Home

naboo & gungans

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What!?!? Are you serious?

A Mercenary is neither an assasin, nor a Bounty Hunter.

A few meanings for the word 'Mercenary' are-

1. "hired to fight for a foreign ruler, army, or cause"

2. "a soldier serving for pay in a foreign army"

Which is exactly what the Hutt forces would be, hence the mix of Weequay's, Rodian's, Human's etc.

vostok - PROVE IT. We see that in Ep6, Jabba isnt concerned about holding Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa and Han Solo prisoner and trying to execute them. Considering it would be difficult not to know how powerful the alliance was, dont you think Jabba would have at least a reasonably strong force to repel and attacks made against him?

Besides, as i said, the greatest strength of the Hutt Cartel is their abilities at economic warfare.

Well, first of all, as i said before, the Hutt unique building generates credits, and so the hutts have less reliance on collecting resources. In addition, they gain more credits through trading than other civs do (smuggling). This then allows the Hutts to expand quickly and without wasting resources on workers and resource buildings, plus gives them a surplus and source of income if there are no resources left on the map.

I was also thinking about giving them a unit or ability to steal other civ's credits, though im not too sure about that one yet.

Name one war they didnt fight in.

Before you start rattling off things about the Civil War and Clone War, i should take this opportunity to point out that they were indeed involved in the Cvil War, and just because we didnt see and Hutt battles didnt mean that none took place.

Thats how Windu has always answered his questions he can never provide a strong core in his arguments. Ohhh I thought you didn't believe in EU so if none of the so called "Hutt Battles" were in the film I guess you don't believe they ever existed.

Go back and evade some more its what your good at.

luke - that is true, we never saw them fight. However, to use another of my never-ending real-world examples, Sweden has been neutral for over a century, even with conflicts like WW1 and WW2 raging all around it, and yet did (and still does) maintain a standing army, navy and airforce.

Who is to say the Hutts dont do the same thing? (ie. just because they dont fight doesnt mean they cant fight)

frozo - how many wars did we see the Wookiees (as a civ) in?

Windu - Your real-world example is, once again, irrelevant. The Hutt Cartel is not a country or even a planet, it is an underworld crime syndicate. Therefore any real-world comparisons you should make need to be with the Mafia, the Yakuza, or any other underworld crime syndicate.

As for asking my to PROVE IT: it is a well known fact that it is impossible to prove something doesn't exist. It is only possible to prove something does exist. Therefore I can't prove Hutt Cartel wars to exist, they can only be proved to exist. Therefore it is up to you to prove they exist.

But putting the intellectualism aside for a moment - the Hutt Cartel has never gone to battle not only in the movies, but throughout all of EU. I think this says something that you cannot ignore.

As for your example of holding Luke, Han and Leia hostage: I think the fact that these three (and Lando and the droids) were able to kill all of Jabba's force provides more evidence he doesn't have an army, especially when said army doesn't retaliate against the Rebellion for killing Jabba.

Nitro - Umm, unless I was watching the wrong movie trilogy, I'm quite sure Chewie fought in the Galactic Civil War.

just because we didnt see and Hutt battles didnt mean that none took place.

That has to be the worst arguement I've seen anyone use. Hey, lets give the Empire droidekas! Just because we didnt see them used doesnt mean they weren't used!

And everyone step back from the whole "can the Hutt's fight a war" thing. Look at it like this: civs need to hit the chopping board and who would you rather have in your game, the Hutts or the Rebels? Add that to the fact that they aren't a distinct civ, with a standing amry or the ability to declare war, they rank lower than the Wookies on the "fits the game ideal".

Vostok - with Sweden, thje point i was trying to make is that a nation or organisation doesnt have to get involved in wars in order to have military forces.

Also, as i said before, the onus is on you to prove they didnt fight, as that is your whole argument.

Finally, with Luke etc, he was a Jedi and Jabba was unprepared.

Archived