Home

Music on CD-Version of MI1

Samel

I recently found my old cd of MI1 and got it running again under winXP with scummVM. It works like a charm! But i have one question.

Is the cd-audio-music present at all times or is the background silent in some "rooms"?

For example: At Melee Island I hear the oceansound down by the scummbar and the background music inside the bar. On the other hand, if I go "downtown" to the parrotman there's no music at all. Is it supposed to be like this or is my cd-audio somehow corrupt?

(I also can't run 3x grafics in fullscreen but i suppose that's normal)

The Secret of Monkey Island was developed before the days of iMUSE (used in MI2) so music wouldn't dynamically change with the game, it instead changed music tracks on the CD (throw it in your CD player to listen to the MI soundtrack). Therefore, some parts of MI1 are silent because there simply is no accompanying music (of course in reality, it's because it's trying to create a weird silent mood which obviously makes this the best game in the world)

Ok. Great. Thanks.

I finished the game today once more. It was a bit tricky as I haven't done it since -97 or something. My favourite part I think is the three-headed monkey in the cannibal village. Damn funny :p

Any tips on the 3x-sized graphics? Is there any actual difference between 2x and 3x in quality or is it just bigger? I think 3x looks even smoother than 2x...

I think 3x graphics uses a slightly wacky resolution (960 x 720 or something) that your monitor or graphics card might not support. 3x will obviously look slightly smoother than 2x, but I don't think the difference is big enough to worry about. :)

Archived