Home

Conquer the Galaxy - SWGB2

Darth Windu

Hi everyone. After having received Rise of Nations for xmas, i have found a lot of good things about the game - which in itself is excellent.

One of the features which i think would be very useful for a Star Wars RTS is the 'Conquer the World' feature, which would obviously be transformed into 'Conquer the Galaxy'. My question is though, what would be the homeworlds for some of the civs?

In my template, i have the-

- Confederacy of Independant Systems (Seperatists)

- Galactic Empire

- Galactic Republic

- Hutt Cartel

- Rebel Alliance

- Naboo Coalition

- Trade Federation

- Wookiees

Now, for some it's easy. The Wookiee homeworld is Kashyyk (or similar), the Coalition's homeworld is Naboo, the Hutt hoemworld is Tatooine.

The question i would like some help with is what would be the homeworlds for the-

- Empire?

- Republic?

- Confederacy?

- Trade Federation?

Although Coruscant would be a good choice for the first two, who actually gets it? Any help here would be appreciated.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they'd have to both have Coruscant. Since the Republic becomes the Empire you can't really give them separate planets and make it sensible. But if it absolutely must be done, perhaps Kamino for the Republic.

So:

Confederacy: Geonosis

Empire: Coruscant

Republic: Coruscant or Kamino

Hutt Cartel: Nal Hutta or Tatooine

Rebel Alliance: Yavin 4

Naboo: Naboo

Trade Federation: Neimoidia

Wookiees: Kashyyyk

Confederacy of Independant Systems (Seperatists) - Geonosis

Galactic Empire - Coruscant (Imperial City) or Byss

Galactic Republic - Coruscant or Kamino

Hutt Cartel - Nal Hutta or Nar Shadda ;)

Rebel Alliance - Yavin 4 or Hoth

Naboo Coalition - Naboo

Trade Federation - Neimoidia

Wookiees - Kashyyyk

Also, I kinda didn't like how RoN's map and gameplay for Conquer the world. If they did it for SWGB2, it should be something different. Maybe even have space battles upon entering systems and stuff....

Also, depending on the timeline, list may vary.

SWGB2 has to have space battles... thats why GB lacks some SW feel...

However, conquering planets should work somewhat like settlements in AoM... though not for pop, but allow you to build planetary defences and such, and to actually take the planet, ground battles must be fought... maybe a multilayered map

(IE. Click on a planet, view the ground map ect)

I think they need to have some of the Old republic factions like the mandalorians and the sith... after the sucess of KotOR

Vostok - i know that, but the Republic and Empire cant both be in the same place at the same time now can they?

Also, there is a question as to whether the Republic should have Kamino - after all, it is outside the Republic.

With Geonosis, not sure that's a good idea either. After all, all it was was a manufacturing planet, which was taken by the Republic in the first battle of the Clone War.

Phreak - what is it that you didn't like about RoN's 'Conquer the World'?

Maybe, when invading a system where an enemy Fleet/Army was present, you would land with fewer units/resources than normal to simulate space-battle losses.

Masta - no way. The problem is that SWGB is all about the ground battles, and the only things i see in a game combining both Ground and Space battles are really high system requirements and problems.

I would like to see a Star Wars space RTS as well, but not a combined one.

I also think that it's unnecessary to add civs just because another game had them.

Vostok - just because it's from RoN doesnt make it bad. I agree about Republic/Empire but what does it matter if the Gungans or Hutt's conquer the Galaxy?

In RoN it doesnt make sense for the Inca to conquer the world either, but it's there because it's fun.

Pheak - could you be a bit more specific? I am interested in how you would have the Conquer the Galaxy mode as opposed to the RoN version.

I'd rather have space battles for that type of campaign.

In fact, I'd rather SWGB2 was a Space RTS. Star Wars is behind in the Space Battles department.

Besides, once you destroy the space defenses, the planet is yours.

And I want my damn Star Destroyers.

Phreak - we've been over this more times than i can count. Everyone wants a space RTS, but SWGB2 is all about GROUND BATTLES.

Besides, did you fail to notice how the Imperials made a ground assault on Hoth, how the Trade Federation made a ground assault on Naboo, or how the Republic made a ground assault on Geonosis?

BTW, if you want Star Destroyers, go buy 'Star Trek Armada 2' and then download the 'Star Wars Fleet Command' mod for that game - it turns it into Star Wars and is really quite good.

I'm sure you've all seen by now that Battlefront will have a conquer the galaxy mode with no space combat. If they can do it for FPS there's no reason why it can't be done in RTS.

Also, Battlefront will only allow Rebels vs Empire or Republic vs Confederacy, which neatly solves the Coruscant question.

Vostok - so? Almost everything from SWGB was copied from AoK but you dont seem to mind. What you must understand, my young padawan, is that there have been so many RTS games released that it doesnt so much matter what the ideas are in the game, but how those ideas are connected in the game.

So RoN was the first mainstream RTS with a TBS section built into it. All we do now is buildon that to make it better, and i feel that having a CtG mode in SWGB2 would be better than not having it.

• 2 weeks later...

You can ge away with borrowing things in FPS's, where originality is hard ot come by, but in an RTS, originality is highly rated, and if you, as a game developer do not add something unique to your game, it will be scalded by the reviewers. Many reviewers led SWGB slide with a copy because it was a good game at heart, and they did add sufficient new stuf, but don't expect to be so lucky next time.

Luke - actually im not exadurating. If you open up the JK2 'assets0.pk3' and open up some of the files contained within it, you can clearly see that JK2 is a mod of 'Elite Force'. Some of the examples are that it lists Kyle as 'Munro' and that the 'Elite Force' weapons names are in the file listing the JK2 weapons.

Sith - true, but then as long as the game is true to Star Wars and plays well, it doesnt need to be inovative. SWGB was pretty much true to Star Wars but it just didnt play well, and didnt realistically re-create the type of combat we saw in Star Wars, and that was why it failed.

Archived