Home

Xbox Live? PLEASE SAY SO

DaJedi

It was been confirmed that JA will support X-Box Live, but it hasn't been confirmed to what degree.

Will it have 2 player support? 4 player? Multiplayer similar to the PC version with servers? Compatible with PC version?

I don't think we really know at this point.

I don't know if Dismemberment is an option in JA Xbox, but if it was in Jedi Outcast Xbox, I imagine it would also be in JA. I mean why not?

I remember hearing that the console versions of JK2 would have no dismemberment, but I also saw a video recently of JK2 on the Xbox (? maybe it was changed) that showed an arm being cut off a stormtrooper.

So again, unconfirmed, but if somebody else knowns...

I am cringing at how the consoles are gonna handle online gaming.... but i'll give it a go(for my ps2 - mainly for sports games)

I would have a go at JA live on the XB(on my friends XB) I imagine it would dumb things down a bit, due to the lack of customisability. I wonder if there will be as many whiners about JA/XB Live MP as there is JA PC MP !!

As for myself, I was in EB today, and I saw the rogue squadron trailer on a big screen in there. This SW fan was much awestruck by the amazing visuals/sounds

... Add to this the fact that the darn GC also now has a new final fantasy title(my other gaming love), I think I'm gonna have to offer the 10yo kid next door $50 for his GC.......

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

I hope that link is a joke, Crow.

Hey Capn, havent you heard that phrase, "as the crow flies"

thats as straight an answer as you'll get :p

BTW, another phrase I'm reminded of is 'ask a silly question...'

Anyway, online console gaming is largely untested. I thinks its gonna be hard, as there will inevitably be glitches, I hope the systems will be able to incorporate updates and 'patches' to fix such things..... th XB will be faring better than the PS2 in this respect as it already has the HD on board...

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by |DEM|Mosleg

I can insure you he knows what an Xbox is, he's just being a typical PS2/GC/DC fanboi! (although DC's rocked in their day :p)

:)

Yeah, I know what one of those "things" is. I'm not a fanboy of any of the above mentioned platforms though. I prefer to think of myself as a pc purist, although I DO own a ps2. But it's only used for watching dvd's unless one of my kids is playing a game. What's a DC btw?

Online gaming for consoles is nothing new.

It goes back to the days of the NES and Genesis, though even older consoles had modems (they didn't allow you to play in real time though IIRC, only read BBS type stuff and download files or play text based games).

It's true the Dreamcast was revolutionary in many ways, but sadly Sega just didn't have the time and money to give it the support it deserved and it died a quick death.

All of their online gaming has ended I'm told, which is a real shame. I wonder if it would be possible for some talented hackers/programmers to setup "homebrew" servers to play games with their friends? Dreamcast programming is something of a hobby on the internet from what I've seen.

Anyway, yeah, it's all possible and modern consoles have the ability. The only question I have is will the Xbox version be compatible with the PC version?

For the dreamcast they released an (excellent) port of Quake3 Arena. It had new maps and tweaks and if you installed a special map pack and adjusted your settings, you could host a PC server and have DC players join it. ; )

Pretty cool... and they could do the same thing for JA (its even using the same engine!) on Xbox and PC. The question is, will they?

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

I prefer to think of myself as a pc purist, although I DO own a ps2.

In my younger wilder days, I used to be very cynical towards consoles in general(when comparing thrm to pcs). But then I got my ps2, and yes it is a dvd player too, which doubles its practicality ! Being a HUGE Final Fantasy fan, I could not survive without having a PS2, and the social element of having mates over playing a great sports title(FIFA soccer for us usually) is always fun :D

After playing Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 for the first time a few days ago, I have VOWED TO GET MY HANDS ON A GAMECUBE! (I never ever thought I'd say that) Those games are amazing ! Plus, there is a GC exclusive final fantasy title out soon too...

But herein lies the difference - my ps2 cost me $200, my laptop $4000.... so you can understand why alot of kids out there have consoles....

Oh yeah, I won't criticize someone for going the less expensive console route. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, many of the various console exclusive titles are badass, in the very much so way. I just prefer the pc. That's all.

*BTW, I feel like a complete jackass asking what a DC is, because I used to play the $#!+ out of that UFC game that was released for it. That game RAWKED!!! Long live Tito Ortiz and Frank Shamrock.

Originally posted by Kurgan

It's true the Dreamcast was revolutionary in many ways, but sadly Sega just didn't have the time and money to give it the support it deserved and it died a quick death.

And because the controllers SUCKED!
All of their online gaming has ended I'm told, which is a real shame. I wonder if it would be possible for some talented hackers/programmers to setup "homebrew" servers to play games with their friends? Dreamcast programming is something of a hobby on the internet from what I've seen.
I doubt it. There's a truckload of processing/code that is never seen by the individual consoles. Plus, consoles are very difficult to code for and to get non-official programs to run on them. I just don't see it happening.

And because the controllers SUCKED!

I beg to differ. Sure the new Xbox controllers are fairy decent, but the original ones sucked (the US ones at least). The PSX controller is horrible (ditto for the one ported to the PS2). I say this mainly because of the "lack of feedback" feel to the buttons (the triggers are ok) and the terrible "d-button" (make it one solid piece, not four individual buttons that are too far apart).

Or how about that N64 controller? Big bulky boomarang thing... never saw the point of that other than to be a toy in and of itself for kids. ; )

Anyway, to make a long story short, the DC, like all other systems had more than one hand controller (gasp!) that you could buy. I found the DC default controllers to be responsive and comfortable (with the best analog stick I've ever used on a home console IMHO). I guess other people's hands are different than mine and maybe that accounts for the complaints?

Still, THE BEST gamepads I've ever used were the ones I bought back in 1997 for my pc, a pair of Gravis Xterminator pads (the gameport version.. they released a USB version sometime later and now I think it's no longer supported, and it has crappy Win2k/XP support, but they still rock... fully configurable to any keystroke or mouse/joystick button, sturdy and comfortable, plus they look cool and feel solid).

I doubt it. There's a truckload of processing/code that is never seen by the individual consoles. Plus, consoles are very difficult to code for and to get non-official programs to run on them. I just don't see it happening.

Yeah could be. There's a lot of amateur coding but you're probably right about proprietary code on the server end. Still, it would have been nice if Sega gave (or "Leaked") the code out to fans. I mean if there's no more money to be made from online DC Sega.net users, what's the point of keeping it secret? They're not going to release a new console (so they've said) and by the time they did you'd think their old system would be obsolete.

Anyway, Sega has thrown in the towel and devoted themselves to developing software for their former competitors: Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. Never thought I'd see the day...

Sorry for getting off topic. Surely we'll be getting some more info soon as the release date can't be far off.

We were discussing consoles and online play and that naturally brought up the DC. ; )

Notice I said:

Sorry for getting off topic. Surely we'll be getting some more info soon as the release date can't be far off.

So again, sorry for getting off topic!

Archived