Home

Proving Grounds needs JA Staff

Binary

I'm a Site Admin for Proving Grounds and we're seeking staff to develop and administer Jedi Academy ladders and tournaments. Proving Grounds runs over 100 ladders for various game communities and we have a top-notch staff. We're looking to add Jedi Academy to replace our Jedi Knight 2 ladders. However, we need help. We are seriously in need of qualified Jedi Academy staff to make this happen. We have immediate openings for Ladder Admins, and Admin Assistants.

If you are interested in joining the staff, please apply here and we'll get back to you with the next steps.

If you're interested in competing on these ladders/tournaments, please feel free to stop by our new Jedi Academy forums and give us some suggestions.

Thanks,

Binary

Site Admin, Director of UT 2003 and JK2 Operations

Proving Grounds - http://www.provinggrounds.com

What gamemodes will your ladders run?

Also, I don't see how clans can compete when the game physics (such as hit and block detect) are not accurate and appear tempremental. I can't see a competetive series. as 'the better player' does not always win. (unless you just do gun ladders idk).

Or maybe the ladder would start after raven got around to patching the game physics?

Agreed Wookie.

Prime: Not really.

Of course every now and then someone got lucky and beat a good player, but most of the time the better player won.

From when I've played JA, I have seen the better player still normally wins, but either with less hp than he should have (because of outrageous hits, that should have missed) or because people just spam random swings right beneath them (and as kick is gone, theres no way to 'push' someone away).

As raven has released no news at all regarding any new physics they planned to change, I can only believe that they plan to keep the same base physics of attack and defence and that they're just not working properly.

Originally posted by Mr.Biggl3sw0rth

Prime: Not really.

Of course every now and then someone got lucky and beat a good player, but most of the time the better player won.

From when I've played JA, I have seen the better player still normally wins

This making my statement correct. The better player does not always win in JO either :D

but either with less hp than he should have (because of outrageous hits, that should have missed)

Persoanlly, I don't see how this really matters. A win is a win to me. You may feel different.

or because people just spam random swings right beneath them (and as kick is gone, theres no way to 'push' someone away).

But people who spam attacks are so easy to defeat, aren't they?

No thats the point. Duel sabers carry the same damage as a single medium, times two. Spamming duel sabers underneath someone isnt easy to defeat as theres no longer anyway to push someone away from you (omg if your even thinking of writing 'use push' then learn the game. Usage of force powers leaves you open to attack).

As i offered, I will play duel sabers, you have red stance and I will prove that a spammer can win everytime.

A win may be a win, but its not necessarily fun or fair.

Omg do you not people not read whole posts?

The idea of spamming is that your always close. There would be no 'safe' time to push'. Besides what about nf?

Secondly, I guarantee you can spam any red stancer in JA with duel sabers and never loose. (providing your not a complete moron).

No thats the point. Duel sabers carry the same damage as a single medium, times two.

I believe the thinking was that yes, the dual sabers (and double I believe) have two blades and so do twice as much damage as yellow. This is supposed to be balanced by the fact that red is equal to or better than the damage of dual. Also, dual doesn't have the option of going to red stance. So essentially each type of saber is supposed to have access to that large amount of damage, which they do, more or less.

And keep in mind that Raven has stated that the the two new saber styles are easier for rookie players to use, but the single saber can be just as effective in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

Spamming duel sabers underneath someone isnt easy to defeat as theres no longer anyway to push someone away from you

But you shouldn't let them get underneath you in the first place. I'm not the best player by any means, but I don't seem to have problems keeping my distance from spammers when I want. When they are making a beeline for you, I usually just do a flip as they run under and I end up behind them. In any case, I've never really had a problem with getting away from a spammer.

A win may be a win, but its not necessarily fun or fair.

Well, what people find satisfying or fair is as individual thing. The game can't satisfy everyone in this regard.

The idea of spamming is that your always close. There would be no 'safe' time to push'. Besides what about nf?

Going by my own experience, I find flipping over them helpful, maybe a rollstab, or a kata in their face works okay too :) I can't remember if you can do katas in nf (since I never see that many nf servers) though. But on force servers saber throw is always good against spammers, since they never have their defences up. Also, if you time a red topdown chop right it can do the trick as well.

Secondly, I guarantee you can spam any red stancer in JA with duel sabers and never loose. (providing your not a complete moron).

I doubt that is the case, and I certainly haven't seen that on the servers I've been playing on (public ones). For the most part, the spammers I've seen tend not to be successful, regardless of what saber style they are using.

But really, if the player has any kind of ability, they shouldn't be a "red stancer". The advantage of the single saber is that it has three different stances with different abilities. If red leaves you too open, switch to another stance. I find myself switching constantly between them all.

These ideas may not work for you, but the seem to for me. :)

Originally posted by Prime

But people who spam attacks are so easy to defeat, aren't they?

"provided your not a complete moron"

Originally posted by Mr. Biggl3sw0rth

Omg do you not people not read whole posts?

I did...Try Force PUSH (standing in one spot doesn't help either)

I believe Binary was looking for a site admin. though in initial post.

eniaC

"....there good eat'n though."

Although the red should balance out double, it is not the case.

Yes dodging is easy, providing you never attack. As soon as you attack however, your open to spammage.

Added to this the terrible blocking physics, meaning almost half of red swings that should hit, just don't (hopefully fixed soon).

As soon as you move to attack, the spammer can easily dodge a red stancerand literally spam beneath them (as you have to be close enough to attack them in the first place).

Admittedly a lot of unskilled players do this, which is why they cannot do it effectively (as I said, providing you're not a completet moron)

But my point is if this game is ever to be played competetively, providing one opponent has an ounce of intelliegence, he can easily see that spammage can always win against red stance. (As I offer to prove).

This is due to 2 things:

Duel/staff have unlimited chainable combos. Red stance is 3 chain limit and does about 30-40% more damage than medium. If it is indeed duel= double damage of single medium, then duel can technically out power red stance.

Inm short, duel sabers need to have a combo limit.

Secondly, there is no way to push away a spammer anymore. Raven simplified the game (for reasons previously established) favouring unskilled players. This now means the easiest and best way to win is to use an unskilled technique.

Yes dodging is easy, providing you never attack. As soon as you attack however, your open to spammage.

"Provided your not a complete moron."

My brother kills almost every time with red, against any saber.

I can kill red users and staff with dual sabers. It's easy. You just have to know how to do it.

Somehow I think that you haven't had this game for long.

And you could have saved yourself some typing by copying a thread from a year and a half ago, about JK2. It would have said pretty much the same thing anyway.

Archived