Home

small annoyances

Peregrine

Is anyone else slightly annoyed by some of the small things that could have easily been fixed? For example, try using a saber staff and activating it then deactivating it. See the saber move through the character like it should be cutting him/her in half? This could easily have been fixed by changing that little deactivation twirl animation. Even changing it to a non-moving deactivation would have been better IMO. There are several other times when it seems that your own lightsaber should be killing you because of some of the animations. Granted, these are small things that don't really affect gameplay, but seeing something like that, especially something that could be SO easily fixed, makes it feel sloppy and unpolished. The dual saber disactivation doesn't look like it should kill you, but it also just feels wrong somehow. They could have put forth just a little more effort and made that animation as cool as the single saber deactivation. In some of the dual saber animations, like running, it looks like they used the single saber JK2 animations and just glued another lightsasber to the left hand. It doesn't look bad necessarily but it doesn't look quite right either. These are just a couple examples of some of the small things that immediately bugged me when I saw them. Did anyone else notice these things and does anyone else think that they could/should have been fixed? Don't flame me or anything, I still think the gameplay rocks and I'll still get the game when it comes out, but these things make me wonder what else might be a bit unpolished in the game.

I completely agree. The dual saber walk just doesn't feel right because it's a single saber walk. What we see with this demo (and it's probably the same thing in the real game) lacks some final polishing.

The main clipping I've seen are :

-Saberstaff handle that goes into walls

-Lekkus (t'wilek tentacles) that go inside the wall in the intro sequence of tatooine mission

-Dual saber + long jump = left saber through your throat

Any possibility a patch can fix those ?

ebelleudy

The problem is that these 'clipping' issues are inherent to the Q3 engine. They were a lot worse in JO, and in other Q3 games. Raven have worked hard to try and resolve these clipping issues (particularly with the ragdoll skeleton deformation), but as pointed out, they have not been totally fixed. I'm really not sure that it can be fixed 100%.

As for saber deactivation and the like...yes, they could have had a simpler animation to try and avoid some of these issues, but as pointed out, each small issue like this requires a bit more time, and maybe they simply ran out of time...

Maybe this minor stuff could be addressed in a patch...

C'mon guyz... get a life will ya?

Yeah I agree things should be as flawless as possible... but in the heat of an MP battle I'm so definetly NOT gonna be paying attention to that.

JO's staff is one thing... it clearly clipped through the character. But these flaws are so subtle that only those who are looking at the anims themselves are gonna notice.

Yeah sure... I can spot tons of tiny flaws. I can even mention some staff movements where the torso rotates over 90 degrees from the hips... plastic man? elastic skeleton? no skeleton? it's surelly not correct but it's so bloody fast that I just happened to notice it on slow death cam.

Unrelealistic... yeah maybe...annoying.. not really. I'd rather focus my attention in creating new character models than fixing those animations bugs... oh... and mind you... sometimes..it's not THAT easy... people take 3d classes you know, oir take time to understand it. And If you think modeling is hard.. try animation. If you can get something fast that doesn't look like the 60's robot dance at the disco then i'll eat my hat.

I agree as far as some of these saberon/off animations , it seems like laziness ( I know i know they work hard...but still). Also, anyone notice the lightstaff running animation? My friend pointed out to me that the feet are pointed inwards...talk about tommy pickles :) Or pigeon toed or bolegged or one of those :)

Archived