Home

MI2 - Lost or Legend?

Have to say, They were all amazing in there own way But for me, i think i have to agree with you and say m2 really was the best!

M1 had it all really but M2 gave you all the in jokes as well as a great game, M3 was a little anti climactic and M4 was good but gybrush never should be 3-D!

• 1 month later...

I agree. Monkey Island 2 (and The Secret of Monkey Island) are my fav(s). I like the background art expecially. Its darker then the newer ones. I didn't like the cartoony look in MI3 and MI4. To me...I didn't really count MI3 and MI4 as part of the series. Yeah, they were funny, and good, but they just didn't satisfy me for more monkeying around. There were things about it that wern't as good as the first too.

For me, Monkey Island 2, is the last of the series right now. I leave the story of there...

• 3 weeks later...

What do I think of MI2? Meh.

It was good. They were all good, but I just didn't liek it as much. My ranking, from favorite to least, is Secret, then Escape, then CMI and MI2 are tied for third. But they are all way ahead of most games I've ever played. Definetly the top of my adventure games list.

IMO MI2 was really great, and It's amazing what they could do with that old vga graphics, but from a design standpoint I must say MI3.. actually I haven't played it that much, but I've seen a lot of the layouts and think they've really captured the atmos that I was looking for in a game like MI.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of all of the Monkeys island games LeChuck is the best evil Character although after Monkeys Island 2 he has become less frightening and less detailed as we made the change to 3D.

I think Largo LaGrande is the 2 best evil Character in Monkeys Island. I believe that in Monkeys Island 5 Lucasarts should take the game back to its most successful format and most enjoyable era in full 2D.

They should bring back Largo LaGrande in the next Monkeys Island game because he is pure evil; just like all dwarfs are bad tempered they always think your making fun of them, and are very insulting.

They should return him to Scabb Island so he can stroll back to Woodtick to his famous theme tune to stay at The Swamp Rot Inn again as well as wreaking havoc banning all pirates from leaving the island and charging a toll for crossing the bridge. Do you think this will happen i hope it will.

In my Opinion if Lucasarts decided to go back to 2D for Monkeys Island 5 that would be classed as original now a days because 2D is rarely used. Just look at Viewtifull Joe its won awards for being the most original game and it was one of last year's best sellers its very popular.

Fact Monkeys island 1 and 2 are the most successful games in the series and have won many awards, and they managed to stay in the top 10 of the PC and Amiga 600 charts from when they were first released back in 1990 and 1991 for over 7 years from that date now that’s successful, and no game has managed that before.

Monkeys Island 3, and 4 introduced 3D to the series and ever since in my opinion no other Monkeys Island game has ever come close to being as good as Monkeys Island 1, 2 or as massively successful.

I wish that Lucasarts return to 2D for Monkeys Island 5.

I wish that Lucasarts return to 2D for Monkeys Island 5.

I think that lucasarts may consider themselves at the point of no return. They've gone past scumm and gone into full 3D, so they might think that thay can't digress on the graphical scale. But I certainly would not be dissapointed to see a 2D, point and click MI5. I won't be sad if they don't, but I hope they know that it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Thats Exactly what i think too,

Lucasarts have these offical Luasarts forums so they can see the views of fans of Monkeys Isalnd. I have no dout in my mind that they read them to gather information of what we would like Monkeys Island 5 to be like.

Heres what i would like to say to any Lucasarts staff who read this whilst scanning these forums for views of the hardcore Monkey Island fans.

I have looked at many various Monkeys Island fansites like the Scumm Bar this forum and many others aswell and the 2 things i continue to see is. Fans like myself talking of how good Monkeys Island 1, 2 were compared to Monkeys Island 3, 4 and how much they would like to see Monkeys Island 5 retun to full 2D.

The reason we continue to play Monkeys Island 1, 2 is because they are a whole lot better than the 3, 4. We feel a sense of nostalgia when playing them we must return to the glory years of what Monkeys Island 1,2 achived.

Lucasarts return Monkeys Island to 2D again it would be honouring the fans wishes becasue thats the way Monkeys Island should be.

Originally posted by Largo LaGrande

Point 1: In my Opinion if Lucasarts decided to go back to 2D for Monkeys Island 5 that would be classed as original now a days because 2D is rarely used. Just look at Viewtifull Joe its won awards for being the most original game and it was one of last year's best sellers its very popular.

Point 2: Fact Monkeys island 1 and 2 are the most successful games in the series and have won many awards, and they managed to stay in the top 10 of the PC and Amiga 600 charts from when they were first released back in 1990 and 1991 for over 7 years from that date now that’s successful, and no game has managed that before.

