Home

JO mod for JA?

Starfire13

I have no idea if this is illegal, so don't flame me if it is.

I was thinking, since JO and JA are built on the same engine, would it be possible to create a mod to play the JO missions in JA, using the new saber stances and stuff?

I would think that it would be possible to create a mod to do this, once the full game came out.

I guess so he can use the Dual Sabers & Saber Staff in JK2.

I don't know if LA would allow this, could go either way I guess. They probably wouldn't like it if JA stuff was ported to JK2 though.

I do think it would be cool to port Jedi Master, CTY and Holocron FFA to JA (since according to Raven those won't be included in the base game).

Originally posted by Kurgan

I don't know if LA would allow this, could go either way I guess. They probably wouldn't like it if JA stuff was ported to JK2 though.

Wasn't there some legal limitations about using MOTS resources in mods for JK, or soemthing to that effect? I remember there was some sort of issue...

Originally posted by Stafire13

I wasn't thinking so much of importing the new moves into JO, but rather of importing the JO maps into JA.

I would think it would be easier to get a few maps to work, rather than modify the saber-fighting code in JO.

The physical SP maps from JO might load into JA...but I imagine there would be horrendous problems with all the scripted events. I don't think you would be able to play JO in the JA engine without serious modification - and as there is no SP SDK, it would be a nightmare trying to get it to work.

In a way, it's a shame JA isn't an expansion for JO...because with some expansions at least, they update some of the core materials for the base game engine. I'm thinking of the improvements that are in Legends of Aranna, for example, that can be used for the original Dungeon Siege...or the updated models and skins that came with Blue Shift, that altered the original Half-Life.

I'm glad JA isn't simply an expansion, though. ;)

The legal issues would depend on how the mod was created. If the mod allowed you to download JO content without purchasing the game, it would be the same as a warez version of JO. However, if it were a utility that converted JO files, something that required you to own the original game, that would be acceptable.

Archived