Home

The Phantom of the Opera vs CMI?

Reaper Girl

Wow...i have too much spare time and too much Phantom on the brain...

Recently, I got CMI. With as little cheating as possible, I beat the game in Mega-Monkey mode. I wish it was longer, and with a more explosive ending, but such is life. Sometime in the near future, I will install and play EFMI. I may cheat b/c I see it is one hard motha. But whatever...

In, oh, 1911, Gaston Leurox wrote the novel Le Fantome de l'Opera, or The Phantom of the Opera. It fizzled as a literary success, and made a few awful movies. In 1986, Andrew Llyod Webber made it into one of the most succesful musicals of all time. It gained a legion of female fans, and blah, blah, blah...

What am i getting at?

LeChuck is starting to remind me of the orginal Phantom...the one in Gaston's novel. I think i'm a little crazy for thinking this way, but here it is...

THING #1 : Both Erik(the Phantom) and LeChuck both have some grisly features in common. Both stink- Erik's hands "smell of death" and LeChuck...er..."The smell takes some getting used to." They also both have glowing eyes, however, Erik's yellow eyes can only be seen in the dark. And both are missing a nose.

THING # 2: Both love a woman they can never have. In the novel, Erik tries to win the love of a chorus girl, Christine, by lanching her singing career. Christine will never love Erik, however, because of Erik's deformity and she loves another man (Raoul). LeChuck tries to win Elaine by offering her immortality. Elaine will never love LeChuck for obvious reasons.

THING # 3: Both are foiled by a heroic, slightly dumb blonde handsome young man. Erik's enemy is the dashing young Raoul, who Christine really loves and plans to marry. Raoul never really foils Erik, but when it becomes apparent that Christine will never be happy without Raoul, Erik stops his advances and gives up.

LeChuck, however, never gets it. Guybrush has to blow him up to stop him.

Evidently, Erik is by far a more romantic figure then LeChuck, but the similarities can not be denied.

Disscuss. I am waiting.

...AND BOYCOTT THE 2004 PHANTOM MOVIE!!!

SOMEONE who aperciates my rambling!

"as little cheating as possible"? I could just tell ya, but i'd rather make ya guess!

;)

I think I'm the only Phantom of the Opera fan in the world who's a Monkey Island fan too...like some kind of FREAK...

...a PotO/MI hybrid...

ah its actually nice to see that some people are thinking of interesting and original new topics, which these boards have been seriously lacking for a few months.

Still rather random, although i can see ur similarities.... erm.. i dunno what else to say though lol

Lefty, if ur going to be a cynical tw*t, at least use a different, and more original insult then every other uve ever posted.

There are a lot better Python insults than that anyway :p

Okay...

@ El Mariachi :ARGH! *runs up and HUGS!* yes, both have superb music.:cool:

@Phatt: it is very random...oh, well. I just felt a need to point this out.

@Jedi-Monkey: yum yum the Full Monty!:naughty:

actually, i've never seen it...but i imagine its quite good...:rofl:

@Lefty: I think thats all you know how to say...:rolleyes:

why don't you run along and play in the sandbox, or the litter box, eh?

Originally posted by Lefty9fingers

I fail to see how using some obscure monty python quote is going to beat me at my own game.

i just hoped that would surprise you so much that you just stop to exist, or something...

Originally posted by Lefty9fingers

Oh, and your quote is out of order, try and get that fixed please.

afaik, this quote is right... (ok... in the original, king arthur replies something after the "donkey-bottom biters", but this isn't that important here...)

Lefty, stop bing a stupid sh*t.

I liked Phantom of the Opera. I had a teacher in 7th and 8th grade who was OBSESSED (I mean OBSESSED!!!) with Micheal Crawford. (For those who don't know, Mr. Crawford was the original Phantom of the Opera). We watched it several times (as well as celebrated his birthday for a week). The simialrities are definatly there, but I don't think I ever would have piskced them out on my own...

Archived