Home

SP running is like ice skating?

CWV__Odedge_

Well...Severance: Blade of Darkness also had a fatigue meter - so if you tried too many swings with that hefty sword, you had to rest for a bit.

omg ive finally seen one person who has played that besides me now:D

oh and dont forget gta3 if u sprint too long u get tired for about 3 seconds lol

I know what the original poster is referring to.

Pretty much those of you who spent a lot of time in JK2 SP then ventured into MP after playing SP quite a bit have trouble noticing the "skate effect".

Those of us who (like myself) never, ever even touched JK2 SP, and then after over a year straight of MP tried it for the first time noticed this right away.

It's not so much a "skate effect" as it is a much less responsive play control system.

JK2 MP had ultra crisp "turn on a dime" play control, but in single player it was much more "floaty".

A lot of us have made mention of "the nerfed roll in Jedi Academy".

If you notice, the roll in JA MP is now like JK2 SP roll.

In JK2 MP (1.04) you could start a forward roll, and half way through it, pull back to halt your forward momentum.

This could not be done in JK2 SP, and now it's been removed from JA MP.

This is just a small example of what we mean by you had much more crisp control over your player in JK2 MP than you do in JA MP.

The overall camera movement in JA is much slower as well now too (like JK2 SP).

I can actually snap my mouse and change directions faster than the third person camera can (I use a mouse sensitivity of 50) keep up.

This causes a "pan and jerk" effect in JA MP (and JK2 SP).

Even with that high sensitivity, the JK2 MP camera would trace direction and movements flawlessly.

I'm not bashing the new (old SP JK2 actually) physics system so no need for anyone to rush to it's defense, I'm simply saying there is a huge difference, especially in the third person chase camera and the responsiveness of the play control.

Like I said as well, those of you who played JK2 SP quite a bit got used to the way it felt, so the differences are not going to be obvious.

Those of us who never touched SP and only played MP for over a year can't help but notice them.

Originally posted by StormHammer

Well...Severance: Blade of Darkness also had a fatigue meter - so if you tried too many swings with that hefty sword, you had to rest for a bit.

More recently, Enemy Territory has a fatigue meter as well. So if you try bunny-hopping all over the level to get somewhere faster...the fatigue meter will kick in until you have to resort to normal running. I think in this kind of MP context, a fatigue meter is more important if it can deal with bunny-hoppers.

Bunny-hopping in JA MP is dead easy, with no cost to your Force mana, and in fact, you can turn on speed and bunny hop to move radically faster, especially when going downhill, or off a slight rise.

But I digress. I also have not had any problems running around in SP.

/off topic for a second

True it does have a meter, but to be honest, ask any RTCW: ET vet, the meter is more for "straight on sprints" and has little effect on "bunny hopping" if you know what to do.

Perfect example:

On Gold rush I can sprint out of the initial axis spawn point (the little house) and my meter will be depleted before I ever get outside...

However, even with a depleted stamina bar, I can build enough speed by strafe jumping that I can actually (if it's parked at the first barrier) hop up onto and damn near over the tank.

Check out this RTCW: ET trick jump video, there are two very good examples of what I am referring to.

(avi format)

http://www.student.ntnu.no/~oddrune/etmoves2.avi

or in smaller zip format

http://www.student.ntnu.no/~oddrune/etmoves2.zip

it's 48 megs, and I know you are on dial up, but if you like RTCW: ET, it's worth it, trust me.

One thing I've noted is that JA SP seems to be more responsive than JKII SP...it's definitely different. For over a year I've been working on a SP level for JKII, and since JA is such an improvement in what can be done in levels, I had no doubt I'd switch to JA. Since I'd been working on it so long, I knew the first part of the first level like the back of my hand, if you know what I mean. Well, I loaded up that first level in JA SP, and it feels different...it doesn't feel like JKII. The animations seem better controlled, so that they don't hinder control as much as JKII SP (which it didn't really do, so it's not easy to really pin point what's different, but that seems to best describe how it seemed different).

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

Check out this RTCW: ET trick jump video, there are two very good examples of what I am referring to.

(avi format)

http://www.student.ntnu.no/~oddrune/etmoves2.avi

or in smaller zip format

http://www.student.ntnu.no/~oddrune/etmoves2.zip

it's 48 megs, and I know you are on dial up, but if you like RTCW: ET, it's worth it, trust me.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

And no need to worry about dial-up any more...I got beautiful broadband over a month ago. :D

Thank you FK | unnamed...

You understand what I am talking about!!! The more I think about, the more I am beleiving that there is no tweak. I guess that is the way they programmed it. But if someone in Lucas Arts or Raven ever reads this, why have different player movements in SP or MP?

I am mainly playing Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield now. The single player and multiplayer movement is the same. There is no adjustment needed to switch between modes. That is the only way to go....

OH well...

May the force be with the programmers!

Archived