Home

KotOR and KotOR2 Savegame Editor (KSE) - Current Version: 3.3.3

tk102

Hi.

I've just started to use the KSE editor and now the enemies are way stronger than normal (I'm at the beginning of the game).

How can I increase my strength without increasing the strength of the enemies?

If I remember correctly, the engine scales enemy level with PC level. In fact, all of Bioware's AD&D-based games have this feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if i sound a bit noobish, but can anyone plz help me? when i use KSE 3.33 to edit my xbox saves, i followed the readme that came with the product but it keeps saying no saves found for TSL. I even used it with all the numbers that came with it when i copied it from the xbox UDATA and it refuses to work. Can anyone plz give me a tutorial to use it with xbox saves?

Thanks in advance.

All the info I have on the subject is in the kse-readme.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Manually specifying the game installation path (Xbox users take heed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can manually specify the installation path for KotOR or TSL by right clicking

the node that says "Knights of the Old Republic" or "The Sith Lords". A popup

menu will appear next to your cursor. Choose 'Change Installation Path' and you

will be prompted to browse for the installation folder. The tree will be updated

automatically if savegames are found. Note that KSE expects the following files and

file structure:

\dialog.tlk

\saves\(various save folders)\savegame.sav

\saves\(various save folders)\savenfo.res

\saves\(various save folders)\globalvars.res

\saves\(various save folders)\partytable.res

\texturepacks\swpc_tex_gui.erf [OPTIONAL - for item/spell/portrait picture display]

\override\(.2da files or .uti files) [OPTIONAL]

(As of v3.3.3, the chitin.key and various .bif files are not required)

Note: Make sure you're specifying the mock installation folder when you tell KSE where you've "installed" TSL, not the "saves" folder.

Also, the savegame.sav file should be in \saves\somefoldername

There shouldn't be any other subfolders. What exactly is your directory structure that you're using? (If you're familiar with using a command prompt... from your mock installation folder you could do a "dir /s *.* > myfiles.txt" command and post the contents -- that would be quite helpful.)

Hi, me again. I have another problem. Whenever i copy the edited game over to my xbox, it says it is damaged if i try to load it. Anyone know whats goin on?

Also i was wondering whats with the gender options? how come there is a Both Gender? ;)

Thanks Again.

This corruption is due to the fact that KSE cannot update the SAVE_HEADER.sig file correctly, so you can only make limited modifications. More precisely, you can only replace things, you cannot add or remove things... things include character classes, inventory, force powers, even the number of letters in your character's name. You *might* be able to get away with adding something new and deleting something to balance it, but this is just conjecture on my part. I don't have an Xbox to test on.

Note the double-astrisks in this section of kse-readme.txt:

The following

fields are currently editable:

- Savegame name

- Player name

- NPC Name

- Appearance (player and party)

- Portrait (player and party)

- Attributes

- Skill Ranks

- Feats (add/remove)**

- Powers (add/remove)**

- Cheats Used flag

- Hit Points (current and max*)

- Force Points (current and max*)

- Experience Points (player and party)

- Good/Evil rating

- Credits

- Time played

- Class (see notes below)**

- Levels

- Current Party

- NPCs

- Global Booleans

- Global Numerics

- Min1HP

- Inventory**

- Influence (TSL only)

- Chemicals (TSL only)

- Components (TSL only)

- Quests

*=Note: Max Hit Points and Max Force Points, while editable appear to be calculated

at the time the savegame is loaded. Therefore while these fields are editable, the

game will change the values back to what it calculates as correct. It is therefore

better to change your Wis/Cha and Con to affect your MFP and MHP.

** Not supported on Xbox Saves, will cause "Damaged Savegame" message.

I have a problem with KSE. It doesn't work. I start it and nothing happens. I am using an English OS and Windows Xp. Also, I have shut down all the protection programs (like Zone alarms). It just doesn't work. I have both KOTOR and TSL. I have a few saves (what has left) in TSL and over 700 saves in KOTOR.

PLEASE HELP

Edit: Does it have to be installed or just extracted somewhere?

In Windows Explorer, first choose Tools: Folder Options and on the View tab, make sure you have unchecked Hide Extensions of Known File Types.

Then in Windows Explorer, right click in the KSE folder and choose New -> New Text Document. Rename the text document to kse.log.

How was I supossed to install kse in the first place after downloading it?

04-06-2007 15:51:37 KSE startup v3.3.3

Cannot open 'C:\DOCUME~1\IRI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\pdk-Širiæ-3016/boba.bmp' in mode 'r' at /PerlApp/Tk/Image.pm line 21, <DATA> line 171.

