Home

Time to ditch the saber system.

cylonwwiiol

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the saber combat is damn good the way it is now -- at least in SP. Needs some tweaks here and there, but I'm generally impressed with how they handled the new saber stances, though I wish there were more viriety in styles, stances, and acrobatics. But as it stands, the current system is by no means a cause to totally absolve it.

Originally posted by cylonwwiiol

Hack n slash has to go.Need defencive moves and better attack options,maybe game pad support to do this?

What do you guys think?

I couldn't agree more with you. When an attack swing is being made there should be an actual defence swing to counter it and not a saber wall in ready stance on which you can't even depend since you will never know when your defence will fail!

Emon you just have no clue. That is not what most that want that are talking about. Ever played Enter the Matrix? It is not a great game looking at everything however the melee Kung Fu combat system is better then any melee system in every beat em up Ive ever seen and it plays as easy as it can get with an unbelievable amount of possible move combinations. When you press the block key your character automatically performs a correct countermove to an attack move without you doing much about that. This is what I want to see for saber combat or sword combat in general. This way we could get rid of the less then deadly sabers as well since the lucky hit scoring would be at an end. And while Im at it get rid of the red stance this one is SOOO pathetic an unlogic!

When an attack swing is being made there should be an actual defence swing to counter it

And while Im at it get rid of the red stance this one is SOOO pathetic an unlogic

You DO know that when red stance strikes a saber swing it knocks the player off balance leaving them open to counter. :rolleyes:

Also, This game is only hack and slash if you want it to be, I don't do it and I'm winning plenty, IMO the saber system is fine as it is and there's absolutely constructive evidence that it needs to be changed.

Also there are plenty of attacks, 3 different katas for each stance in single, 2 for the other 2 sabers = 5 Katas, Special move for each stance of the single saber (dfa, lunge etc.), Butterfly with Staff, the thingy whcih you use the same procedure as lunge to do and it swing it round you, Roll Stab and kicking with Staff not to mention the arobics which help you dodge, evade and outsmart your enemy. All these attacknig moves can also be used to counter attacking moves as well so don't give me there isn't enough depth in the saber combat :rolleyes:

.... 'n' that's jsut NF sabs. :rolleyes:

Here's the problem with Jedi Knight multiplayer (perhaps virtually all multiplayer games): all too frequently, latency has as much impact on success as talent/skill.

I agree a manual block/defense system would be a welcome addition, but by no means should it replace a basic passive/automatic defense. Ultimately that would lead simply to the players with the lowest ping (unless they were incredibly horrible) trumping everyone else.

I also agree that the context-sensitive moves in "Enter the Matrix" were well done, and may have been a nice alternative to our current system in Outcast/Academy. Though clearly there are many who prefer the more "Mortal Kombat" style of memorizing button sequences.

As for the stances and damage scale... most of it defies logic (assuming you attribute any sort of logic at all to an imaginary sword made of light and George Lucas' imagination). It's always failed to make any sense to me how a slow-moving attack is not only more damaging but harder to defend against than a fast one. Ironically, a saber held still (not fast at all) does little to no damage.

Specific to Academy, one matter that's starting to concern me is the possible imbalance between dual and single sabers. No, I'm not trying to suggest a patch or that something needs nerfing, however it does seem a little unfair that dual sabers get no more impact on their Force meter for performing combo moves than a single saber user. Personally I don't think a blue lunge should drain as much Force "juice" as a dual twirl. I'd argue that two sabers should = twice as much damage/area of attack, but shouldn't they also cost nearly twice as much to operate?

That's just my two cents.

As for the stances and damage scale... most of it defies logic (assuming you attribute any sort of logic at all to an imaginary sword made of light and George Lucas' imagination). It's always failed to make any sense to me how a slow-moving attack is not only more damaging but harder to defend against than a fast one. Ironically, a saber held still (not fast at all) does little to no damage.

Ah yes, but it's a trade off for fun, I would rather have this magical thing 'Fun' than someone's silly view of movie damage.

I also agree that the context-sensitive moves in "Enter the Matrix" were well done, and may have been a nice alternative to our current system in Outcast/Academy.

I was personally disappointed in Enter the Matrix on the whole, sure i liked the combat but it wasn't exactly a classic or memorable.

