Home

XIII demo (French version)

2s.jpg1s.jpg4s.jpg

I just played the French demo of XIII. Before I go further I'll say that the visual style of this game is not necessarily for everyone (I'll elaborate shortly). However, it seems to handle really well. The two levels I played were laid out nicely (a beach scene with boardwalks, and an indoor barracks in a winter setting), and though the A.I. is not much on par with HL or NOLF, they're well placed and responsive enough (ducking for cover, advancing, etc.). The controls are standard (but no lean function - damn!), the weapons performed nicely, and overall the action is good quality. Don't expect much in terms of innovative gameplay, it mostly adheres to conventions, with a stray here and there.

Human_shields.jpgsnap106s.jpgsnap323s.jpg

Like I said, not everyone will like the cel shaded look, but those of you who do will find it refreshing for a FPS. Visually the game is very, very stylish. I love how when you kill an enemy his deathcry echoes in floating letters that fade away after he falls. And if you snipe them a little panelled cartoon box appears showing in closeup of the death scene itself, each panel emphasizing a shot. The dynamic graphic novel style works great! Overall I think the game shows lots of promise, if not as a trendsetter, then at least as different looking gaming experience. I definitely would like to get this game (comes out in October).

Unfortunately, if anyone wants to try the demo, you'll have to play it streaming - a la Steam - from a French site, which means you must download the client. Setting up is fairly easy, the controls are conventional for FPSs. Gamer's Hell has the skinny. No word yet on the english demo.

Have you heard that David Duchovny, Adam West and rapper/actress Eve will be doing voicework for XIII? I don't know much about Eve's acting abilities (though "Gangsta Lovin'" is catchy), but having Mulder and Batman in the game seems like a plus. Or at least an interesting gimmick.

Oh, and here's the kind of quote that makes me reconsider my decision to go into marketing and public relations as a career:

"Having a hot personality like Eve involved in the game enforces what the gaming community has been shouting all year--XIII is the coolest action shooter in 2003."

--Tony Kee, Marketing VP at Ubi Soft

Yeah, I heard about their pick for the voice work. Sounds promising, though I've never heard Eve act.

That marketing blurb sucks.

I just played more into the second level, which gives you the option of going stealthily. It's actually challenging, reminding me some of No One Lives Forever 2. But here you can actually pick up such things as bottles and glass shards to use as weapons or distractions. So far it looks like it's gonna be fairly linear, with little cartoon panels appearing and giving visual clues and prompts. Oh, and you can use your fists for combat; nice to have that to fall back on.

Originally posted by amishler

Have you heard that David Duchovny, Adam West and rapper/actress Eve will be doing voicework for XIII? I don't know much about Eve's acting abilities (though "Gangsta Lovin'" is catchy), but having Mulder and Batman in the game seems like a plus. Or at least an interesting gimmick.

Interesting gimmick. Watch the XIII trailer. Horrible acting by Mulder. Makes you realize the value of a good director.

new5.jpg

I'm wondering if they're going to release a multiplayer demo. I hope they implement some of the visual features for mp, like the cartoon panels and floating letters. Fist fights should be fun :D (just like NOLF mp), especially in a comic book style.

Archived