Point 3: Monkeys Island 3, and 4 introduced 3D to the series and ever since in my opinion no other Monkeys Island game has ever come close to being as good as Monkeys Island 1, 2 or as massively successful.

Ok, I numbered your thought so I can have my say easier.

1. My point meant that I wanted a new and exciting story, the one you described in your previous post was a remake of MI2, I meant that they shouldn't just rehash old success.

2.They may have been that popular, but it was like 7 years ago, alot changes in the gaming market in that amount of time.

3. I don't know where you played Monkey island 3, but the one I played was in absolutely beautiful 2D. Painted by the marvelous Bill Tiller. Also, even though some fans say that 3 is not as good as 1 and 2, you will find that a good majority of them love it just as much if not more. MI4 is the only one where you will have difficulty finding many people who liked it. And these people are hardcore fans who have been playing the seriers since the begining so they see the plotholes. The casual gamers who picked up MI4 as their first game in the series often really enjoy it.

In my previous post what I said wasn’t asking for a remake of MI2.

I said that for Monkeys Island 5 Lucasarts should take the game back to its most successful format and most enjoyable era in full 2D. They should bring back Largo LaGrande in the next Monkeys Island game.

The following was a suggestion as well as having LeChuck because, Largo making a return to Woodtick I don’t think would be a bad Idea and I would like to see it happen. It doesn’t mean the Monkeys Island 5 would be a remake of monkeys Island 2 just because Largos in it.

Monkeys Island 3 was in 2D Painted by Bill Tiller.

If you have played Monkeys Island 3 you will realise there were 3D elements in it. I said that Monkeys Island 3, and 4 introduced elements of 3D. MI4 full 3D and MI3 for 1 example at the very begging your on a Pirate ship with Wally and pirates are coming across the water when you use the cannon to shoot the pirates out of the water its in 3D 3 dimensional.

Personally I think MI3 was the demise of the series. What should of been a sequel to the amazing MI2 and had the perfect platform on which to continue the legacy to further sucess. Turned out to be nothing more than Guybrush changing from Pirate to Pansy with Dragons Lair graphics.

You are obviously one of the casual gamers you talk about who picked up MI4 as their first game in the series and really enjoy it.

Because you said this

They you were referring to MI1, MI2 may have been that popular, but it was like 7 years ago, a lot changes in the gaming market in that amount of time.

If you were a hardcore Monkeys Island fan like myself who was around when they were first released on the Amiga 500, 600 you would also realise Monkeys Island 1 and 2 are a lot older than 7 years.

If you read correctly what I actually said is Monkeys Island 1 and 2 are the most successful games in the series and have won many awards, and they managed to stay in the top 10 of the PC and Amiga 600 charts from when they were first released back in 1990 and 1991 for over 7 years from that date now that’s successful, and no game has managed that before.

MI1 is 14 years old and MI2 is 13 years old.

Next question Yes Monkeys Island 3 and 4 where very good but In comparison what did Monkeys Island 3 and 4 achieve.

Did they stay in the charts for over 7 years from release and did they pick up loads of awards. Why does MI1 and MI2 still sell more copys than MI3 and MI4. Why do we still talk about MI1, MI2 more than MI3, MI4, and why do we keep playing MI1, MI2 more.

New to this forum, but I'll add my two cents having played the first two monkey islands ages ago when they first came out.

A lot of people's fondness of Mi2 comes from the same source as mine, that is the wonderful, fond memories of playing the game many years ago. Those precious moments playing it are still unbeatable for me. It was a game that was utterly beautiful to look at, (a real step up from Mi2 in my mind), that had such a beautiful storyline. Matter of fact, over a decade since I played the first two, I'm looking to buy them again so I can enjoy once more the games that to me really defined what a good game should be.

More often than not sequels disappoint me, but I thought monkey island 2 was better in ever respect to monkey island 1 It surprised me immensely! It felt more piratey, more warm, and engrossing than any other game I've played to since (Including the last two installments of the MI series)

The ending was the cherry on the cake, an unconventional funny twist that was more memorable and witty than any "and they lived happily ever after"

Monkey Island 2 was the first and only gave I've ever actually had a dream about lol. (it was about the sawing the peg leg puzzle that had me stuck for like 2 weeks!). For me, Lucasarts could put voice overs and fresh 2d graphics on Mi2, stamp Mi5 on the cover, and I'd be camping outside the video game store to buy it at opening time. But some of the appeal was the rustic nature of the old graphics, and the pleasure of reading the text yourself. I just want more of what Mi2 was.

Archived