I agree a manual block/defense system would be a welcome addition, but by no means should it replace a basic passive/automatic defense. Ultimately that would lead simply to the players with the lowest ping (unless they were incredibly horrible) trumping everyone else.

Heh, I'm working backwards here. Pre-JK2 i was hoping for a blocking button, it would work quite well and probably still would but our friends, 56kers, would have no cahnce at all with the blocking - It would be totally lag dependant and in the end not fun. Many people forget about fun for 'Graphics' (so meaningless to me) and other things, I want most people to have the best experience they cna have, maybe inthe future when technology has improved we will be able to have a block button which fuctions well.

At the moment i'm very happy with JA :)

Ah yes, but it's a trade off for fun, I would rather have this magical thing 'Fun' than someone's silly view of movie damage.

I'd say they're only mutually exclusive to someone with a very limited imagination. Just off the top of my head, why couldn't speed be more dangerous and simply drain more points from the Force meter? Would that truly be any less fun?

I was personally disappointed in Enter the Matrix on the whole, sure i liked the combat but it wasn't exactly a classic or memorable.

I'd say the same for the movie "Reloaded."

'Graphics' (so meaningless to me)

Um, isn't that ultimately all Academy is... better eye candy? Unless you were inexplicably infatuated with the SP story. I won't give away any spoilers, but that finale would have been about as fitting in a EverQuest/Dungeons & Dragons themed game.

Siege is a welcome addition, though not quite as well-thought out as other games with a similar play mode, not to mention it's quite limited with only three default maps. And Power-Duel? Big woop.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like and enjoy Academy (and think overall it's a definite improvement over Outcast). I'm just not ashamed to admit it's due in no small part to the graphic enhancements. ;)

I agree with KaiaSowapit. Again, it's all about targeting the general audience, and most people are happy with this overall. And by "most people" I don't mean you and your two friends, I mean most of the people that buy the game. It's not a perfect system, but it's very nice, and faithful to the original Jedi Knight, as are many other features in the game. I'm not sure you can pick one of the alternate systems and not have other downsides.

Also, Siege is pretty cool, and has a lot of potential for mappers and modders. It didn't seem much different than RtCW's to me, except that some of the objectives were repetitive. I couldn't expect something like Enemy Territory, because Siege would have been in development long before ET came out. We're able to add NPCs and vehicles, something most other games don't let you have in MP, mappers are going to do some crazy stuff with this!

And about Power Duel, it's very fun, but it is kind of whoop dee doo. I could have gone for Jedi Master, it might have taken off more in the newer levels. Holocron can bite me, that sucked.

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

I'd say the same for the movie "Reloaded."

Exactly, that movie wasn't great either imo.

Um, isn't that ultimately all Academy is... better eye candy? Unless you were inexplicably infatuated with the SP story. I won't give away any spoilers, but that finale would have been about as fitting in a EverQuest/Dungeons & Dragons themed game.

Well that contradicts itself, Most people complaini t's too similar yet if it had better eye candy it would disguise the similarities therefore JA is not about eye candy.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like and enjoy Academy (and think overall it's a definite improvement over Outcast). I'm just not ashamed to admit it's due in no small part to the graphic enhancements. ;)

:/ The graphics are the same.... There are hardly any enhacements :confused:

Also, I just wish they had included a tag team duel. I don't want any of your "that's what tffa is" but an actual duel with 2 players on each side, could be interesting imo ;)

BTW i'm not disagreeing with you on this or setting out to do so, it's just that I feel too many people are too ready to start banging on about this and that, that I might as well answer you too even though you aren't "PATCH TEH GAME RAVEN, YOU SUXX0Rz" :p

And while Im at it get rid of the red stance this one is SOOO pathetic an unlogic!

I really disagree. If you played JO in the multiplayer that was the only stance being used because of the instant kill. Now with JA it is still a good style because it can break through the tough defenses that the duel and saberstaff styles present to the people who still use the single saber. Also wouldn't that being the only other logical style left for the single saber. You have a really fast but weak style, the medium, wouldn't the next logial step to have a slow and powerful one.

KaiaSowapit I think the only explanation that is anywhere close to normal logic would be that the jedi centrates more when he uses a slower attack. If he did a really quick swing he couldn't focus as much on it because there wasn't as much time. But as you said logic isn't exactly high on Georges' list of things to consider. That's just my thinking.

