Home

i am canadian do i have to pay a greater monthly fee?

samborino

i guess ur right damn thats like 23 bucks. thats a lot to being paying for a game each month. hopefully they choose not to raise it oh well il ask eb tommorow. cause i remember for Phantasy Star Online they kept the same price american and canadian :mad:

I hope that one year after release the monthly fee will be reduced... but it's only my guess.

BTW I think too that the price will be different from currency to currency, but the question is: what about change variations? Now €uro is stronger than U$ dollar, but what happens if the ratio will be inverted? I will pay more than now?

Of course the amount you pay is slightly different, depending on how strong your local currency is. The bank takes the money from my bank and buys dollar for it, and the current currency prices affects how many swedish crowns I have to pay to get 15 dollars. SOE doesn't care how many swedish crowns I pay, they just want their 15 dollars. The price for me, therefore, will change slightly each month.

For instance, this last year the dollar has taken some severe hits from european currencies, especially the euro, because "someone" yes, I'm looking at you George decided to dump american tax money into the military and screw the society infrastructure, so the monthly fee is actually slightly cheaper for most europeans. But then, we have to import the damn box, so I guess we still get the worst deal. Oh well, can't win them all. :)

EDIT: I'll make it even easier to understand with an example.

Right now, the exchange rate for SEK (swedish crowns) to USD (United States Dollar) at Forex is 8,0871. I have to pay 8,0871 SEK to get 1 USD. So since the monthly fee is $14.99, I'll pay

8,0871 * 14.99 ~ 121 SEK.

Compare that to before the new warmongering administration, and especially before the Iraqi war, the USD was rated about 9,4, and then the cost would have been

9,4 * 14,99 ~ 140 SEK

Quite a difference, eh? And if the US economy continues down the drain like now, perhaps with the help of another costly war, we could get a scenario where it is rated at about 7, and that would make the monthly cost for me

7 * 14,99 ~ 104 SEK.

See? There's quite a difference between 140 SEK and 104 SEK, about 35%, even though the USD price is the same. I pay the same amount of USD, but the World Bank, the different stock markets across the globe and the economy researchers have less faith in (and especially, hope for) american economy these days, and therefore your currency is cheap these days.

This is another part of setsuko's mastermind plan to educate everyone in here into true renaissance people. ;)

The disadvantage is, Jackrabbit, that doing so would make it more expensive for you than anyone else, because of your shrinking economy. Sorry, this is a lose-lose situation for yankees. :(

And yes, keeping track of Dow Jones and NasDaq just so that you know how much you'll pay this month for SWG has its disadvantages. ;)

At least I do not live in Costa Rica... Unless I took all my money there with me, as their exchange rate is something like 354 units of their currency to the USD. So in other words, I would have 354 dollars for every one USD I brought with me... AND it is tropical!:D;):p

EDIT: Something would probably bite me over their and I would die... but oh well, I could be rich for a while.:(

Nonononono, it doesn't work that way. Just because you switch your dollar into lire doesn't mean you have the worth of 10 000 dollars. Yes, you would have 304 of their local currency. But what counts is what the levels of cost are in the country; in Sweden, most things costs more, so you would get LESS things for every dollar, compared to what you'd get in the states. And in China it's the opposite, there you'd get more per dollar than in the states, even though you'd have more of the local currency in both examples. What counts is not the exchange rate, but the cost of living. It's even more complicated than that, of course, since different parts of the market deviate in different amounts, for instance, gas is way more expensive, proportionally, in Sweden than say, timber. And we are not only speaking about actual items, we're talking about services. How much the waitress costs. How much the fireman costs. It permeats every single aspect of your life. Welcome to the world of economy.

However, in this case, it is the movement of a currency that makes things interesting. Not the echange rate per se. But when exchange rates fluctuates faster than the cost of living, we get interesting situations. You get world politics affecting international economy. Politics in motion. That's when the everyday man and woman has to pay the price of the governments politics, and you pay it with every single thing you import, every japanese car, every german household machine, every piece of lego. You might not realize it, but still you pay the price.

They pay the same amount of USD as everyone else. Or do you think the head honcho's at SOE suddenly thought: "Oh, I'll just take 15 of the local currency, thank you. I don't mind the fact that it's only worth US$0,75, I'm obsessed with the number 15!". ;)

All monetary transfers ends up at the same place, and they'd be damned if it mattered if the 15 USD came from Cleveland or Nairobi, as long as it's 15 USD.

And no, lying and ignorance are two very different things.

Well, the cost of living in Costa Rica is pretty cheap.

