Home

Who did the Motion Capture for JA?

Souljah

I would suspect there was no motion capture...
I'm with Prime there, I think they "hand animated" the models.

No I really dont think so, because if you look at the acrobatics they are too human like to have been done by the designers on their own.....and these games almost always have motion capture

Well, much of the animations in JO were motion captured and then hand tweaked. I'm pretty sure Lucasarts was the one in charge of capturing it, though. Animating, by hand, complicated acrobatic moves would be a very very complicated task and is almost impossible to do in a reasonable amount of time in the quantities that are seen in JO and even more so in JA. (JA has twice as many of these moves as JO!)

Hell, I remember reading an interview with one of the people who worked on the original Jedi Knight and he talked about how much time it took to hand animate all the animations...and that was only Jedi Knight!

Another possibility is that they could simply have bought in some basic files of motion capture from somewhere, and simply tweaked them to suit their needs. Besides, from what I understand, Softimage XSI is very good for animation work, and that's what they use. I imagine it's not too difficult to simply build up a 'library' of motions from a variety of sources.

There are mocap files available for download at some 3d related sites... 3ds max had a few examples...

Most home users can't afford good mocap gear or simply it's not worth it cuz thay can get it somewhere else... i'd imagine gamming studios either have home equipment and stunts or they resort to another company just like they resorted to another company to do the pre rendered scenes.

Originally posted by Souljah

No I really dont think so, because if you look at the acrobatics they are too human like to have been done by the designers on their own.....and these games almost always have motion capture

I think that is a credit to the animators. They probably do use reference clips to help them do it, but that does not mean that they were motion-captured. Besides, when you look at the "moves" entries in the datapad, in the slowmo-ish display, I think they look decidedly un-humanlike. They are good, but they still look quite animated.

Jedi Outcast used motion capture...it's mentioned in an interview on the official site, and these are the people who did the motion capture. Remember that Lucasarts is part of the Lucas group of companies and has access to things like this.

Jedi Academy has twice as many moves as Jedi Outcast...seems safe to say that they would've used motion capture for the new moves which involve much movement (lots of flipping and twirling for example).

Archived