and can I be a bounty hunter and a ...? :p Teasing. :)

8. Do you, or anyone else know, the types of structures that we'll be able to build? Is this information already available somewhere else? If so, where?

Not to make this a one-on-one type post (anyone else is more than welcome to respond) but thanks again for your responses, setsuko. I truly appreciate them. :)

Well we know for certain you can build buildings that are up to 3 storys tall and a basement.And it can be as big as you want as long as you got enough land.

In the game land is shared out and you can buy land i think,also in the future of the game you will be able to build your own Towns for your PA :)

Hope that help's;)

It does. Thanks -=ReApEr=-. :)

I figure that as they've mentioned Manufacturing Plants, Cantina's (that appear to have multiple uses - Inn, restuarant, bar, etc.), Vendor Terminals, etc., there might be some information available on them and any others. Or, is it like crafting weapons and clothing - you put the parts in and, if they combine, "Viola!" you have a product? Unique to your specifications and ingredients thus determining their quality, look, and usability?

Sounds cool, but I figure that buildings will have basic blueprints that are determined by the type of structure you are developing and the ingredients you use to build it. In fact, I think I remember reading somewhere that buildings will have the same looks throughout the galaxy, regardless of cultural styles, due to the graphic-intensive work required to make them different. Maybe in a future patch/expansion...?

One can hope. Thanks again. :)

Archived