Home

Change one thing about KotOR [poss. spoilers]

txa1265

Have you played DiabloII once?

If so, you'll know what I mean.

In whole KOTOR, one finds x normal weapons and ~50% of x special weapons. At least that's what I feel I'm finding.

Sometimes I feel like every dumb henchman has a special droid-disruptor-x-pistol with endless bonuses.

IMO one should only get special weapons from quests (like the Genoharadan-blaster) or unique enemies like Nord.

well, i would hardly consider diablo II the standard to judge all rpg's by. at least i certainly hope not. :)

come to think of it though, the only place to get special wepaons from this game was to pay extremely high prices for them, small min-game type quests like the passworded strongbox, or bosses. i don't remeber once picking up a great item, (other than maybe some mandalorian weapons off madalorian sidequests....which makes sense in my opinion) let alone an upgradable one off some random henchman. dark jedi fights sometimes got you decent crystals, but all in all, i haven't the slightest idea what you're referring to.

actually you're pretty dead on about dII's item system. it was GREAT. i just didn't care too much for the hack n' slash nature of the game.

more item classes would have been nice. or even upgradable items that had upgrades that were not generic, so that the items could be more quest related. you get this item and must do this, this and this to receive the items to upgrade it.

personally i was a little preturbed that the best items in the game really depended on you having an @ssload of money just lying around.

ya D2 isn't the best example of an RPG but the item system is amazing, the top items are extremely rare and even just magic items where only seen every 5-10 guys u kill, unless you had a ring or sumtin with a high MF, well back to KOTOR, ya you find to many special weapons, but it's not a ridiculous # of them

When I mentioned force jump, I meant that it be used during combat, for e.g. to flip over an opponent's head while delivering a blow. This is one of the many moves availabe in JA, and I felt the combat in KotOR could be enhanced by adding the moves and stances from JA in KotOR, the same way special attacks such as flurry and power attack feats are used. It doesn't mean I like JA's combat system better. I mentioned it because I felt KotOR could be improved greatly by adding a few of JA's features to it. Don't get me wrong, I still think KotOR's a superb game just the way it is now.:D

here's the problem. JA combat features would be useless in KotOR. they would merely be animations that made things look cooler. as all attacks, and received damage, in this game are based upon the roll of dice. being able to flip over someone's head in the middle of combat means nothing in this game. it would serve no purpose other than to look cool.

so, what you're saying is that you want new animations for KotOR. essentially that is the only difference new stances etc would make in this game.

combat action combos are for FPS, or Third Person Shooters in the case of JA and JO, and cannot transition over into an RPG like this without completely changing the entire nature of the existing combat system. and personally i don't want it changed that much just so i can jump over someone's head in the middle of a fight. especially when it would turn a lightsaber duel into the chaotic frenzy it was in JO and JA.

now some extra animations/stances would be great for lightsabers. as stated before, lightsabers have stances far different than melee weapons. as they should considering touching a melee weapon won't burn your fingers off on contact. but even aside from the practical issues, historically there are learned stances for lightsaber combat.

so new animations/stances would be nice. but personally i wouldn't want to lose the entire existing combat system just for the ability to jump over someone's head. people forget that just because the graphics are bigger and the combat system is real- time, does in no way make this game an action/shooter/FPS game. it is still turn-based combat and it is still an RPG. if you want to see how much better combat looks now as compared to what it used to look like, go get baldur's gate. graphic size has increased significantly, and battle moves/spell effetcs have become much more graphically intensive. so i think KotOR is fine the way it is in that sense. animations like you are discussing will be added in time. they just got to the point there at, give them a little time. (though i would have liked LA to have worked in their historically recorded saber stances.)

so, to summarize, i guess i will have to say it once again. if you want to play a FPS, play a FPS. you can't compare the two games. yes, JO and JA may attempt to add RPG elements to an FPS. but comparing the games combat-wise is silly. they are TOO different. and i will take KotOR over the silliness of saber-combat in JA anydya. until they add some sort of target lock like the one that exists in soul reaver to the JK srries it will always be the most horrible portrayal of saber combat in existence.

Hey, new here...

First a comment on the items and the comparison to d2's system. It may not be realistic to find a large portion of "special" items (unless you consider in real life, you don't just find "pistols", you'd find a .[calibre] [brand] [model], so every weapon is in effect special), but it's still more realistic than d2's system. Finding a magical claymore on a nightmare fallen?? OK, yea, I can see those guys running around with them. ;) It's also easier on the gameplay. In d2 there's all these "white" items laying around that you really don't care to pick up past 2nd level. So why are they there? What purpose do they serve?

And because you don't actually see a blaster on every enemy you kill that had a blaster, I think the idea is they only show you the special items--for the most part. Because that's the only item you'd want to bother picking up and lugging around. I'd certainly be disappointed if I spent the whole game picking up regular blasters and vibroswords every time I "get items" that I can only pawn for 20 gold each, that just eat up space in my inventory thus wasting my time when I look for equipment I want to use. Unless I want to drop them, which takes time by itself. It happens enough as it is, any more useless crap floating around in my inventory would drive me mad.

And now... my answer to the challenge. :) Mine isn't unique, I'm going to assume it's already been discussed on these forums (was touched on this thread as well), so I won't elaborate on it much. I'll just put it forward, because it is the change I would have most wanted.

Change: Allow more character options at startup, such as appearance, voice, and race.

Impact: This would afford the game more replayability. Options equate to replay value. When you only have a small number of possible options available, and the actual difference is minimal, replayability is accordingly limited.

Negatives: Delayed release date. Harder to balance (which is not so important for a single-player only game).

Let me be the first to welcome you to our little place :D

Well...Hello!

OK let's get to serious business.

I used to play D2 all the time and seriously, besides having such an easy way to equip items, the ridiculous amount of items and gold your enemies drop got sad. Also the normal items we're never picked up since the number of magical items found was horrible. And the enemies don't even use the weapons they drop...

Of course you'll find lots of stuff. That's why they made the item filter ;)

Balance IS important in an SP game. It would suck if playing a certain character type makes the game easier then playing another.

well then i guess you have to think KotOR sucks then. because there is no way around the fact that playing with a soldier is easier than playing with a scoundrel.

personally i would like more possible character classes, portraits, color options for clothes within your class.....so yes, i agree. more character creation options would have been nice. i was expecting more as well considering this was bioware and star wars. i mean, there were alot more class options in bgII. and there was the ability to take multiple classes and continue to level up BOTH classes however you wished.

Yeah, that's what I meant actually, cooler animations.

But I only hope they don't take too long to develop it. If I remember correctly, the first game I saw with blocking and dodging animation was "Soulbringer" from Infogrammes, which was released in early 2000 (though otherwise its graphics was backdated for the time). Bioware waited until NWN to put something like yhat in. "Summoner" from THQ had some of these animations as well, and it was released in early 2001. If anyone knows any more names please tell me. One of the main reasons I enjoyed NWN and KotOR far more than D2 o or BD2 are the animations. Of course I know there are a lot of people who will disagree!:D

Archived