Home

Intel Graphics Cards

jordie8472

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check the mb on it should be at least 32 most intel graphics cards that ship with computers are about 8mb. so u probably should check. and when you have those integrated intel chips u cant get a new graphics card either. u just have to buy a whole new comp. UH-OH

umm. the graphics card must support Hardware Texturing and Lighting and your intel (most likely intergrated) card probably does not support that function.

If you are unforunate enough to have a intel intergrated card you have two options:

1) Buy a PCI Accelerated Graphics Card to fit at least the minimum requirements (Radeon 7500, Geforce 3, i think). The PCI Graphics card are not as common as the AGP version and are usually more expensive.

2) Buy a new motherboard that has no AGP/intergrated GPU.

Here is the information about my card:

ITEL® GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 06,25,2003

Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 11:28:42

Driver Version: 6.13.01.3162

Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600

Default Language: English

DirectX* Version: 8.1

Physical Memory: 254 MB

Processor: x86

Processor Speed: 1794 MHZ

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x2562

Device Revision: 1

i will tell you this... you will not be happy with 256mb RAM and running SWG especially with WINDOWS XP [5.1.2600]. Anyway how much vram is on the card? the 256 (~254) is physical memory (DIMM) not VRAM. My guess is that your GPU leeches off your physical RAM (up to 32 mb)

If you currently have 254 MB of ram, but you really have 256 MB of ram wouldn't that mean your getting 2 MB Video shared memory? I may be wrong that sounds odd, my old old pc has 64 ram but 8mb shared so it saids 56...

But anyways I'd suggest buying a PCI card, they're not to expensive...you can probally get a good PCI Video card for cheap on Pricewatch :fett:

Originally posted by jordie8472

Here is the information about my card:

ITEL® GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 06,25,2003

Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 11:28:42

Driver Version: 6.13.01.3162

Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600

Default Language: English

DirectX* Version: 8.1

Physical Memory: 254 MB

Processor: x86

Processor Speed: 1794 MHZ

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x2562

Device Revision: 1

it looks like u have one of the newer intel graphics chipsets...

but it looks like it is onboard. the "Physical Memory" of 254 mb referrs to the memory allocated from the memory actually placed on the motherboard.

you see, most onboard graphics cards share the ram with the system ram that u have installed. i believe there should be an option in the cmos/bios where u can change the size.

i suggest 1/3 or 1/2 of your system memory should be shared.

but if u really do have 256mb of RAM total...jeez.

the good thing: it is dx 8.1 certified.

the bad news: it may perform badly in graphics intensive applications.

if your graphics quality and frames per second are at least 60 in Jedi Knight II then it would be safe to say u are good to go for galaxies (try it online...more graphic/cpu/ram intensive, jedi knight that is).

the radeon 9700 and 9800 are available in pci form if u are really serious about upgrading, but i am afraid those versions are the all in wonder editions only...

dont listen to the guy who just told you to get a PCI graphics card, no offense but those are worthless, they are way to slow. :p

SWG is a pretty graphic intensive game. you are going to want a GeForce 3 or 4 if you are going the nvidia route, or for ATI get a Radeon 9000, 9500, or 9700.

also upgrade your ram to 512mb.

and dont get any PCI graphics card, they arent worth it. They are about as good as a Ewoks which just tells you how worthless they are.

the GeForce 4's and Radeon 9700 is on level with a Deathstar. they rule! :):deathstar

toolfans right. And also don't bother with the new ATI 9600pro, its slower than the 9500pro (mainly due to the fact it only has 4 gfx pipelines compared to the 9500's 8) and costs more or less the same. The 9500pro will do a great job for you. However no matter what graphics card you decide to get, be it a high end card or a bidget level, no card will run SWG at full intesity.

I didnt see anywhere in his posts where it said it was intergrated.

anyways if PCI is his only solution then i'm afraid to say but he probably wont be able to play SWG. Graphic cards arent released anymore to support PCI because its BUS speed isnt fast enough anymore. At most you can get a PCI GeForce 2, but that really isnt going to cut it for a very graphic intensive game like SWG.

The best thing I can recommend is to just buy a new computer that was designed for gaming. Make sure it has a AGP slot in it so you can upgrade. AGP is the only thing card makers release graphic cards for now, because AGP was designed specifically for graphics cards.

if you can't afford a new PC will then its time to start saving so you can get into SWG as fast as possible. :(

I agree that the PCI GPUs are inferior... I am just curious so before we assume the fact that there is no AGP slot please look at your motherboard for a dark brown slot about the same size as the white PCI slots (standard colors of course). Maybe they didn't intergrate the AGP slot (its not like intergrated card need the extra pipeline of AGP anyway)

...but back to realm of the PCI, if you have some extra money it would be wise to just buy another motherboard (~100 USD), will be a pain to install all the crap into the new motherboard, but if you want to play SWG its "...your only hope" then buy a (100-150 USD) GPU depending on your luck thats equivalent to a GF3 ti and maybe a 4 ti 4200 64mb

Ok everyone.

My card officially doesn't work with the game. I got the game today, and when i tried to launch it, an error window popped up saying that direct 3D couldn't be intialized & my card doesn't support some kind of lighting. I'm out of ideas and tired of fighting with my computer. I might just give up on it, if all else fails.

Anymore upgrade suggestions?

Thanks

Archived