Home

game crashes randomly-please help!

MastrSamWise

i recently purchased a new computer, pentium 4 @ 2.4ghz, 512MB of pc2700 DDR, maxtor 80GB hard drive, radeon 9500 pro @ stock, windows XP home edition, ABIT IC7 motherboard.

i have a burned copy of jk2, and it always ran fine on my old PC (although very slow), but since i've installed it on this new one, it has been randomly crashing in multiplayer. i originally had the video settings turned up fairly high, but i was running it above 80 fps at all times. fairly frequently, it would just start crashing on me (the visuals freeze and the sound just keeps repeating the last 1/2 second of sound that played before it crashed) so that i have to press the reset button on my case (i know thats bad, but i had no other way to exit). i tried turning down the video settings, but that didnt help.

someone suggested that it might be a heat problem, but i have a CPU heatsink, 2 case fans, and a video cooling fan, so im pretty sure that's not it. also, the last few times it's frozen i've been able to see the start menu pop up by pressing my windows key on the keyboard, but i cant click on anything in there or anything. alt+F4 and ctrl+alt+del dont do anything either, but the start menu popping up makess me think its not any kind of hardware issue, but a software problem, then again, i dont know too much about the technical stuff.

i have the 1.04 patch, and i've reinstalled the game twice already. when i did that, i deleted the whole lucasarts program folder and made sure i didnt have any pk3s that didnt come standard w/ the game. i've also updated my video card drivers w/ the latest catalyst ones from ATI, and i've run norton antivirus, norton windoctor, microsoft scandisk, and a drive defragmentation. just yesterday i ran online performance tests at pcpitstop.com and they didnt show any problems either. i've seen a problem that looks to be the same one i'm having posted by Johner,, but i didnt see a solution. if anyone could help me out, i'd really appreciate it.

*edit* i also have directx9 and have tried running ut2k3 on this pc. i turned the resolution up to 1152 and had AA on and i had absolutely no crashes and the game ran extremely smoothly.

-sam

I've been having the exact same problem. Since you think you've found a solution for it I'll skip posting all of my information about it unless it is needed but what exactly is your solution? I'm running the same resolution as you are, but what are the AA and ut2k3 that you're talking about (if they have anything to do with the fix)? I just want to be able to play multiplayer without knowing I'll freeze at some random time and have to reboot.

Also, mainly out of curiousity, did you have the 1.04 patch installed on your other computer? I didn't encounter the problem at all the few times I played without it installed. The only other thing that I remember when thinking about it is the first time it happened was in a Jedi Master type game. On that game type it happens all the time usually very soon after the game starts (often the first time the lightsaber is picked up). It also happened right away when I started a CTY game although I haven't tried it again to see if it is as consistent there. Since the first time it happened it has happened randomly in various FFA type games but sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't so no ideas there.

perhaps i should have been more clear, AA = anti-aliasing and ut2k3= unreal tournament 2003.

i meant that i tested my machine to make sure i didnt have hardware problems by running unreal tournament 2003, a very graphically demanding game, with a demanding graphics effect, anti-aliasing, and it worked just fine. im still having my problem in jk2 though.

i havent noticed what type of game the crashes occur in, since i almost always play in ffa servers.

i did have the 1.04 patch installed on my old computer, and no problems occurred, so im not sure if the patch is what's causing my curent computer to freeze up when jk2 MP runs. if you have any info on this problem it'd be great if you could post it, i also want to be able to play MP w/o worrying about my computer crashing and me having to push the reset button on my case.

-sam

Darn I was hoping you had it fixed. And if it didn't happen with the patch on the other comp I guess that doesn't help much either. Looks like unless there's some chance that you hadn't run the Jedi Master type on your old comp and that is what's messing it up (seems odd if possible) then I don't have any ideas. It just seemed to crash a lot more frequently and a lot sooner on those two game types and it hadn't happened at all until I played the JM type so I thought maybe it had something to do with that. Looks like it'll probably take someone who knows a lot more about how the game is programmed to fix this one :\.

yesterday i went into my clanserver and it crashed in about 5 seconds. then i rebooted and went into the OoS clan FFA server and i played for 45 minutes w/o a crash. i wanted to test it for longer but i had to leave after 45 minutes so i just quit the game.

since i dont know what causes the crashes in the first place, i suppose it's possible that the server im in has nothing to do with it and i just got unlucky when i went into my clanserver and got very lucky in the OoS server. then again, it's also possible that the OoS server does not make me crash, since i dont remember ever crashing in there, and the IKBR and NJA servers do (since they are the main places i remember crashing in)

*edit* during the most recent crash i got a windows message informing me that jk2 MP had undergone an error and had to be shut down. i was able to click on the "dont send" thing for the error report and i wound up looking at my desktop w/ all the colors really messed up, but at least i didnt have to push the reset button on my case. if anyone knows how to fix this i would really appreciate some help!

-sam

• 3 weeks later...

I have the EXACT same problem, sometimes after only a few minutes of play in multiplayer the game stalls, crashes, windows gives me an error, and my desktop comes back with all the settings screwed and everything looking white.

I would really appreciate it if someone knew how to fix this, or if any lucasarts peple reading could do something about it in the next patch

cheers

Ugh, now ive updated to version 1.04, but now every time I go to join a game, it says that whatever server im joining is running protocol 15, and doesnt challenge me, I take it I have to install this game again to get rid of the patch, before I can play it properly again?

Still getting the quitting error as well, ive wasted enough of my day on this game, can anyone help me with the patch issue or the quit to windows one

thanks for your time

i'm not sure what to do about your protocol 15 error. reinstalling my video card drivers seems to have helped, jk2 only crashes when i put it into windowed mode and try to minimize it now, although my brother claims it crashed earlier today, i havent had any trouble.

-sam

Originally posted by MastrSamWise

"...i have a burned copy of jk2..."

Need I say any more. Its right there in the very first post.

And my guess is Rogue is that you might have the Service Pack 1 for Windows XP, which would probably be the cause of your problem. (Maybe)

Archived