Home

What do you call Pepsi?

Boba Rhett

Originally posted by Darth Homer

As a true Southerner, I have to say that I find your "imitation" of the way a Southerner speaks eeirly accurate....please stop

Actually, Homer. That's how a true Western PA native speaks. Notice the "You'ns". Southerners would be more apt to use "Yuall". Readyin' is also a term native to Western PA, and actually the TV show Law & Order: Criminal Intent used that word as a clue to determine where the murderer was from and traced her back to my home town of Meadville, PA. A true southerner would use the term "fixin". Such as:

"I'm fixin to kick your butt!"

Instead of the Western PA dialect:

"I'm Readyin' to kick your butt!"

Also, Pittsburghers use the word "jew" to say "Did you". For example:

"Jew eat yet?"

Instead of the normal:

"Did you eat yet?"

That is why Western PA is called "Pennsyl-tuckey". It's a form of southern Hick, yet it is it's own distinct dialect. Scary huh? :p

The sound is the same, though. And even here we use those terms as well. We say "readyin" as well as "fixin". In high school we had an exchange student from Canada that, in their first week, we were able to convince her that our alphabet had no "G"...and it's spelled "Y'all" :D

Originally posted by Havoc Stryphe

To avoid ridicule many just started refering to it as Soda-pop, It's correct and true unshortened name. :D

For some reason, calling it "soda-pop" sounds lamer than just "pop" or "soda". IMO ;)

Originally posted by Havoc Stryphe

On a side note, When I travelled to Missouri a few years back, I found it odd that all carbonated beverages are reffered to as coke. For example:

We stopped at a resteraunt for lunch. We placed are orders and then the waitress asked, "What would you like to drink? Coke?"

Our answer, "Sure"

Her reply, "What Kind?"

Our reply, "Ummm, what do you mean?"

Her answer, "You know! What kind of coke do you want? Pepsi, root beer, Sprite?

I've had that happen to me once. I'm not sure exactly what state it was in, but I remember asking for a "Coke" at a restaurant. The waitress said "What a kind?" and I was like "uhh...A Cola".

Archived