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

You DO know that when red stance strikes a saber swing it knocks the player off balance leaving them open to counter. :rolleyes:

And you DO know that this is utter crap logic wise a "slow" swing more powerful then a fast? :rolleyes:

Also, This game is only hack and slash if you want it to be, I don't do it and I'm winning plenty, IMO the saber system is fine as it is and there's absolutely constructive evidence that it needs to be changed.

This saber system has absolutely nothing to do with swordplay of any kind!

ramble ramble ramble...

I know all of this so what? As long as my blade is not moving to counter attack moves this is not a representation of sword combat I m still waiting for the game that gets that done as I see it this is far from being impossible!

Originally posted by Neo61015

You have a really fast but weak style, the medium, wouldn't the next logial step to have a slow and powerful one.

No??? :rolleyes: Ask yourself one question how can a slow swing be powerful at ALL?????????????!!!!!!!!!! Speed comes with power not the other way around!!!!!!!

I have stated many times before that I think that there should be a block meter, that acts just like your sheilds. It takes damage until it's drained, and then the next strike will get through, either directly hitting you, or by knocking your saber so hard, you get hit also. This way, you have that cool sword-fighting blocking like Obi-Wan vs Maul, then you get a hit in. It's just cooler to watch. If I wanted to simply beat the game. I would just lightning every enemy, and waltz on by. I don't do that b/c it's not fun. I like to duel the cultists/reborn. Thats one of the reasons that JO, and JA are so weak. The game is very easy and doesn't emphasize any sort of tatic are care about what and when you attack.

I've always been a fan of these games being Jedi simulators, not uber-wicked MP experiences where Red Stance rules. Red stance, from a movie license standpoint is just completely wrong. It's as if you've got a 2 ton sword! The lightsaber is weightless! In the galaxyFFA I'm sure there are broadswords, or vibroblades out there that would take that kind of strain to swing, but lightsabers are a unique weapon in that they are weightless. Fundamentally lightsabers are fast weapons. -That's the their advantage. Red stance is just simply wrong!

As for blaster blocking, I think that you should block most shots as you like you do now, but if you want it to go back the the shooter, you have to hit a button at the moment of impact. Also, since just about every enemy in JO, and JA is completely worthless, they should have made it so that they actualy do surround you, so that you are not the wall of blaster deflection that you are now. This way the stormtroopers might actually pose a threat in their numbers. Hell, that's what the empire was all about. -Numbers. Tie fighters are small, unshielded, weak, flying gus. They used their numbers to overwhelm. Same thing with storm troopers. They used numbers. And a bit of tactics. In JO/JA you are unstoppable, and no number of stormtroopers (as the AI stands now), can even come close to posing a threat.b

I suggest that you all take a look at the upcoming Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon game that's coming out. They may have nailed down how the melee combat blocking should be done. It's looks like you have a block or counter button, but instead of putting up a wall of defence, you character actually performes the appropriate blocking manuver for what ever attack is coming in. I would like to see that in future JK games. Well have to wait and see what they are able to pull off though. I agree though, in Enter the Matrix that whole defense button performing the appropriate counter move is a good idea.

Personally I think MP is restraining SP. In order to make a great SP Star Wars Jedi game, they would have to add things like the manual blocking or, blocking meter, etc. and not have them in MP b/c of lag. The result of such additions would be that SP, and MP would play way to differently. Of course we can't have that, so Raven not only has to attempt to balance the MP which no one ever stops bitching about (rightly so in some cases), and balance SP so that it's not a stark contrast to MP.

I like SP a lot more than MP, but there are plently of people out there who feel the opposite, and they deserve to have a game made as such. That's one reason why this game is so hard to make. In reality though, I think that the attempt to provide a deep MP experience in JO/JA is hindering the SP experience.

Personally, I say f**k MP and make the game that the JK series is supposed to be. -A StarWars game where you get to play as a Jedi. Right now, it's Quake III with pretty melee weapons. I know not everyone shares that opinion. That's just mine. I also think that the JK series deserves a MP compliment, but it seems to be a too great a cost of the real game.

