Home

In-progress fan AG's

After KQ1 and KQ2 remakes from Tierra I'm very encouraged by the fact, that there's more and more amateur adventure games (that explore the series we know and love) beeing made. Despite these two mentioned (and QfG 4.5) are the only (as far as I know) completed I hope that most of these will succesfully make to happy end.

I keep me updated on few of them, but I wonder if there's more?

The games that I'm aware of are:

Quest for Glory 2 remake

King's Quest 9

Hero 6

Struggle for Life and Honor

Space Quest 2 remake

Space Quest 7

Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis 2

Indiana Jones: Fountain of Youth

EDIT: Bleah.

Right after leaving the computer classroom I noticed that I had made a mistake. I thought I could fix it before anyone noticed, but remixor did. Remind me to kill you someday...

Personally I'm against fangames. Remind me to kill all fangame makers as well... :mad:

There is also Space Quest: The Lost Chapter. I've never played it but I've heard it's good. I think it's done in AGI.

I really respect people who make fangames (tierra especially). It's like, if the company doesn't listen to its customers and give us what we want, we'll go make it ourselves... I think it takes a lot of time / dedication for relatively little payoff (and no money!) It's a labor of love.

That said, there are a lot of these types of games that are announced but never finished. I'm of the opinion that one shouldn't announce their game until they've made significant progress with it. But I feel that way about everything... it also drives me nuts when someone says "I'm writing a novel... I'll be starting it in the next 6 months or so."

-emily

ps deadworm, why are you against fangames?

And of course the excellent and complete Space Quest 0: Replicated. It's well worth a play and is very well done. If you didn't know it'd been made recently you could be forgiven for being fooled into thinking it is a quality Sierra adventure made back in the ag golden age.

EDIT:

And heres the link for Space Quest: The Lost Chapter released back in Feb 2001 as mentioned by Fov. :)

Everyone who has any interest in fan games should make special note of Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth. I swear, it's beautiful. Same 300x240 resolution as FOA, but the quality of the background is amazing. It looks like they got the old LucasArts crew back together for a reunion or something. Check it out at http://screen7.adventuredevelopers.com/foy/

Also, there's a really nice rolling demo at:

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=3477

I'd definitely recommend checking it out (the website has not been updated to reflect the existence of that demo, btw)

There's also a remake of SQIII in progress. I haven't checked out the demo myself, so I can't vouch for its quality. I'll probably download it now, since I'm talking about it :p

Screenshots here: http://questforglory.narod.ru/screenshots.html

Demo here:

http://questforglory.narod.ru/sq3vgademo.zip

Originally posted by fov

ps deadworm, why are you against fangames?

They pray to the Visigoths. :mad:

Really, I don't want them to be killed, just make them feel a bit sorry. I'd rather play completely original games than sequels. The good thing is that I haven't played those old adventure games, so that the (possibly lower) quality of the fansequel won't affect my playing experience :D

Originally posted by remixor

I think yacek meant games based on existing series ("that explore the series we know and love"), rather than just any amateur adventures. Otherwise, a simple link to http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk would take care of most of them.

That's precisely what I meant. Of course I know there are tons of crappy adventures out there. Mostly because the majority of these "game creators" think they could make a decent game in a weekend. :mad:

I was thinking about serious and devoted creators that want to make professionaly-looking game

Originally posted by deadworm222

Remind me to kill all fangame makers as well... :mad:

I hope you won't be reminded about that any soon, because I'm waiting for those games, mentioned in my first post :D

But I don't care about the rest, so go for it ;)

Oh, one more thing. Deadworm, have you heard about one crappy fangame, beeing developed by Decapitated Entertainment ?

