Home

Morality and the modern gamer

Not that anyone is breathlessly awaiting an update on my adventures in Knights of the Old Republic, but I thought I'd give one anyway, as a segue to a broader gaming topic. I have gone through the game twice, once as a Light Side male and once as a Dark Side female. I enjoyed both immensely, but I have to say this: At first, being totally evil is a lot of fun, because you're mostly picking on random NPCs you meet throughout the game and you get some really funny dialog options. But toward the end, you have to make some pretty important decisions, decisions that can put you in direct conflict with other members of your party. And for me, that led to some uncomfortable moments.

It reminded me of something I saw when I was looking for articles on KotOR a week or so ago. The Toronto Globe and Mail actually did a nice story on this aspect of gaming, featuring KotOR and quoting executives from BioWare, Microsoft, Sony and UbiSoft, among others.

This kind of concern for moral choices and consequences is something new in the universe of video gaming, where trigger-happy contestants are traditionally rewarded for shooting first and never asking questions.

It represents a new generation of sophisticated electronic games, created for a maturing and rapidly expanding audience, that are transforming gaming consoles from an adolescent diversion into a mainstream entertainment medium with artistic integrity and a social conscience.

I thought this was a really good article, especially for the mainstream press. It's certainly a refreshing change from their usual focus on the negative social aspects of gaming. (For an example of said negative focus, see today's editorial cartoon by our local Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist.)

When it comes down to it, I think I enjoyed the Light Side better. The Dark Side has a better ending and some hilarious dialog options, but there's something to be said for the challenge of finding a solution to the problem that doesn't involving blasting (or sabering, whatever). And you definitely have to think it through more carefully if you're trying to avoid Dark Side Points.

That being said, I didn't not enjoy the Dark Side. It's just a darn good game no matter how you play it, and the fact that how you play it makes a difference is icing.

EDIT: Link's fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for pointing it out.

Originally posted by SamandMax

I can't wait until Fable. That'll take morals to the next level in gaming.

*praies That, actually happens :D

but as we know Molyneux it WILL happen

*drooling*

(so KOTOR is SO good e?.....when does the pc version comes out again?)

Archived