Home

Governor Ahhh-nold!

Nitro

the landmine ban is pointless anyhow. all the countries that would carelessly use landmines and leave them around were kids get blown up so stupid people can get all concerned arent' going to follow the treaties anyhow and the countries that are responsible, like the US, and clean up after themselves or develop landmines that disable themselves after a set amount of time are denying themselves a wonderful defensive tool

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nute Gunray

the landmine ban is pointless anyhow. all the countries that would carelessly use landmines and leave them around were kids get blown up so stupid people can get all concerned arent' going to follow the treaties anyhow and the countries that are responsible, like the US, and clean up after themselves or develop landmines that disable themselves after a set amount of time are denying themselves a wonderful defensive tool

yeah thats more or less what I was thinking......

countires that don't bother to feed people won't care if they lay landmines and leave em around for other people to find on accident

Originally posted by Jem

yeah, that's why somebody else has to do the dirty work... it sucks but someone has to do it.

It's funny how that responsibility usually falls on the United States. It sucks but someone has to do it, and that someone is the United States military. Maybe we should leave to every other country in the world for once, that way it will probably never get done.

That's not true. In this case (demining) lots of countries are involved. Canada plays a key role, in Europe (especially in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Republika Srpska), Central Asia and Africa. There's something called the Canadian Mine Action Program (CMAP).

US Military are never on their own in these kind of actions, they play a big role, but are never on their own. You are refering to Iraq, which has nothing to do with the current subject.

Here's a case were America had nothing to do in "cleaning up a mess":

Last year, when Ivory Cost was in chaos and crisis due to a failed putsch the American media almost completely ignore it. Eventually French troops arrived and restored stability in the country.

Originally posted by Jem

That's not true. In this case (demining) lots of countries are involved. Canada plays a key role, in Europe (especially in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Republika Srpska), Central Asia and Africa. There's something called the Canadian Mine Action Program (CMAP).

US Military are never on their own in these kind of actions, they play a big role, but are never on their own. You are refering to Iraq, which has nothing to do with the current subject.

Here's a case were America had nothing to do in "cleaning up a mess":

Last year, when Ivory Cost was in chaos and crisis due to a failed putsch the American media almost completely ignore it. Eventually French troops arrived and restored stability in the country.

I am referring to all kinds of Interbational messes, not just mining or demining or whatever. And Ok, one time the U.S. didn't send troops in, I'm glad we didn't, let someone else handle it for once. Personally, I'm tired of seing the U.S. take the lead role in matters like this, and then getting criticized anyway.

I may sound very isolationist, but I am not, I think this world does need someone to police it. And like the great Teddy Roosevelt, I believe that the U.S. should be that police force. I just want the world to be a little more greatful for what we do for it.

As for Iraq, we made that mess, and we have to clean it up. We went in there without U.N. approval, so I don't think we should have asked the U.N. for support after we were finished bombimg the hell out of that place. Actually, I am disappointed by the fact that so many people want to get our troops out of there right now. We can't do that, we just can't. We tore that country to pieces, we have to rebuild it. It's funny how the same people who want our troops out of there pronto, regardless of the condition we put Iraq in, are the same people who were so eager to invade Iraq earlier this year.

Last year, when Ivory Cost was in chaos and crisis due to a failed putsch the American media almost completely ignore it.

I remember Ivory Cost. All I saw of it, was a school full of kids were safely evacuated by French troops. I don't remember anything else...

As for Iraq, we made that mess, and we have to clean it up. We went in there without U.N. approval, so I don't think we should have asked the U.N.

I believe it was we went in without UN Approval because we would have never gotten UN Approval.

Originally posted by Commander 598

I remember Ivory Cost. All I saw of it, was a school full of kids were safely evacuated by French troops. I don't remember anything else...

Like I said, American media almost ignored it. There was a lot more to it. Two ethnic backgrounds were starting to decimate each other and a large amount of kids were used as soldiers. That's why you saw French troops evacuating a school.

It could have been another Rwanda Genocide just waiting to happen...

I believe it was we went in without UN Approval because we would have never gotten UN Approval.

Exactly, which is why we shouldn't ask for their support in rebuilding Iraq, it should be strictly up to the United States.

It could have been another Rwanda Genocide just waiting to happen...

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

Originally posted by Kylilin

Exactly, which is why we shouldn't ask for their support in rebuilding Iraq, it should be strictly up to the United States.

I think the U.N. are being really childish over this issue. They should help tidy up, because most of them have played their part in making the mess over the years. Countries like France and Russia sold arms to Iraq and then had the nerve to question America's motives for the war.

Originally posted by Kylilin

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

This is just proof that you know nothing of the Ivory Cost crisis.

I used the terme "Could Have" because it didn't happen. And it didn't happen because French troops arrived.

Anything that happened in Cote d'Ivoire should have been handled by the French. I'm sure they wouldn't POSSIBLY want to have to assist another genocide, like the one in Rwanda, and decided to put a stop to things when they were otherwise occupied. Besides, Cote d'Ivoire used to be French, so they might as well tidy up something of theirs.

There was no reason at all for the US to have anything to do with Cote d'Ivoire at all. Last year, we were busy with Bosnia, Afghanistan, the Philippines, and Iraq. When trouble got too out of hand in our old African 'colony,' Liberia, we sent in troops. Cote d'Ivoire was none of our concern.

Sometimes we're otherwise occupied and just have to ignore everyone saying we should have gotten involved in the _________ in ___________ and then condemned when we get involved in the _________ in _________ that everyone said we should have gotten involved in.

The US should have supported the Iraqi uprisings in 1992 and didn't! Boo!

The US should have stayed out of Iraq and not ousted the government in 2003 and we'll ignore the contradiction with our 1992 stance! Boo!

See how it works?

Archived