Home

What hope for Galaxies?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

The idea of this thread is not a flame war or anything but Im just curious on ideas and thoughts.

My boss at work has Everquest and has been playing since day 1. The last patch has people running around and sometimes they will just fall over and die. Yes a bug.

This is in addition to the other issues still in the game and more shocking most of all is that Sony charge EQ users 2 different prices. Price one is for the normal pay per month etc and the second is a premium service where you pay $40 a month to get patches/updates new content and live game masters before the normal $14 a month service. Totally shocking when you have played for 3 years and paid more than enough money.

EQ has been developed by the same guys as Galaxies and of course Sony - the devil!

With the farce of 'how to become a jedi' made me think. Is this the best that they could come up with? Find a Holocron and then master the profession it tells you and you might unlock FS. Lame.

I still believe that these Jedi are Devs running around them game as it all seems a bit sudden. The community puts pressure on Sony about Jedi and then suddenly..we have Jedi.

The game still lacks the Star Wars feel. Reports are in of armies of Stormtroopers attacking Anchorhead on various servers...more of this should be happening...its war!

What does the future hold for Galaxies? Poor sales in Europe, probably a decreasing playing community... post your thoughts

DMUK

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havent got the game yet but now after all that i have read and seen about SWG, the game itself seems totally amazing, perfect and something that i would love, but all of the bugs etc, i know that every MMORPG has its bugs but bugs that make it unplayable are abit hard to tolerate, i think, im going to get KotOR and play that and hold out untill about 3 months time, then look into getting SWG again, and hope to god that the bugs that are seriousely worrying me have been delt with.

And please SOE dont make the charge more for people that want the patches and updates, thats rediculous, $14 is plenty enough for them, and with that i think you should get everything, its stupid, your paying for a whole new game every 2 months nearly, although im not completely sure because im in the UK i dont know how much USA games are, but making you pay $26 more for crucial things you need for your game to make it playable is just atrocious. Tell your boss i feel sorry for him and he should complain to SOE, espiaccely after 3 years of normal payment.

Overall i am a little bit dissapointed about SWG, i really did want it but im just not sure anymore, i mean after reading about it so much etc, i really hope SOE buck up, listen to the peoples ideas and fix those issues.

Also, i dont think its SOE's fault about the Jedis, because, come on if there werent Jedis in the game loads of people will complain that there arent Jedis, but now that there are, people complain anyway, but dont get me wrong i think the way that the Jedis are selected is stupid, but then again how else are they going to do it? I think its a really hard subject to figure out a way to please people but still be in the games limit and not get people to complain about it, i just dont think its going to happen.

Guest DarthMaulUK

PC gamer in the UK have reviewed Galaxies this month, giving it just 72% and in a very honest review I have to say.

Theres no doubt that Galaxies is the best looking out of all the online games but even they struggled to run it well with a 3.2 gig top of the line PC.

They go on to say that its a missed affair but given time, could be the best game around but with Sonys attempts to block out the 30% of the community who are having problems and just focus on the 70% who can play trouble free, might shoot themselves in the foot long term.

From a creative point of view the game is lacking and needs dramatic work to bring Galaxies to life. One day......

DMUK

Wow, thats quite dramatic, i might go out and buy PC Gamer just for that review lol, what pc are you running it on DMUK? And how does it run?

I think it really is ashame about EQ price changes, i hope to god they dont charge that much with SWG, it wouldnt just stop me from getting because i couldnt afford it, i think the game will die because so many people would drop off of it because it was too much, the people that really do try and carry on are on empty-ish servers with nothing to do, so they will go anyway, seriousely SOE, you should just work so hard to get some of the really bad patches fixed then worry about the small ones, i mean the 1FPS sounds disastrous, and then loads of people's games are crashing to the desktop all the time, you dont pay to look at your desktop repeatedly, i mean, please SOE, im begging you, if the 1FPS bug goes, and then people arent having a problem about crashing to the desktop (although that may be hardware issues) then you have one more customer right here!

As long as you dont change the payment, :D

Guest DarthMaulUK

with 1fps theres not alot you can do about it, even with a beast of a graphics card. Too much going on.

Recently my game has just been locking up completely due to the lag. I am slowly playing less and less of the game as it has become a chore and not enjoyable. When you try and play over a 4 hour period, have 58 crashes in that time, it becomes tiring.

PC gamer review is worth getting.

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

And admitting it could be a good game for the future, too many bugs and Sonys lack of assistance make up for a truely poor online gaming experience. Score: 72%

Go and buy this months mag for a review

DMUK

afther the mounth and city patch it's like hell

computers are freezing and juping back to desktops everywhere in pepole's home's

I had to fully format my hardisk afther a galaxie's freez

and had to reinstall windows....there was nobody of the tecnical service who could fix it whitout not loosing the files.

