Home

A Question About The Jedi Farmers

Toxie

I was just reading up on Obi Wan's history in the database and I came across an interesting note about the washout jedis being to sent to farms to use their force powers for tending to sick crops and other things. Are there any stories about jedis like these breaking away from those farms, I just imagine about a million cases like that. I wanted to read more on this but I'm not sure what to search for in the database, any help?

Kenobi was a headstrong adolescent, who longed to become a Jedi. As is custom, when a hopeful achieves the age of 13, he must become a Padawan. Otherwise, he is too old to proceed in his training. Washouts are instead sent to the Agricultural Corps where their Force talents are directed to tending sick crops rather than protecting peace and justice.

A small snippet from Obi's bio at the database. I found some more info on the official forums too.

There hasn't really been any more written about this. It's called the Agricultural Corps, and the only references to it that I know of are in the Jedi Apprentice series of kids' novels.

http://www1.theforce.net/cuswe/search.asp?search=agricultural+corps&EandD=EyDn&no=10

Here's what I got from the official SW board.

Agricultural Corps...

You can find out more about the Jedi Agricultural Corps (AgriCorps) on wizards.com.

According to the Dark Side Sourcebook, High Prophet Jedgar from the Prophets of the Dark Side young adult novel was a Jedi hopeful chosen for the AgriCorps when he was 13, but he fled and eventually fell to the dark side.

One last little bit of info I got.

Under Luke Skywalker's new Jedi order they did drop that age limit didn't they? With people like Kyle Katarn and so many others beginning training in their 20's and older they seem to have pretty much proved the old council very wrong.

I believe the age limit was to minimize chances of students falling to the dark side by teaching them to control their dark emotions before they are old enough to forge attachments or accumulate grudges. It may also be to give them a complete "breeding"; the Old Order probably had countless little traditions and mannerisms, considering it's a very old and conservative group. It also taught its students everything they would possibly need to know.

The New Jedi Order is not like that. Luke Skywalker was only given the core teachings by Yoda and Obi-Wan (the Force, lightsabers and basic code of conduct). In order to get other necessary knowledge, he tries to attract veteran warriors who can contribute their own special knowledge (Corran is an ace pilot, Kyle is an infiltration operative). He is also is building his order from scratch, trying to adapt to a New Republic that is also recovering from a dark period.

Agricultural Corps

this vast body of Jedi trainees was part of the the Jedi Council's student development systems. Working in support of the Old Republic's Agricultural Aministration, the AgriCorps ostensibly provided a support system for newly settled planets. Those worlds which had need of agricultural improvement - primarily terraformed worlds, but also planets damaged by industrial misuse - could petition the Agricultural Corps for assistance in bringing plantlife to their environment. Underlying the goodwill of the AgriCorps was the belief that all Jedi padawans needed a way to learn about the nature of life and the balance it brought to the galaxy. The patience needed to nurture crops to grow in harsh environments was a direct paralle to the patience a Jedi Knight needed to discover peace in an unsettled situation. Despite these basic ideals, many students of the Force feared being placed in the AgriCorps, for such placement held the assumption that they lacked the ability to become full Jedi Knights.

- from CUSWE

Underlying the goodwill of the AgriCorps was the belief that all Jedi padawans needed a way to learn about the nature of life and the balance it brought to the galaxy. The patience needed to nurture crops to grow in harsh environments was a direct paralle to the patience a Jedi Knight needed to discover peace in an unsettled situation. Despite these basic ideals, many students of the Force feared being placed in the AgriCorps, for such placement held the assumption that they lacked the ability to become full Jedi Knights.

That's the thing that confused me the most, from Obi's bio they make it sound like that it, once you go to those farms you're done. Although from this little snippet, it sounds like this is just a small stop for paddys that haven't quite learned enough. This makes the agricorps placement sound somewhat temporary like it isn't totally the end. I have much more reading up to do on this.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Toxie

That's the thing that confused me the most, from Obi's bio they make it sound like that it, once you go to those farms you're done. Although from this little snippet, it sounds like this is just a small stop for paddys that haven't quite learned enough. This makes the agricorps placement sound somewhat temporary like it isn't totally the end. I have much more reading up to do on this.

Padawans that do not have the talent or inclanation to become Padawans are sent either to the ArgriCorps or the MedCorps, which are healers. Those who are not selected by Jedi Masters to become their padawans are sent to either of these organizations (most likely AgriCorps). In most cases, these individuals never become Jedi Knights. Obi-Wan is an exception.

Archived