Home

*shakes fist at LF*

Nitro

Oh by the way,.. while you were away, we had you banned.

Surprise!

Yeah, it seems the LF server is developing AI and choosing to ban certain users at random for no good reason.

And I think we all know where this will eventually lead...

"Open the pod bay doors HAL."

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."

Worked for me, but copy & paste:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/Hal/foreword/foreword1.html

Actually, Clarke has always maintained that HAL stood for "Heuristic ALgorithmic."

I mean, why not... he didn't have any problems using Pan Am and the other companies... although, on second thought, maybe IBM wouldn't want to associated with a psychotic, homicidal super computer... ;)

Anyway, the whole story's there if you can get the link to work.

It wasn't homicidal... It just had conflicting orders, and decided that completing the mission was more important.

If you didn't figure that out on your own, then watch the terrible sequel... 2010: The Year We Make John Lithgow Scream Like A Girl While Repelling Down A Giant Dildo-Shaped Space Ship.

Originally posted by Nitro

It wasn't homicidal... It just had conflicting orders, and decided that completing the mission was more important.

Yeah,.. I know all that. I'm a big A. C. Clarke fan, and I have read most of his books (and all of the 2001 series ones multiple times) and have seen that rather poor excuse for a sequel (also more times than I would ever care to admit.)

But when the first movie was released there was no real explanation for HAL's behavior,.. in fact it was always a bit of a mystery (it's a little bit clearer in the book)

But still, IBM might be a wee bit hesitant to put want to be associated with a product that kills (and tries to kill) all the people around it, for whatever reasons.

Oh, and Nute... in 2010 he wrote there was still a Soviet Union, which didn't even make it to 2001.

Archived