:(

there is not much hope left for me

Dammit SOE i wish you just brought out a patch to fix all this, 'all available hands' as you like to call it, do it! You brought out the mounts patch way to early and the game obviousely cant handle it, please, just listen to peoples problems and just try and fix it one by one...

Hawkeyes:

The router does not have a firmware update. If it were my choice, I would have gotten a D-Link or something else. I've used plenty of D-Link's and had zero problems. Unfortunatly, it's not my router.

Have you taken any cisco courses? Because I'm pretty sure you havn't. I'm doing CCNA 1-4 right now and CCNP next year and it's a freakin joke. They released a new version of the course and it's so ****'ed up it's not even funny. Just because a company is mainstream does not mean they're the best.

Look at microsoft and windows XP. If you have windows XP with no updates you are the biggest risk to being hacked. My thoughts on this? Microsoft doesn't know what the hell they're doing. Then, do you see how many updates there are for XP? They'res like 30 some odd updates. That's just a f'ing pathetic if you ask me.

Now look at Linux. IMO Linux is 10000000x better than windows. It's the most stable OS I've ever used in my life. Sure it may be a bit trickier to get drivers and stuff but who cares.

If I could get Nortel certification at this school I would do it over cisco in a SECOND. The experiences I've had doing this course are just unacceptable.

So don't come to me saying

"Linksys ???

Man they are the best. Offcialy supported by CISCO systems and u think they suck?"

When you don't know what the F*** you're talking about.

-Nao

First of all:

Im glad u take it up to this point assuming i dont know what i talk about just because i, and lots and LOTS of other folks, dont had any problems whatsoever with a Linksys. (Im talking bout the BEFSR41 types wich did have a few, very usefull, firmware revisions).

Second of all:

I dont know why you're reffering to OS in this. Cause it shouldnt matter what type of OS your running. Ofcourse MS has lots of security problems and the like and im a huge fan of Linux myself but one of the things is that SWG does'nt run well on Linux now does it.

An last:

I don't like people who judge before knowing where someone came from. Your still in school apperently bragging about stupid courses i dont care about and calling me a incompetent person for not knowing where i talk about.

I dont generaly go about having these discussions but listen up u prick. I've been working for a long time in a high-security IT branche as a consultant. We have customers ranging from every department of goverments. Our business has a cashflow that ranges way beyond normal standards and yes we use Cisco systems. Do you really think your comments about Cisco make me think differently?

U should have left out that lest sentence, Nao, and i might have approached this some other way. Now to me your just another one of those guys we have to put up with for 6 months every year comming from school and whining how they need a place to learn the stuff.

Dont get me wrong i love those guys couse they are spirrited young people. But every once in a while we have someone i'd like to refer to in the future as a "Naossoan".

/end of discussion

Look man. I didn't mean to be silly *edited DMUK* I was just kind of aggrivated at the moment from other things going on, and when i started talking about the cisco course I just got even madder.

I just put the OS thing in there as an example of how mainstream things are not always the best.....doens't have anything to do with cisco.

But personally i will never buy a linksys router over just because of the crap we've been going through.

Sorry for being a jackass.....

Ok and sorry from me for being a bit too offensive to your post.

I think its a part of both worlds. You having problems with linksys equipment while i on the otherhand cant stand a few other manufacturers.

Its just part of "likes and dislikes"

But about the ongoing problems in SWG there still remains a point i dont get.

I and, in this case, a friend of mine never experienced any crap. I had one crash but that was totaly my fault. This is all in a period of 4 months now.

I know u must think i never leave my home far outside the citys but in fact i go on raids about every night with groups up to sizes a la 14 people.

Yesterday i went to Bestine to find me a group again and was overlooking the entrance to the starport and there were so many people i couldnt even read out the names above their heads cause it all crossed eachother and yet i experienced no degraded performance.

i wish i could help u lot find out the problematics of this but i'm not in that position.

(Sometimes it would be nice to work on the DEV team eh? ;) )

My game has crashed probably....7 times and I've only had it about a month. My graphics card is not all that great (GF4 TI4200 128meg) and whenever I go into town it gets sooooooo choppy for probably 5-10 seconds then goes back to normal. It's very annoying...I will invest in a new graphics card later.

But as for teh crashes they seem to come at pretty much random times. It crashed yesterday when i was just running around, there wasnt even anyone/thing in my screen and it just crashed....I was like well that's just stupid...

DMUK u crack me up editing those two posts. :D

And as for crashing i had one too. :eek: yesterday as well as my friend.

When i logged back on i was way back at the position is was a half hour before and all my actions i did in the meantime where undone.....

:mad:

Cant get a finger behind it but it seems pretty dumb random to me so far. We will see tonight....

Guest DarthMaulUK

welcome to my world Hawkeyes ;-)

naossoan how much ram do you have? The low fps makes no difference on graphics cards. I have tired every single one, including the very latest 256 MB cards.