Well that contradicts itself, Most people complaini t's too similar yet if it had better eye candy it would disguise the similarities therefore JA is not about eye candy.

???

:/ The graphics are the same.... There are hardly any enhacements

I begs to differ brother. My jaw nearly dropped when I saw my own footprints in the snow of Hoth. Or when I witnessed one of the various Reborn cronies scowling over my corpse at Vader's castle while visible breath appeared from his mouth. Subtle perhaps, but quite immersive and impressive.

A much more notable improvement is in the depth, detail and sheer scale of most of the MP maps. Honestly, can ffa_bespin hold a candle to the likes of the Tatooine inspired maps? Heck, if nothing else, the skies MOVE.

I think the only explanation that is anywhere close to normal logic would be that the jedi centrates more when he uses a slower attack. If he did a really quick swing he couldn't focus as much on it because there wasn't as much time.

So if I wack you over the head with a baseball bat, will it hurt any less if I don't concentrate? :p Either way, that still doesn't explain why it would be harder for you to avoid if I swung it really really slow opposed to really really fast.

Personally I think MP is restraining SP.

Respectfully, I'd suggest just the opposite. The problem, as I see it, is too many players get far too accustomed to being "uber Jedi gods" after playing SP (which with the current mindset of how SP should progress makes sense - you wouldn't be able to beat the increasingly amped-up health'd bosses or endless supply of mindless toadies if they didn't make you uber). The drawback to this is many players have a cow when they stumble into MP and can't have every conceivable Force power at max levels. Essentially, spoiled children. This attitude makes it ridiculously challenging to balance a game where everyone (excluding reflexes and skill) should be equal.

Personally, I say f**k MP and make the game that the JK series is supposed to be.

A game I spend nearly $50 on and beat over the course of a weekend? Thanks, but no thanks. I like SP, but MP is where I get my money's worth. I want replay value. (And no, running through the exact same game one more time with a different player model doesn't count.)

I begs to differ brother. My jaw nearly dropped when I saw my own footprints in the snow of Hoth. Or when I witnessed one of the various Reborn cronies scowling over my corpse at Vader's castle while visible breath appeared from his mouth. Subtle perhaps, but quite immersive and impressive.
MiMy jaw didn't drop, Footprints are well, neeed in hoth, i would be expecting it. Dunno what you mean bout the reborn though :/

Also, the breathing is osmething i have seen in many games, it's cool yeah but well... it's still the same engine and same graphics for models, guns, the sabers and the textures.

A much more notable improvement is in the depth, detail and sheer scale of most of the MP maps. Honestly, can ffa_bespin hold a candle to the likes of the Tatooine inspired maps? Heck, if nothing else, the skies MOVE.

Well that's level design, not eye candy. Also the mp maps (ffa, duel and ctf) were NOT designed by Raven. Threewave software done them, LA hired them i believe to save time for Raven, I must admit i'm glad about it. :) (has memories of the guy in jk2 forums who kept whining aobtu the sky not moving :D)

Level design = not eye candy :p

And you DO know that this is utter crap logic wise a "slow" swing more powerful then a fast?

I couldn't care less, it makes it more fun and it does what you wanted yet you sitll hate it.

Also, I think of it as throwing a stone, the stone goes further the longer the wind up and can go faster, The Saber should go faster and longer then, It goes further yes but not faster no, coudl imagine how unbalanced the game would be with a great lnog wind up with has a really fast strike and does tons of damage?.

A possible defence for this unlogical imaginary weapons physics is that it cuts for longer and goes deeper into the person than lgiht or medium does.

This saber system has absolutely nothing to do with swordplay of any kind!

So? We're talking about sabers here, not swords :p

No??? Ask yourself one question how can a slow swing be powerful at ALL?????????????!!!!!!!!!!QUOTE]

It can be powerful because it makes a fun game and BALANCES it. Why woudl there be any other stances if we had a fast swing and lots of power? there'd be no point. Don't waste Raven's time.

this is not a representation of sword combat

Yep, it's gameplay

A game I spend nearly $50 on and beat over the course of a weekend? Thanks, but no thanks. I like SP, but MP is where I get my money's worth. I want replay value. (And no, running through the exact same game one more time with a different player model doesn't count.)

