Home

265mb Ram

FatCigar

256 Ram would be fine but when you play for over 4 hours your PC will likely to get sluggish and will probally want a reboot to refresh the memory. I'd suggest 512 since it allows you multitask many programs at once like IE, Trillian and etc. You can get 256 ram for like 20-30 from just about anywhere and 512 DDR ram PC2100 for like 50 bucks...Not a bad deal at all. Hell im wanting to get 512 more ram so I'll have a Gig of ram...I seem to lag a lot running many programs with games like SWG.

:yeldance:

get a geforce 3 or better ><

avoid MX if u want better performance.

the geforce 4 mx 420 is comparable to the best onboard graphics cards of present.

when i say onboard i mean, embedded on the motherboard.

so if u want better than onboard graphics...

i got 512 ram anda gforce 4, I plan on getting 512 more ram by the end of this summer..And before I install swg, wipe me harddrive clean re-instal xp so I can get rid of all the junk that is clogging my computer some (including one nasty worm that my virus scanner can't fix :( )

fatciger: How many DIMM slots do you have? Most computer at least have two, some three or four.

You can another 256mb dimm, no problem. Just put the ram stick in another slot.

dimm0 = 256mb

dimm1 = 256mb

-------------------------------------------

total = 512mb

most 64mb GPUs will be fine... if you are on a Window XP system you definitely want more than 256mb because windows takes so much.

For example: I used about 182mb of ram when running winxp pro, ie, windows media player, and MS outlook and some 35 other processes. Most xp'ers probably only use 85-100mb but still that only leaves about 150mb of ram for SWG. You want to have at least 256mb _JUST_ for SWG, imo.

My Specs

---------------

AMD XP 1800+

1024mb DDR PC-2100

GF4 Ti 4600 128mb

----------------

You probably have spyware.... http://www.lavasoftusa.com

yeah,..... I have a question, I'm getting a new comp sometime within the next week. Its gonna be a dell and i'm just gonna go with 512 mb DDR sdram at 400mghz since to have 1024 i'd have to add 280. So I was thinking of just buying extra ram somewhere else but do you guys have someone else do it or do you do it yourselves?

Oh and about the graphics cards, there is currently no graphics card availible to the public that is able to let you run SWG to its full potential. Its an effort by SWG to let this game stay on top with graphics for years to come.

Exar_reborn: You are getting 512mb of DDR 400 RAM, also known as PC3200. This is very good RAM but if you want to upgrade make sure you get some of the same speed (pc3200). If you buy the best buy special instead (pc2700 usually) it'll end up slowing that pc3200 RAM down. You can buy some good RAM from http://www.newegg.com. 256mb pc3200 RAM is around $45 there I think. But for what its worth I think you should be ok with 512 for now...unless you have the cash. And its really not hard at all to install it yourself. You just open the case (with Dell's they have these two buttons, one on the top and one on the bottom--just press them and open) and look on your motherboard for your DIMM slots. Dont worry if you arent sure where this is, once you buy the RAM you'll be able to recognize what it looks like. Then there is only one way to install the RAM. It has 2 little knotchs in it so there is only one way it'll go. Good luck! :)

Thanks Devlyyn, I just thought it was completely rediculous to pay an extra $280 for something thats on $50 and if I can do it myself then a $130 installation charge is REALLY rediculous lol. But on that website is the correct ram I would need to match what I am getting?

As long as you are buying RAM of the same speed you should be ok. I mean it doesnt have to be the same speed, as long as it is DDR, but i'd recommend it. Another thing you'll want to check is how many slots your motherboard has. I have an older Dell computer and it only has 2 DIMM slots. If it only has 2 then you're stuck unless you want to shell out big bucks for 2 512mb sticks. I'm not real sure where to find this out before buying the computer but definitely look before shelling out the money for that extra RAM to put in on your own.

ps Corsair, kingston, mushkin, and crucial all make good memory IMHO.

Archived