Home

JKA netcode

Dracofyre

I have a few questions concerning JKA and it's netcode.

1.) What are the things we have available to tweak client side? For instance we had cmd_rate, etc. in HL.

2.) Why does this game have such horrendous netcode? It's pretty laggy, and damn near everything will cause ping/lag pikes.

3.)What does the Net_SendPacket: WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL message mean?

you have 'rate' (it's either rate, sv_rate or cl_rate, I believe the former is the clientside and middle is server-side)

2) Laggy? It's fine for me when I play it, if you use a router, that may be the cause of the lag spikes.

3.)What does the Net_SendPacket: WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL message mean?

From Winsock error message guide:

WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL

Specified address is not available

This error occurs when an application attempts to connect to a remote host, and the address is not available from the local system.

Originally posted by Dracofyre

2.) Why does this game have such horrendous netcode? It's pretty laggy, and damn near everything will cause ping/lag pikes.

Hmm. JO and JA have been the two smoothest games I have played online. I almost never experience lag. :confused:

Try playing Siege Prime. The netcode is a piece of ****.

I'm pulling this statement from the provider of the IDS server:

We have learned that there is a deficiency in the Siege game with certain Siege maps. In some cases, changing to one or two particular Siege maps while in Siege mode can lag the whole box, and all the servers on it. So while you may not be playing a Siege, someone else may.

That's the problem. We don't quite have a solution yet; we're not quite sure there is a solution just yet, as it's a problem with JKA itself.

We hope to put out an announcement soon asking customers not to use Siege so much. In the meantime, we're investigating other options.

Thanks for your continued patience!

Yep, that's right, Siege is either a.) a resource hog, or b.) has the crappiest netcode on earth. I'm willing to bet it is both, and I'm seeing why Saga was cut from JKII.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

Try playing Siege Prime. The netcode is a piece of ****.

The few Seige games I have tried haven't had a problem with lag. But I always select the servers with the lower ping. Just my experience.

That does look like a serious issue though...

Originally posted by ASk

From Winsock error message guide:

WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL

Specified address is not available

This error occurs when an application attempts to connect to a remote host, and the address is not available from the local system. [/b]

Hmm, then why would I be getting that message in-game?? I could be playing, and I would constantly get that message. I can get a screen cap of this if you guys need one to see what I mean.

Firstly, it is impossible to play an online game without lag. There is always lag, but to what degree is what matters.

JA lags more than JK2 due to slightly more data needing to be sent.

JO and JA have been the two smoothest games I have played online. I almost never experience lag.

Thats down to the server and not the game. Some servers lag a lot, others don't. It's also down to signal integrity, packet loss, handshakes etc.

Archived