Home

What is considered Art & Artistic?

SkinWalker

What do you define as Art? Is there a line to what is considered artistic? Can that line be crossed into the distasteful or a simple "WTF?"

I highly recommend that you listen to the Reith Lecture: the Artful Brain by Professor Vilayanur S Ramachandran. You can find the transcript for the lecture (and his other 3 lectures of the series) on this webpage.

He discusses what he calls "10 Universal Laws of Art," which include:

• Peak Shift
  • Grouping
  • Contrast
  • Isolation
  • Perception problem solving
  • Symmetry
  • Abhorrence of coincidence/generic viewpoint
  • Repetition, rhythm and orderliness
  • Balance
  • Metaphor

I'm not sure I entirely agree with him, but he makes some very compelling arguments and discusses caricature and how this is appealing because of the exaggerations in characteristics that make the representation look more like the subject than the subject does. He also talks a bit about how brains in birds will favor an artificial beak over a genuine one.... etc.

Perhaps members who post here could provide a link to a graphical representation (or textual/musical... etc.) provided they violate no laws, policies, or copyrights, to something they consider as "art" or "artistic."

I'll include this: http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/images/eg17.9.1.R(1).jpg

The caption that accompanied this image at the Met said: The Egyptians knew that the placid-looking Hippopotamus is actually a dangerous animal when alarmed or angered. This tomb offering was found with three legs smashed so that it could not harm its deceased owner.

I liked the lecture very much. gonna find more about it definitly. I guess if these are really universal natural principles of art, then I we can ask ourselves a question. Can I therefore create art if I know these principles without being talent.

I was a guide/translator in spanish while studying in spanish gymnasioum (that means spanish is more native to me and I speak it better, and sometimes lose myself in english). And I was specialized on sight seeings of Petersburg, but 50% of my knowledge was about Hermitage. A marvelous museum. I guess i'm too proud of it. Well I had to know quite many things there and be able to explain to foreighners. I remember that it was for granted to me to not considering very high those peiople who came to see Rafael's, ofr Da Vinchi's art, or dolphin of Michelangelo. And it offended me very much when some people asked me why I was telling a lot about him and not much about that Buanorotti I mentioned with the name of the masters. And I was even proud that I could debate that Velazquez was still classisist. And it was alioke a sacred place where the only painting of Francisco de Goya was. Noone just noticed that it was the only in Russia of Goya.

And it pisses me off when americans come to Hermitage they just want to see those impressionists. It makes me think it's only impresiionists they know about. And how can a man understand implicitly an iimpressionist like Picasso, Mone or Van Gog if he doesn't know anything bout classicism, renassaince and everything that was before. I guess a kid has more sense here asking his mother of the painting of Mone: "Why one man has one leg longer than the other on his painting. He can't draw or what?"

Then one day dad took me to modern art gallery and it was just confusing. I told him: "You know, I guess I believe it's art but I feel I ain't got enough knowledge about it to understand how great it is". I said that when he was young he loved modern art books as they were free to read. And as i look back on it I feel ashamed for not understanding and not trying to understand modern art. I still don't. I only give respect to Warhol as he was the only I was interested to read about.

Very hard to say anything against Ramachandran. I have seen him on several Public Brodcasting Shows and he is very well spoken.

His point of culture imposed ideals is a good point.

I, like him am not interested in the superficial culture imposed artistic ideals. But that common thread in all of us.

I want to write more my but my 34 month old is holding one of my hands pleading for me to play with here. Bye.

Archived