Home

Milkshape Vs. Gmax

Aegis Runestone

Okay, I heard Milkshape is the best for making models for JA and JO. I've been trying to make a hilt for JA, but one thing is bothering me. First off, I've got only 31 days to use this program. Second, it can import .glm files.

If it did run out, then I have to use Gmax, how can you perform these same thins with Gmax? Making .glm files and importing them?

Also, can Gmax do just about everything you need to make a hilt, similarly to Milkshape?

Originally posted by Wudan

Milkshape is better, afaik, and it CAN import GLMs - GMax can't.

I know that already - if Milkshape's trial were to run out and I couldn't use it anymore, how would I import .glms to gmax? Or is there a way to turn a .glm into a file that Gmax can read?

Originally posted by imyourfather

I didn't tried to much with milkshape, but I think gmax is better. It gots most of the important tools that 3D Studio Max has. It's only drawback is that it cannot export. Milkshape can import export to a lot of file types, used my many games.

That's all very nice, but you guys did not answer my questions.

Okay, thanx, and BTW: not be annoying or anything, but generally, in all the message boards I've been on, you read the whole post, not just the title.

So, there are no .glm-->.md3 programs, besides Milkshape. So if I wanted to play with other sabers I would have to crack or buy Milkshape(no I am NOT asking for a crack).

I guess that's okay, Gmax can create tags and all the starting sabers also have .md3 files of the same model, last time I checked.

Gmax itself, as a modeling program, is far superior, it's just like 3ds max without stuff like the renderer, file imports and exports, and other stuff like Character Studio. They remove all that because it's for education purposes, or mod work, if developers will pay to make stuff for it (which they hardly ever do). MilkShape's great because it's practically free, and you can import and export almost everything imaginable, whereas making those plugins for Gmax is somewhat illegal. (Oh, they also remove file format capabilities so you can't import/export into max, effectively allowing a developer to buy only one license of max and then have their other guys use Gmax).

So, Gmax is really a better modeler, but Milkshape's definitely more practical

Originally posted by Emon

Gmax itself, as a modeling program, is far superior, it's just like 3ds max without stuff like the renderer, file imports and exports, and other stuff like Character Studio. They remove all that because it's for education purposes, or mod work, if developers will pay to make stuff for it (which they hardly ever do). MilkShape's great because it's practically free, and you can import and export almost everything imaginable, whereas making those plugins for Gmax is somewhat illegal. (Oh, they also remove file format capabilities so you can't import/export into max, effectively allowing a developer to buy only one license of max and then have their other guys use Gmax).

So, Gmax is really a better modeler, but Milkshape's definitely more practical

That's exactly what I said

If 3ds Max were $100, I'd buy it. If it were $200, I'd at least consider it---but it costs in the thousands!

I've made several models with milkshape3d for half-life, max payne, quake 3, and jedi outcast---lots of fun, and it only costs $20!! Fork out the cash.

Archived