A papaya there costs one-third of an American cent. That means that my currency will be based off of the papaya trade market.:D

Well, actually, guessing from the cost of a papaya there being 1.06 Costa Rican units of currency, and me bringing an even $1,000 USD with me, I would have $354,000 Costa Rican units. Now that is quite a bit of papayas there. Now the cost of a house in the USA is well over $100,000, but I will be generous and say it is a shazzy house. How many American papayas does it take to buy a house here? Lets see... I will say the papaya imported here from somewhere costs a pricy $2.00 a pop. So it would take 50,000 papayas to buy a shazzy American home. That many papayas in Costa Rican units of currency may be 94,340 papayas, but I can afford more papayas.

In the US I can afford 500 papayas with $1,000 USD. But in Costa Rica, I can afford 333,333 papayas. I have quite a few papayas left over after the purchase of that shazzy Costa Rican house. The difference of being in debt by 45,000 papayas in the US and having 238,993 papayas left over in Costa Rica. :)

P.S. My logic is flawed somewhere here... I just have a feeling it is in the math.;) I found my error I think.:D The answer lies in the papayas!

Lol, this discussion is taking a very interesting, and very funny twist.

Well, the primary error in your logic is basing the economic estimations on the unit papaya, which is faulty, since Costa Rica has more papaya plantations than the US (close to nil). Since the unit is available on a domestic level, the price is far from representative. It's like saying that just because mud is cheap in a mudpit, it would be as cheap if you sold it on a mudless field, where mudmen are desperate to build mudhuts, much like americans are desperate for papayas to build papaya huts.

Of course, you are correct that the general cost of living in Costa Rica is cheaper. That has to do with wages, and conjunctures. Thing is, a worker in Costa Rica is payed **** for their work. Their employers can pay them very low wages, knowing that the workers won't quit because there's no alternative that pay more. So this difference in the amounts of papaya you speak of is merely the difference in your living conditions, based on the aftereffects of colonialism; every cent that you would be richer in Costa Rica after exchanging your money is because the workers there doesn't have fair wages, and never had the chanse to get them. So your huge pile of papaya would be based on the poverty of Costa Ricans, who have neither papaya, mudhuts or even mudmen! Your papaya stash would be a very concrete evidence of the neocolonialism that Wall Street worships as 'The Market'. So enjoy your papayas, and don't mind that they taste of Costa Rico blood. ;)

EDIT: DAMN! Just as I wrote this, there was a commercial with papayas on the telly. Creeeeepy!

Off topic? We've been discussing economics all along, I'd say! :D

And actually, in very different ways, we've been discussing exchange rates and their reasons, and that's what the topic was! The fact that the nefarious papaya took such a great role, well... I blame it on Sunshine! He started! I promise! :)

i guess your right but know were not even talking about swg were talking about papayas and costa rica. :D so any ways why dont u go down to costa rica stock up on papayas and sell them in the us for 100 times what they are worth down there it is a 100% profit

Lets try and bring this back on topic, shall we? If you lived in Canada, having less imported papayas than America, and assuming that the papayas cost around $3.00 USD, you would have to pay 5 whole papayas a month to play!!!:D I hope they do not spoil too fast, papaya season is ending. STOCKPILE THEM NOW!!!

(Papaya season does not end... Costa Rica is tropical.)

And Costa Rica is better off than many South American countries, like Venezuela with its problems with polution and oil... and shizz for wages there too. I hear Brazil has taken to smuggling parrots up their butts to get past inspections at the border. Poor birds. Many die along the way... So make SURE your parrot is American grown, and that his biological parents (grandparents, too) were not butt smuggled into the country.:D

(Same applies for other countries as well. Please, help fight the butt smuggling immigrants.)

EDIT: @Samborino: That is also illegal in many ways, too. So do not get caught. Why do you think I have not sped down to Mexico to buy things cheap and bring them back to the US?

This is from the official site: note on the bold text :(

Subscription rates for Star Wars Galaxies™: An Empire Divided™

1 month - $14.99

3 months - $41.99

6 months - $77.99

12 months - $143.99

All billing plans are recurring, meaning you will continue to be billed at the appropriate interval, until you cancel your subscription. Note that purchasers of the full game will receive their free month of game play after supplying valid billing information. If you cancel your subscription during the free month, no charges will be made to your credit card.

New York State and Texas residents will be charged sales tax. Additionally, residents of EU countries will be charged VAT equal to 17.5% of the subscription fees listed above

I hope that the european release will come soon.... very soon :(

Archived