Ditto, MP is where the long lasting part is not sp, sure it has branching endings... complete it twice :rolleyes:

Fundamentally lightsabers are fast weapons. -That's the their advantage. Red stance is just simply wrong!

I do get your point and so in thinking of it your right the red stance is wrong. Now although it is wrong I still don't think it should be taken out because it still adds more depth to the saber system.

Also a block button would be a definite improvement to the current way that JK games do the saber fighting. That and some of the balance issues between all the stances. Going back to the thread topic I don't think totally removing the current system is a good thing if the needed improvements are made then there would be no reason for it to be compeletly overhauled in the next game.

:/ The graphics are the same.... There are hardly any enhacements :confused:

On the contrary.

• Higher resolution textures
  • Higher resolution and much more detailed lightmaps
  • Per-pixel dynamic lighting
  • Per-pixel dynamic glow, even beats out Splinter Cell
  • Per-pixel distortion effects, seen on Push/Pull
  • Much larger worlds with far more detail, they look far less plain and cartoony
  • Lighting doesn't look like **** in MP
  • Various artistic details such as footprints and other design touches

They could have done some insane lighting effects with Q3Map2, but then you'd be compromising performance on middle to low end systems, which is not an option for many developers. I myself and rather impressed with what Raven has done to the engine, most notable are the per-pixel shaders and lighting. OpenGL extensions aren't standardized for that kind of advanced stuff, and I congradulate Raven for pulling it off, making it look good and run fast.

Addendum: The problem on ATI cards is because ATI ****s up their drivers every other release, which is why some people have dynamic glow working perfectly, going extremely fast, and on others' it's a slow, buggy crawl.

Edit: Oh, and about the gameplay, yeah, some of it's illogical, but it's still fun, right? Maybe you think there are imbalances, but want to wait a little? It seems ridiculous to me to get all worked up over a game, and go around bashing or insulting it, only two weeks after release. Sure, post release patches may not be the greatest solution, but complaining about it isn't going to help. If you want to help out, I suggest you forward your problems, arguments and support for the arguments to the bug thread.

The thing that has always bothered me about the JK series' dueling is the "joust" factor. The passive defense is unreliable enough that people would rather keep their distance and move back in briefly to swing. Obviously this was worse in JK1 where people would basically just constantly try to hit eachother with the long swing, but as much as JO/JA's combat system is improved from that the same basic tactic is still there. Whether or not that's fun depends entirely on the player of course, but I wish they had come up with a system that's more fast paced and allows people to exchange swings at close range instead of the jousting approach. I guess this sort of thing is inevitable as long as the JK series plays like an FPS, but I would really like to see an active blocking system tried because it could add an interesting new element to the gameplay.

Higher resolution textures - Woopeededoo

Higher resolution and much more detailed lightmaps - K

Per-pixel dynamic lighting - look ok, not exactly a must have

Per-pixel dynamic glow, even beats out Splinter Cell - That's so dodgy it isn't worth having in this game

Per-pixel distortion effects, seen on Push/Pull - Looks strange, since when does force push/pull make a matter distortation. Also, on my firneds bad machine (overclocked to 700 mhz) it slows down his fps when he does it... that's bad for an effect which is not exactly great.

Much larger worlds with far more detail, they look far less plain and cartoony - That's all level design, more detail is level design :p Only the textures come into the eye candy dept.

Lighting doesn't look like **** in MP - Agreed

Various artistic details such as footprints and other design touches - Pfff, seen it all before

Just my opinion :p They've made jsut enough changes so it isn't EXACTLY like Jk2. :p

but I wish they had come up with a system that's more fast paced and allows people to exchange swings at close range instead of the jousting approach. I guess this sort of thing is inevitable as long as the JK series plays like an FPS, but I would really like to see an active blocking system tried because it could add an interesting new element to the gameplay.

Obi wan kinda tried that, dunno if it failed because of that but in the beta, it was terrible :/

I couldn't care less, it makes it more fun and it does what you wanted yet you sitll hate it.

Also, I think of it as throwing a stone, the stone goes further the longer the wind up and can go faster, The Saber should go faster and longer then, It goes further yes but not faster no, coudl imagine how unbalanced the game would be with a great lnog wind up with has a really fast strike and does tons of damage?.