There

So does your username contain a diacritic or do you have a non-English OS? If so...

From sticky thread

• Symptom:
    KSE closes immediately launching.

Possible Causes:
    • You have logged in using a username with an accent mark, an umlaut, or other diacritic. This is a known bug associated with PerlApp.
    • You have a non-English OS

Possible Solutions:

• Try using KSEa, Kotor Savegame Editor Alternate, which is compiled with an earlier version of Perl without unicode implementations. This available at http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

I have a username that contains non english characters. I'll just make another account and I'll let ya know if it's better. By the way, thx for all this time and help :))

Edit: IT WORKED!! I downloaded the alternate version and it worked. Oh man thank you, I really needed KSE. Thank you so ****in much :)

• 5 weeks later...

This is a long thread and I'm sure it's been already asked, but I wasn't able to catch it. So, apologies in advance. :)

I've made some minor changes in the spells.2da file, but KSE wouldn't seem to agree with it. Then I've abandoned it and downloaded a mod named "Ultimate Sound Mod", causing the same problem. When I delete the spells.2da file in the Override folder, KSE starts working. Any way to make good friends with both the mod and KSE?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

I've made some minor changes in the spells.2da file' date=' but KSE wouldn't seem to agree with it. Then I've abandoned it and downloaded a mod named "Ultimate Sound Mod", causing the same problem. [/quote']Hello,

What exactly is the symptom? Does it give an error message like "Attempted to read past the end of dialog.tlk" or something similar? Does it close instantly?

Take a look at this thread first.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163778

You can get a lot more information about what exactly is causing KSE to crash if you follow the steps under the "Troubleshooting Other Problems" header at the bottom of that thread.

Hello,

What exactly is the symptom? Does it give an error message like "Attempted to read past the end of dialog.tlk" or something similar? Does it close instantly?

Take a look at this thread first.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163778

You can get a lot more information about what exactly is causing KSE to crash if you follow the steps under the "Troubleshooting Other Problems" header at the bottom of that thread.

Thanks for your interest, tk102. :)

I took a look at the topic you mentioned. The editor doesn't give me such an error message; it's just Windows' usual error report. It occurs whenever I put a modified spells.2da file into the Override folder. When I remove the file, things return to normal. For example, after installing the Ultimate Sound Mod, I had to delete the spells.2da file from override in order to get KSE up and running. The mod seems to be running with no problems after removing that file, so I don't have an actual trouble with it at the moment, but I wanted to let you know about the problem in case you may encounter a similar problem in the future.

Ah, is the 2da file that's in your override readable in notepad? If so, these are called v2.0 2da files and KSE only knows how to read v2.b 2da files. You can convert between the two by opening the v2.0 2da file in Excel (space delimited) and then "Write 2DA" using the Excel 2DA Add-in available from http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

Did you try creating a kse.log file for KSE to write into? In windows explorer just right click and choose New->New Text Document and then rename the file to kse.log and say yes when it asks you if you want to change the extension. Then try opening KSE again (with spells.2da in the override). After KSE crashes, look at the contents of the kse.log in notepad.

Have you tried running in "XP Compatibility Mode" and "Run As Administrator" ?

Yes, both at the same time. I double click the executable but there's no visible response. Nothing new shows up on the Task Manager either.

Edit: 3.3.2a seems to be working.

Ah, is the 2da file that's in your override readable in notepad? If so, these are called v2.0 2da files and KSE only knows how to read v2.b 2da files. You can convert between the two by opening the v2.0 2da file in Excel (space delimited) and then "Write 2DA" using the Excel 2DA Add-in available from http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

Did you try creating a kse.log file for KSE to write into? In windows explorer just right click and choose New->New Text Document and then rename the file to kse.log and say yes when it asks you if you want to change the extension. Then try opening KSE again (with spells.2da in the override). After KSE crashes, look at the contents of the kse.log in notepad.

The file isn't totally readable. But I've created a kse.log file, and here is the crash report KSE generated:

05-07-2007 17:07:00 KSE startup v3.3.3

05-07-2007 17:07:00 KSE found KotOR1 saves directory in D:\Oyunlar\SWKotOR

05-07-2007 17:07:00 KSE found KotOR2 saves directory in D:\Oyunlar\SWKotOR2

05-07-2007 17:07:04 KotOR2 spells.2da override detected.

Somehow it didn't like my spells.2da. Strange.

Archived