:D:);):p:cool:

Deadworm: You still haven't said why you don't like fan games. Why do they bother you, especially since you say haven't played any of the old original games on which they're based. You also say you'd rather play original games, but the existence of fan games doesn't hinder you in that goal. A lot of developers of those fan games don't even WANT to be making anything else, since they love their old series so much and want to add onto (or remake) it, which means they probably wouldn't be developing original games anyway. Bear in mind that all of these games are being developed independently and at the sole expense of the developer; these games are their labours of love. It seems unfair to say that since you'd rather have them make original games, their efforts are somehow unworthy. And speaking of you assumption that fan games are automatically of "lower quality", look at Tierra. Their KQ1 remake was exactly the same as Sierra's game in all but graphics, which were greatly improved. Nowhere to go but up. In the case of KQ2, it's pretty much universally agreed that Tierra improved just about EVERY aspect of the game, from character development to plot to puzzles to graphics to sound. Also, bear in mind that developing a game on your own is a difficult thing (as you're probably aware) and to create a full-fledged adventure from beginning to end takes a degree of dedication that most likely would not be reached by some guy who puts forth some half-assed effort. It's more likely that the teams making these games are devoted Sierra/LucasArts fans (in the case of the games listed in this thread) who know the original games well enough not to ruin them too much. Anyway, my point is, give these guys a break; they're doing this all for free, and they're doing it for us. Really, everybody wins.

Nobody understands my humour. When I said that someone "prays to the Visigoths" or "should be hanged", I supposed that everyone would understand I'm not at all serious. But some people don't...

remixor: I never thought about that... Now you've enlightened me. Still, there's something about people creating sequels for a game made by entirely other people, but they can do whatever they want!! Why should they care about what I think, dedicated and marvellous and etcetera that they are? (Especially one of the Zak2 projects. People have been leaving and entering the project and it probably has had all graphics artists and writers that live in Germany.) And as with all amateur-made games my basic assumption is that it's something done in five minutes, because that's what most of them are. In any case, "possibly" still means "possibly". If a game is good, it is good, but I can't help thinking if it only was more original. What for do they need to copy the characters? Why not make a story in another universe? That would make more sense to me, but I'm not them.

yacek: They are amateur games. Not fangames. One day they might be ready. Or then not! Who knows. "DECAPITATED ENTERTAINMENT will be focusing on unfinished freeware adventure games" it says on the about-page, and that's not a joke. I design websites as a hobby, and as I decided to start exploring different adventure game engines, I decided to create "Decapitated Entertainment" website as yet another excercise. If something would be finished, it would be finished and if not, it wouldn't be a big deal. Nobody visits that site anyway, so what's the point? Anyone with a brain should understand that those projects are not serious. "Not-yet cancelled project ENGLISH COFFEE." Which reminds me that ENGLISH COFFEE is actually cancelled and that I have to get back to the WinterMute Engine 'cause it keeps crashing, excuse me...

Anyone with a brain should understand that those projects are not serious.

Why are you getting so nervous? You blindly criticize all amateur games, while having a website like that - I just thought It's very funny.

They are amateur games. Not fangames..

And what's the difference between? Because you write about both badly:

Personally I'm against fangames. Remind me to kill all fangame makers as well...

And as with all amateur-made games my basic assumption is that it's something done in five minutes, because that's what most of them are.

I agree that there are many people who claim, that they've made great game, while it is a total crap. Maybe because they lack talent or skill. Maybe because they didn't put enough effort and time in the game. That could be annoying. But that doesn't justify criticizing everyone who tries to make something for others, because among them, there are people who should be admired for their dedication.

But let's drop this argue. Starting this post I wanted to get to know about other amateur projects (to state clear for those who didn't catch it: I mean serious projects - but well, anyone with a brain should have noticed that ;) )

So please post what you know about the topic.

Yacek: just for clarification's sake, a fangame is an amateur game made based on an existing game or series of games, whereas amateur games include those and any other game developed independently by non-professionals. It's kind of a silly and nonintuitive way to label them, because obviously anyone who makes an amateur adventure game MUST be a FAN of at least one pre-existing adventure game or series (and probably many more), or they wouldn't be making their own. But anyway, that's how it is.

Just for the sake of my mental health, I have to post.

But that doesn't justify criticizing everyone who tries to make something for others, because among them, there are people who should be admired for their dedication.

Where did I say that I don't admire those people who actually finish their game? I mean, and I can't stress this word enough, seriously.

Most people who make bad games know they make bad games, and are even glad to admit that they make bad games. I used to think otherwise until I found the huge amounts of AGS games. Most of them were even meant to be bad test games, for Chris(t)'s sake!

Perhaps I just lack conversation skills. yacek picked out sentences from my post, which, when used as simple statements without anything around them, look purely horrible. I could never have done that, that's one skill I admire on others.