Truth of the matter is, the graphics in SWG is alittle way ahead of its time and as yet, no home pc can really run the game with all the options on.

More ram wont make a difference to the fps (which really isnt a bug) but it would make the game go faster. However, if you enter a busy town, move slowly! LOL

DMUK

72% Is fair I'd say for a review.

I'm a games reviewer and in a few months when I review SWG I imagine that being roughly the score it'll get, maybe more.

Personally, I couldn't give a flying crap if the game's nothing like the movies... because I've seen the movies, and hated them all.

Yes, SWG is buggy. Every MMOG is buggy. Yet to be fair, the mount patch was released way sooner than it should have, and is unstable for 56k users. Hell, i can't even go in Bestine anymore without my client crashing...

Graphics for SWG too advanced? Hah! The graphics are nice, but nothing compaired to AC2. I was just looking at the cloud and sky effects on that when I started for about 40 mins.

I understand where you're coming from DMUK, but I dopn't agree with you fully. But, while I'm on a roll... here are some other things I dislike about this game.

- The french mission thieves

- The lame 'Rebel V Imp' attitude everyone seems to have

- AT-STs (sp) I'm Imperial... and I think rebels should get some kind of Mecha

- The mouints... fix 'em or remove them

- Chef skill is useless, they fixed food... but how the **** do you level up a skill that you need 32,000 exp to level... when the most you get for something is 40exp. GAH!!!

whoa wait a minut matri00. I for one love it and play it every night.

We just discovered some flaws. the one more then others.

I discoverd a few and DM for instance has a list as long as his arm.

But in my case i accept it as is and will enjoy this game for a long time to come. ;)

Originally posted by Matri00

i was talking about DMUK....he always says the game is not that good...if its not good why do you still play it?

It's not a clear case of whether he likes it or not, it's the fact that he's been let down my the promise of the best MMORPG ever, of what clearly is one of his favourite series of Films. The lead up to SWG's release has been just that, and the developers itself were the biggest victims in all this.

To be frank, I think they released too much Info' on Galaxies, too soon. If they waited untill they had a certain deadline, and then released detailed information, FAQ's, Interviews and game coverage... most of the let-down could have been avoided. But that's just me talking. :)

And I think I speak for all the more literate users when I say I'm thankfull that DMUK can string together a decent argument without resorting to ''SWG is 4 noobs. IT SUX!!! Coz itz got bugz all ovr!11!1'

I find it interesting that we have somone to discuss the issues with SWG on a two-sided basis, rather than...

< Poster One > Star Wars Galaxies good...

< Poster Two > Yes, yes it is.

< Poster One > Best. Game. Ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying not to take sides. But I think it's right to say that it isn't the best MMORPG ever, it has problems, it has room for improvment but it's still an enjoyable game... although I don't know how long for. :)

Back onto topic. I think if Sony pull themselves around, Fix all the bugs, sort out major issues such as lagg. Before they introduce Vehicles, then maybe alot of the commotion could be setlled.

Speaking of Vehicles; if mounts totally slaughter my FPS and send my ping up to 10,000 while in Bestine, how the feck is my poor deffensless 56kbs modem supposed to handle 30 happy-go-lucky, boy racers... zooming around the streets of bestine in landspeeders!? I wouldn't be suprised if my PC grew legs and jumped out the window. :mad:

Guest DarthMaulUK

Why do i still play?

Simply - the community. Its the only thing holding the game together. I have said this b4.

I have covered alot of points about the game...mostly bad and i, like hawkeyes think its great we all can all agree to disagree! :-)

But you have to understand my frustation when you spend 3 hours at the weekend just trying to login/crash , repeat process x58 until it finally launches.

I get angry and mad because there seems to be no cure to this problem and since the last major update, like a lot of people, the crashing to desktop has become worse.

On Monday, i had MSN open and a web design package open and decided to launch the game around 8pm. I thought, if it doesnt launch, i wont play. Well, to my surprise it launched first time and despite MSN going off during play, the game didnt crash once.

Tuesday was a different story. It made up for Monday with nothing open. How odd is that. Thats why i point the finger at the Sony Dev team. It would be interesting to see how and on what systems they tested the game.

I find their testing to be flawed. The amount of times now I have exited the gaming world (when the screen goes one colour) which is a major bug and one they must have seen and yet did nothing about.

Its lazy and they need to pull their finger out.

DMUK

I can't believe and I did all that typing and you didn't even comment. :rolleyes:

Something you said in that last post really struck a chord with me Maul, in a good way. The part about them not fixing anything in the last major update; I agree 100%. They're too busy stuffing in new feature after new feature, that they neglect all the bugs and flaws in the older ones.

They're doing it now with Mounts and Viehcles, a prime example. Mounts are totally not fit for ingame use, as since they were intoduced I can't even dream of entering the major cities (As I've mentioned in this most about 4 times).

Now they're going to introduce Land-Speeders... Ack.

Archived