Home

Intel Graphics Cards

jordie8472

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldnt go for just getting the game to work, if you are going to get a new graphics card might as well go all out and get something nice.

first of all though open up your computer case and make sure you have a small brown looking slot, that is a AGP slot. go check now then get back to this thread with what you found. :)

if you dont have that then you are forced to get a new computer.

Originally posted by toolfan

sleep! thanks for reminding me.

Bleh sleep is overrated.... :o

I have a very nice Voddoo 3 2500 it has 16000 kilobytes of memory or .016 gigs of VRAM AWSOME!!!(and makes a nice paper weight)... it cost $130 new and guess what its PCI! awsome huh.... dont go with a PCI graphics cards only as an absolute last resort...

Originally posted by jordie8472

Verto™ GeForce4 MX 440-SE 64MB PCI Video Card

Will this work with Galaxies. The only thing that makes me unsure is the Verto name.

yes, but if possible go with the 128mb version instead

I have a Verto... the company is PNY. My card is the Verto Geforce 4 ti4600 128MB AGP. PNY basically uses the nvidia reference cards so they have been tested. They may not be the best overclockers like Gainward, but there solid.

Jordie8472 are you sure its a AGP and not a CNR slot. The AGP is like a PCI slot reverse

for example

PCI = ---------------|----

AGP = ----|------------

where the "|" is the break in the slot

the AGP is about 75% the size of the PCI

a CNR is -----|----

about 45% of a PCI's size

both the CNR and the AGP are usually dark brown. NOT all motherboards have CNR slots

so it IS intergrated, right? If its not then you don't need to disable just remove the card. If you need to diable the intergrated GPU chip just go into the PCI/AGP menu and there should be some sort of option to change from intergrated to AGP (or PCI)

Dell should be able to help its their modication of the bios (probably). So its probably pretty limited, so you cannot screw it up... ;)

getting to the bios is different for each bios (not determined by the Operating system)

It usually involves pressing a key during startup before windows boots. It can be done up the point when the RAM has been completely counted (on the POST screen). Also outputs the key to press to enter the bios.

The POST screen is:

the black screen where you CPU speed is shown the bios version, name, serial, etc. are showed, and where the RAM is counted.

The problem with OEM computers (pre-built computers) is that sometimes you cannot see the post screen; all you see is a logo or something. It doesn't really matter than you cannot see the POST screen it just helps you determine when to press the key.

Common keys are Delete(not backspace), F-keys(some are windows-preset however like f8 to start safe mode)

Dell can probably tell you what key to press during startup. You could instead hit random keys (its not like to going to screw up something by doing this, however you could hit a safe mode screen, or something that doesn't change anything permanently.

So you have a integrated card and an AGP slot, correct?

It appears that Dell (or at least the guy I talked to doesn't know crap about their computers). I don't have an AGP slot. I have nothing but crappy PCIs. Thankfully we have exchanged the Radeon 9000 for a GeForce 440 (PCI, of course. 64 MB). I am so sick of waiting to play this game. By the end of this week, I should be playing.

Is it easy to install a card into the AGP slot? Just wondering.

It depends. The actual inserting the card into the slot is pretty forward, but the rest can be tricky (program/drivers and stuff) these days.

Take the "ATi Radeon 9700 Pro ALL-IN-WONDER" card.

I just bought it, and it appears that unless I have an "Intel chipset-based motherboard", I will have to install some custom drivers for my AGP slot. I have an AMD Athlon XP motherboard.

Now, my problem is, I can't find my AGP controller in the "Device Manager" under the "System Devices" section. The only thing that has the word AGP in it is the "NVIDIA nForce AGP Host to PCI bridge".

But not only does my problem stop there. :)

Nooooo, it also requires an internal powerunit that can provide 300W or more in order to ensure that the machine will get enough juice to power up. My current powerunits wattage output is max 200. :(

So, I'll have to get myself a new powerunit aswell. :p

i really hope u didn't already blow ur money on a crappy Radeon PCI card cuz well you have screwed urself. if u need a PCI slot the best one to get is the GeForce FX 5200 128 MB card it supports all of the new Direct X9 features. i have it and was able to run Doom 3 at a decent FPS but then again i have 512 MB DDR and P4 2.4 blah blah but if u can return ur Radeon card i would reccommend it. the extra memory really helps so dont get a TI cuz i've heard this game is a memory hog so u want as much memory to use to texturize this game as possible.

Archived