So, just to make sure: Let's get to the first post at Adventure Gamers forums. "Remind me to kill you someday." I thought everyone knew that in my language it means "I can't stand it when people say I'm wrong about something." Then: "Remind me to kill all fangame makers as well" was just an addition to the phrase, to make the whole post seem even more ridiculous. "Personally" and "against" were used in the previous sentence for the same purpose. I added the :mad: emoticon to absolutely make sure that I'm joking; no-one who uses emoticons is serious. How is it possible to misunderstand me so badly?

Then on to the Visigoths-post. "They pray to the Visigoths" naturally means that I was joking all the time. The Visigoths were stolen from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" where Arthur Dent screams "You half-crazed Visigoths!!" Visigoths are also mentioned in "Gabriel Knight 3". "Just make them feel a bit sorry" is a Terry Pratchett-quote I used: those who'd precognize it as Pratchett would smile, those who wouldn't would hopefully smile, too. I thought that this was settled and that no-one would bug me anymore about why I had initially stated that "I'm against fangames".

remixor's post was good, but he totally missed the main point: the amount of jokes my post contained. If I actually would have wanted to say anything more with my first post than "Sorry that I didn't read the first post carefully enough", I would have said something which would have meant about the same as this: "If a game is good, it is good, but I can't help thinking if it only was more original. What for do they need to copy the characters? Why not make a story in another universe? That would make more sense to me, but I'm not them."

And then comes yacek and says: "Why are you getting so nervous? You blindly criticize all amateur games, while having a website like that - I just thought It's very funny." It's no wonder I get nervous when people don't understand me! Now I finally understand what yacek meant. He meant that it's funny that I say bad things about all amateur games (which I don't) when I make games myself. But it's no wonder I didn't understand him: I couldn't even imagine that somone would interpret my post as "amateur adventure games suck"! If someone asks me "then why didn't you say so!?" I say: "BECAUSE YOU CONFUSED ME!!"

Just for the sake of my mental health, I have to post.

Where did I say that I don't admire those people who actually finish their game? I mean, and I can't stress this word enough, seriously.

Oh come on, look at your first post. I don't see anything in there (including the emoticon, which is an angry one--not used to indicate jest) that implies you admire people who finish fangames. I'm not trying to tell you what you think, I'm just saying what it pretty much seemed like.

So, just to make sure: Let's get to the first post at Adventure Gamers forums. "Remind me to kill you someday." I thought everyone knew that in my language it means "I can't stand it when people say I'm wrong about something." Then: "Remind me to kill all fangame makers as well" was just an addition to the phrase, to make the whole post seem even more ridiculous. "Personally" and "against" were used in the previous sentence for the same purpose. I added the :mad: emoticon to absolutely make sure that I'm joking;

I'm sorry, but this seems objective to the extreme. There's no way you could expect people to ascertain your specific meaning from such ambigous phrases. And saying things like "Remind me to kill all fangame makers as well" does NOT have to indicate that you are completely joking; it can be hyperbole. For example, when someone says "Man, that was the worst game I ever played!" they PROBABLY don't ACTUALLY mean that. It's just a way of expressing their dislike for it in an explicit way.

no-one who uses emoticons is serious.

Um.... You can't possibly mean that. Perhaps nobody who uses emoticons such as :p or :D or :amidala: is serious, but something like :mad: can quite easily actually indicate anger depending on the context.

Then on to the Visigoths-post. "They pray to the Visigoths" naturally means that I was joking all the time. The Visigoths were stolen from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" where Arthur Dent screams "You half-crazed Visigoths!!" Visigoths are also mentioned in "Gabriel Knight 3". "Just make them feel a bit sorry" is a Terry Pratchett-quote I used: those who'd precognize it as Pratchett would smile, those who wouldn't would hopefully smile, too. I thought that this was settled and that no-one would bug me anymore about why I had initially stated that "I'm against fangames".

