Home

uvw unwrap question

Manquesa

Okay, I think I understand after reading several different tutorials that in order to make your texture map, you need to take a screenshot of the uvw unwrap screen and then edit the picture in a 2d art program, right?

Now my real question is, do the texture maps have the same restrictions as textures used in mapping via radiant? Do they have to be in a power of 2 as far as size is concerned? Because when I take the screenshot, the size is usually not a power of 2. I can resize the image in photoshop to make it a power of 2, but will that mess up the mapping coordinates.

Well, TIA for answering me.

If you use 3D studio max, there's a plugin called texporter that let you export the uvw maps to any dimensions (and resizes the uvw maps according to their original ratio).

Textures need to be in a power of 2 like you said, for the simple fact that it's how graphic cards work. (like 1024x1024, 1024X512..etc)

Max 5 also has "render to texture" which I find kind of useful for getting a staring point to then take into photoshop.

- apply metal, stone, skin or whatever textures within Max to different sections of your model

- Render to texture

- Take the texture into photoshop and you have a nice base to work from

Also if you can get your hands on Deep Paint 3D, it's got some useful integration with photoshop that makes life easier as well.

-clu

Archived