Home

Psychonauts

Mr.Burger

i fail to understand how you, Ernil, can think of a little character running in 3rd person with psychic powers that can kill monsters as being able to compare with Monkey Island.

Erm...never said that, or even insinuated that. I KNOW it won't begin to compare with Monkey Island, but it can still be a good game. Dana, I believe you can die in Max Paine, and you're playing that. You played "Enter the Matrix" for days on end, and that was VERY die-able. Why do I seem excited by this one? It's just another silly die-ing game, but is made by the ever amazing Tim Schafer. That gives it potential beyond any other shooter game.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would actually have been kind of refreshing to meet a guy who WAS strenuously opposed to all games that are not straight adventure games. A little freaky, if you ask me. Maybe there'd be something wrong.

I don't even know any GIRLS who'd be that opposed to games that you can die in. Hmm.

All right....so....

From what I understand, Psychonauts is based on a sort hub deal, where Raz goes around and can complete levels (going inside peoples' heads) to get skills (and merit badges for them.)

You see, each of these minds has a problem. You know, a mental disease or something . And you figure out how to solve the problem and restore the person's mind. That on top of the entire game.

It doesn't sound like a real health-bar dying game to me. I mean, MAYBE it has something like that. I don't know much about it at present. But this is, in essence, an adventure game taken to a different level. I don't think you'll be dying every other minute like in King's Quest.

Tim isn't as stupid as you're saying he is. Don't say you never said that, the implications are there.

Uhhh...where's Yufster when you need her?

You're right, I always knew that Tim Schafer was a loser!

God, how could I SAY that? HOW? What evil forces directed my fingers thus? DIE! Wretched fingers, begone.

*butter knife is handy*

Ooooh. I shouldn't have done that. Anyway...you bring up another valid point. Psychologically speaking. Don't you love it when you have to play mind games with yourself? Yeah, me too.

Darn! *hits monitor repeatedly*

I was just thinking, eh, if you like Tim Schafer you sure have a funny way of showing it. Don't worry. The game will be good. Or something very close to it.

But I'm warning you now, Mr.Burger, DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP. EVER.

This conversation is SO over. Closed...oh, wait. Never mind.

I will consider dying in due time, Mr.Burger. It sounds like an excellent and very do-able plan. In fact, I probably won't leave this life without doing it at least once.

Dear Mister Bur Gur.

You've gone beyond making me laugh at your idiocy. You have actually annoyed me.

So, what you're saying is, Tim Schafer can only make adventure games, and sucks at everything else? You're saying that just because he makes a mean adventure game, he's forbidden to make another genre? Or because he is experimenting with genres, he's selling out? Are you crazy, or just very dumb?

Tim Schafer has never made a game that isn't part of the adventure game genre. Psychonauts is his first, and it hasn't been released. You can't judge him on something you haven't even played a demo of. Quite frankly, I have every faith in him being able to make a mean action-adventure too.

And just because he usually develops PC adventures... is he not allowed to switch platforms, or genres? Is this breaking some sort of rule or law or something?

And what exactly are you saying he's sold himself out to?

He's trying something new. He's making a leap from a familiar genre in a familiar company, to a new genre in his own company. I think he's doing fantastically.

Besides that, Adventure Games don't sell particularly well. He may or may not want to develop adventure games, but either way to develop one as a first game for his company would be corporate suicide. It would be a stupid thing to do. Are you suggesting then, that he should have condemned his own company from day 1?

Dear god, think before you speak. Think.

Tim isn't as stupid as you're saying he is. Don't say you never said that, the implications are there.

What Andy MEANT to say, was that Tim isn't stupid... at all. Look at all the dead and failed developers (Uh, companies) out there. Tim is still a young guy and not used to developing for multiple genres. Not only is he managing to keep a light-hearted website for Double Fine, and keep all the fans happy by answering email and such, but he's also succeeded in making business ends meet too. Besides that, I hear he is great at keeping up employee morale. Woot!

So in conclusion, I think you're a very miserable and over-cynical person. Tim is doing a great job, and you're complaining because he's "selling out" "Switching Genres/platforms" and "you can die". WTF kind of argument is that!?

I believe your taking his argument more on the "He can't do it" than it should be taken. I'm quite sure he was trying to say something more along the lines of

Tim Schafer shouldn't make this game because we know he can make so much better. Having the restriction of a health-bar is a restiction that inevitabley pulls down a game's potential unbelievbale amounts.

Do I agree with the point he's trying to make? Not saying. Just pointing out that this is more of his argument than "He can't do it."

You can't judge him on something you haven't even played a demo of.

What Dana is doing is judging him on are games he HAS played: MI1 and MI2. It is easilly seen that this man can make amazing, amazing, amazing wonders.

Much Love

Tim Schafer shouldn't make this game because we know he can make so much better. Having the restriction of a health-bar is a restiction that inevitabley pulls down a game's potential unbelievbale amounts.

Who are you to tell Tim Schafer what he should and shouldn't do? You haven't played Psychonauts, so you can't tell yet whether it's BETTER or WORSE than his other games. Besides that, many people prefer action adventure over adventure and vice versa. Perhaps he is providing for a different and wider audience.

I think it's really awful of you to think that he's selling out, or that he shouldn't switch genres.

Shame on you.

Besides that, do you honestly think any sane(?) man is going to doom his company right from the start? By making an adventure game as the company debut, he would ensure the company would never get off the ground. With Action Adventure he's ensuring a relatively wide audience and so a bigger return. I'm afraid whether he wanted to develop an Adventure Game or not, it seems like he had pretty much no choice.

SHAME ON YOU.

You suck at everything, Mr Burger... in particular, you suck at thinking.

Now if you want to admit you're wrong, and apologise to me and

Andy and Tim Schafer, and God, and everybody at LucasForums and then some, then I might consider forgetting this incident.

Archived