Well, for all the people who don't know The Hitchhiker's Guide and Pratchett by heart, try to be a little more universal next time. I can't see how a phrase like "Just make them feel a bit sorry" is rather unidentafiable to anyone who doesn't just happen to have it floating around in their head or who just recently read the material. I've read dozens of Pratchett books and I still don't recognize it.

remixor's post was good, but he totally missed the main point: the amount of jokes my post contained. If I actually would have wanted to say anything more with my first post than "Sorry that I didn't read the first post carefully enough", I would have said something which would have meant about the same as this: "If a game is good, it is good, but I can't help thinking if it only was more original. What for do they need to copy the characters? Why not make a story in another universe? That would make more sense to me, but I'm not them."

I sort of see what you mean, but honestly even if I were to go back and read your responses again, I'd have a hard time thinking anything except that you quite simply are against fan games. Also, just for the record, my post that you refer to wasn't intended as an attack or anything, I just wanted to make sure you understood the motives and reasoning behind fan games (I think you got that though).

And then comes yacek and says: "Why are you getting so nervous? You blindly criticize all amateur games, while having a website like that - I just thought It's very funny." It's no wonder I get nervous when people don't understand me! Now I finally understand what yacek meant. He meant that it's funny that I say bad things about all amateur games (which I don't) when I make games myself. But it's no wonder I didn't understand him: I couldn't even imagine that somone would interpret my post as "amateur adventure games suck"! If someone asks me "then why didn't you say so!?" I say: "BECAUSE YOU CONFUSED ME!!" [/b]

To be fair, you confused us as well, so bear that in mind when you think Yacek was being confusing.

Anyway, please don't take any of this personally. This is already getting too heated for my taste. I understand NOW where you're coming from, I think, but I think it would help if you'd go back and try to see things from the point of view of someone else reading your posts--someone who didn't know your precise reasons for emoticons and your Pratchett references and Hitchhiker's Guide quotes. I apologize for anything I said that may have caused offense, since I guarantee none was intended. Anyway, I think we should all be squared away now, eh?

Deadworm: It seems that we share opinions on the most important subjects in this thread:

1. I agree that majority of fan/amateur AG's are of dubious quality, especially those at www.agsforums.com

2. I appreciate the quality fan/amateur projects (that's why I started this thread in the beginning).

You posted your joke, and I posted mine (about Decapitated Entertainment - I believe the number of emoticons below it should be enough to treat it as a joke, at least for a person with a brain, err... for a reasonable person).

And after this joke you just overreacted - I don't like anyone questioning contents of my head without good reason. And I believe you hadn't reason - my joke was as good/bad as yours.

But as I said, we agree on the main subject - and we don't have to have similiar sense of humor. So let that be a conclusion of our dispute :lsduel: and let there be peace forever. :)

And maybe finally someone post some links to serious and quality sequels/remakes of known AG's. But of course I don't mind serious and quality original games.

Perhaps the boost in my real social life has alienated me from the communication methods of the internet. But still, nah, well... I'm sorry for all those people who got confused and/or insulted.

I merely TOLD you where the Visigoths came from. I mean that if someone says "They pray to the Visigoths", how serious can he be?

And the Pratchett quote is from The Truth. The best Pratchett book there is, IMO.

And the Pratchett quote is from The Truth. The best Pratchett book there is, IMO.

Still can't say I remember that particular line, but I really loved that one as well. I'm not sure what I would call the best though, that would be a tough decision.

EDIT: I do think, however, that as one of his later books The Truth has a much more well-developed sense of satire than his earliest work. Pratchett really found his paradoc voice as the series went on. The earlier ones were funnier in more of a LOL!!!1 kind of way, which is just as great, but not as meaningful as what he wrote later.

EDIT: Truth, not Trush :p

err... without stepping into this heated discussion, i'd like to mention that someone is remaking PQ2 in VGA (supposedly). there has not been a lot of news about it, so maybe the project fell through. or maybe whoever's doing it is still doing it and keeping quiet until they have something to show -- which, IMO, is the smartest way to go about something like this.

sierra remade PQ1 in VGA already, although i don't know if it runs on XP or newer computers (there's at least one timing bug, which i encountered on a pentium 1...)

-emily

Just to be clear, are there any amateur adventures that aren't remakes that you don't hate? What do you like/dislike about them?

I'm just curious, cause, you know, I make them and player input helps them not suck.

:atat:Pshooi! Pshooi! :x-wing:kneeeeeeeeeeeeowioioin :fireheadkrachstchowowow!!!

HA! Take THAT seriously.

Archived