A possible defence for this unlogical imaginary weapons physics is that it cuts for longer and goes deeper into the person than lgiht or medium does.

What are you talking about it does what I want? I want it out remember? You may think of it what you want but the fact is that it is physical BS and it was never ever portrayed like that in any of the movies! A lightsaber cuts of limbs if it hits them. It kills if one is being stabbed with it or if it hits something vital! All that yellow, blue stuff is bull as well. Fact is if there was real blocking and parrys there would be no need for saber stances that do different damage!!! Saber stances should vary by style not by speed or damage!!

So? We're talking about sabers here, not swords :p

Should I comment this? :rolleyes:

Yep, it's gameplay

It's bad, flawed, hilarious, unlogic gameplay!

Originally posted by Zek

The thing that has always bothered me about the JK series' dueling is the "joust" factor. The passive defense is unreliable enough that people would rather keep their distance and move back in briefly to swing. Obviously this was worse in JK1 where people would basically just constantly try to hit eachother with the long swing, but as much as JO/JA's combat system is improved from that the same basic tactic is still there. Whether or not that's fun depends entirely on the player of course, but I wish they had come up with a system that's more fast paced and allows people to exchange swings at close range instead of the jousting approach. I guess this sort of thing is inevitable as long as the JK series plays like an FPS, but I would really like to see an active blocking system tried because it could add an interesting new element to the gameplay.

I highly agree with that a "real" saber combat system would be much appreciated! Another problem is the running *COUGH :rolleyes: combat. There is no such thing like running saber or sword combat!!!

Originally posted by Emon

Edit: Oh, and about the gameplay, yeah, some of it's illogical, but it's still fun, right?

No I don't think so. That is the reason I don't play multi because I want to have a saber fight and not the thing I get!

Higher resolution textures - Woopeededoo

Higher resolution and much more detailed lightmaps - K

Per-pixel dynamic lighting - look ok, not exactly a must have

Per-pixel dynamic glow, even beats out Splinter Cell - That's so dodgy it isn't worth having in this game

Per-pixel distortion effects, seen on Push/Pull - Looks strange, since when does force push/pull make a matter distortation. Also, on my firneds bad machine (overclocked to 700 mhz) it slows down his fps when he does it... that's bad for an effect which is not exactly great.

Much larger worlds with far more detail, they look far less plain and cartoony - That's all level design, more detail is level design :p Only the textures come into the eye candy dept.

Lighting doesn't look like **** in MP - Agreed

Various artistic details such as footprints and other design touches - Pfff, seen it all before

Um, you didn't really back up your statements. You said it look just like JO, I told you why it wasn't. Footprints, seen that before, yes, not in JO. This was JO vs JA here, not JA vs every other new game on the market. JA's visual quality is a lot better than JO's, if you can't see it, you're blind.

Edit: Oh, and don't go saying it's bad for the effect, his computer just sucks. Since you don't know anything about graphics programming, I don't think you're in a position to speak.

A lot of the stuff that's done in JA's levels couldn't be done in JKII because of engine limitations. (Size of levels for instance...terrain as well)

That's all level design, more detail is level design :) Only the textures come into the eye candy dept.

I got news for you buddy... detail IS eye candy... so to a degree is scale. If it isn't inherently critical to the functionality of gameplay, it is by definition "eye candy." They just as easily could have slapped together a large box for us to play in with a few random obstacles to hide behind and called it a "map."

And as for whether Raven, Threewave or Ronald McDonald & Humpty Dumpty designed the maps... I really don't care. I'm just glad someone did with flair and aesthetic sense.

The JK2/JA melee combat systems (appear to me to be) based on those found in the Bushido Blade games.

There isn't a "block key" in those games but you counter a horizontal swing with a vertical swing, and vice versa. You either dodge an attack, or parry it and attack with another attack.

The acrobatics are there primarily to dodge and psyche out the enemy in battle. Although granted BB is a one on one combat game, this game also features group battles and much more gun play.

They've added a LOT more moves since JK2, I don't see how this isn't an improvement.

Gamepad support is already in the game (joysticks), although I've heard some say it could be better. Yet with the exception of the console version(s) to come, the vast majority of players use keyboard+mouse in this game, as they do for other FPS pc games, so its probably not a priority for Raven or LA.

Archived