Home

ES on SWGB

Archangel (Ensemble's PR guy) said this about our game:

Star Wars Battlegrounds and Expansion was made by Lucas Arts with the ES AOK Engine. Nice game, still play it off and on when I want that AOK/SW feeling. I recently saw it in a Gaming Store in a Bundle for a good price.

I know to most of you this seems spammy, but I just thought it was cool to hear ES's opinion on the game. Especially since most other people on Ao_ forums have bad things to say about it (the funniest is when people at AoK forums say that it has bad graphics). Anyway, post here if you want or let this sink or delete this or flame me or whatever.

i think there's a lot more strategy involved in SWGB:CC than in AoK. Power cores, more units. And the unique units are better too.

Anyone can put up a barracks building near an opponents base. but in SWGB you need power... but you cant afford 2 troop centers early and you cant afford 2 power cores early. and you need the power core to get the food and carbon upgrades.

plus you add air into the mix and jedi... much more variety...

HOWEVER... for some reason there are like at least 5 times as many people who play AoK on the zone than SWGB:CC... go figure.

AoK's real power is AoE popularity. Now Force Commander suck so much that people did not believe into any SW RTS. So I think if they heavily modified the engine and Force Commander did not exist, SWGB would have more popularity.

Remember that one of the reasons people did not lile the game it's because they felt it was an AoK rip-off(true to some extent).

i know! there's SO much more strategy involved!

power cores, air... jedi are more powerful than monks... more units... i guess the AoK community doesnt care that much for SW. and the SW community doesnt like the game enough to stick around. i like AoK... but playing that after playing this seems like going back in time in terms or strategies.

yes it is quite sad... this game is wayyy funner than aok ..but a kid might be obliged to pass this game on just because its star wars ... those stereotypes are so not true lol..

i remember when someone posted on some aom or aok forums at mfo, and half the people there like like star wars.... pfft

little did they know half the mods there used to play this game all the time and thought it was great lol

Yes I know.

I was talking about stuff like ''Finding Nemo'', ''Bambi", etc.

Stuff that aren't bought by disney...

Those are Disney true products.

Wait...

Star Wars, the movies, aren't owned by Disney...we don't see them in the generic or anything...Hey what the hell?!

I remember George Lucas saying that he will always keep all the copyrights for him. Fox tried to buy them and keep the profit of the products but Lucas cut his salary in half so he only can keep those rights...so Windu...wtf?

I dont get it either... are you referring to the titles? I know GL owns everything SW related. I mean, he made his own production companies so he didnt have to pay anyone else. He takes in all the profits from them... or at least that's what impression i was under.

He got a little confused, he was thinking about the park attractions, of course at MGM we have th Indiana Jones Show and Star Tours, and at the Magic Kingdom there's a game related to aliens (although not the same ones of the movie). Windu, did you mean that?

@ lukeiamyourdad: Actually he has already sold them, but FOX is very respectful of his work, so there's really not much problem for Lucas to work with anything SW-related.

Returning to the topic, well, AoK is historic which adds something extra to the game, I mean there are a lot of people who find the game "more mature" because your playing with people and armies that were once real.

Other people like a couple of friends simply didn't get the game (I don't know why) so they returned to AoK.

Personally I like both game the same, since I like history and Star Wars a lot.

But like I said before, the rip-off arguement is actually somewhat valid with this game, and this fact will sadly always be held against it.

I like both. But I like SW a little more because of the simple fact that you cant put a troop center next to your enemies base so early and it makes your "wood" a little more valuable by needing a power core for buildings... then again that's always been my arguement. But I did play The Conquerors today!:p

Maybe *shrugs*

Yeah, Compa, a bunch of people I played with from AoK just dismissed this as a big mod. Suprisingly, the only person that I hooked was the one who knew the least about SW (simwiz). Despite his shortcomings, he saw this game like how I saw it, AoK, but better balanced and more fun. Plus the SW stuff is cool.

Archived